X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gglibertine
    Adept
    • Dec 2007

Using monsters to your own advantage

The other day, I discovered an interesting strategy for clearing out a trap-filled vault that was filled with dreads. I TP'd away so I wouldn't get surrounded, re-approached the area cautiously, and was able to kill each of them individually after they'd helpfully picked up all the treasure for me. The next time I did it on purpose. Works like a CHARM, unless there are blessed objects they can't pick up.

Polymorphing monsters into something immobile to block a corridor seems to work well too, although it's a bit hit or miss.

Has anyone else found any interesting ways to make use of monsters?
  • Bowman
    Apprentice
    • Oct 2015

Ah, yes, ghosts bringing you all of those items from vaults and graveyards is quite thoughtful of them. Titans and ainur can do the same thing (provided they can pathfind and push past whatever is in the way).

Umber hulks can be nice for making shortcuts if you don't have a good way of digging through granite yourself.

Luring tramplers to get rid of drujs and Q's can be worthwhile if it'd be too risky to get line of sight on them for yourself. Huan is probably the king of clearing out vaults on the player's behalf

If you have immunity to their breaths, you can get hell hound packs to help chip in some damage against beefy melee foes (works with any breathers, of course, but I think it's more trouble than it's worth try using a great hell wyrm like that ).

Comment

• Therem Harth
      Knight
      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Bowman
      Luring tramplers to get rid of drujs and Q's can be worthwhile if it'd be too risky to get line of sight on them for yourself. Huan is probably the king of clearing out vaults on the player's behalf
      Huh, I've never tried that. Love the image of Huan clearing a vault though.

"Good dog! Go get 'em!"

Comment

• gglibertine
        Adept
        • Dec 2007

I kind of like the idea of being able to train a monster to help you out. Maybe there should be some kind of "Thrall" spell or something for at least temporarily getting something to attack other monsters? Or maybe just a "Bedlam" type spell that would make all the monsters attack everything indiscriminately? So they might hit you, or they might hit other monsters -- setting that off and tp'ing out could be a fun way to clear a monster pit!

I was actually thinking the other day that immunities are awfully hard to come by... how well do resistances stack? Is there a point at which multiple resistances equal immunity? I was wondering if Dragon Scale Mail of Craftsmanship should confer immunity instead of just resistance.

Idle thoughts.

Comment

• Bowman
          Apprentice
          • Oct 2015

Resistances don't stack, aside from temporary + permanent cutting fire/cold/acid/electric/poison damage to 1/9. Probably a good thing, because elemental immunity is a very strong attribute.

Comment

• gglibertine
            Adept
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Bowman
            Resistances don't stack, aside from temporary + permanent cutting fire/cold/acid/electric/poison damage to 1/9. Probably a good thing, because elemental immunity is a very strong attribute.
            It is, but it's exceedingly rare to get even one -- the only one I've ever gotten that I can recall is the acid immunity from the Shield of Thorin, other than the various racial benefits. (I'm quite taken with Kobolds at the moment because poison immunity is exceedingly valuable!)

Comment

• Derakon
              Prophet
              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by gglibertine
              It is, but it's exceedingly rare to get even one -- the only one I've ever gotten that I can recall is the acid immunity from the Shield of Thorin, other than the various racial benefits. (I'm quite taken with Kobolds at the moment because poison immunity is exceedingly valuable!)
              They aren't immune, just resistant; however, resisting poison does prevent you from getting the "poisoned" status effect. They take 1/3rd normal damage from elemental poison attacks.

Comment

• Egavactip
                Swordsman
                • Mar 2012

No, I would not say exceedingly rare. By any late endgame I am likely to have at least one immunity and often more than one. I don't think I have ever had all four at once, though. On at least one occasion I've had three without having to swap. I think that character did not win, though!

Comment

• MadeOfBees
                  Scout
                  • Apr 2013

I kind of like the idea of being able to train a monster to help you out. Maybe there should be some kind of "Thrall" spell or something for at least temporarily getting something to attack other monsters? Or maybe just a "Bedlam" type spell that would make all the monsters attack everything indiscriminately? So they might hit you, or they might hit other monsters -- setting that off and tp'ing out could be a fun way to clear a monster pit!

Idle thoughts.
                  This might be too powerful unless they also attack and destroy treasure indiscriminately. There are a lot of insanely powerful monsters, imagine doing such a thing to a dracolich or something similar.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                    Prophet
                    • Apr 2008

Has anyone else found any interesting ways to make use of monsters?
                    You should have played comp 182
                    PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Rowan
                      Adept
                      • Sep 2014

I can't express enough love for the Shield of Thorin. Some of my most hated enemies are acid breathers/casters.

I'm a really cautious player, and love exploring, so I often get multiple immunities by the end. Currently immune to acid, fire, and frost. Comfy!

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎