• Show
Clear All
  • PowerWyrm
    Prophet
    • Apr 2008

I wonder what happened to Frodo...

Code:
    t) the Phial of Galadriel <+3>
         Found [B]under some rubble[/B] at 1450 feet (level 29).

Cannot be harmed by fire.
         Radius 3 light.

When activated, it lights up a radius-3 area, or the entire room if you
         are in one, inflicting 2d15 points of damage on any light-sensitive
         creatures within the radius every 11 to 20 turns.
         Your chance of success is 95.4%
    PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!
  • Rydel
    Apprentice
    • Jul 2008

Frodo got down to level 99 and beat Sauron, but since he hadn't maxed his DEX, The One Ring got stolen by a seriously out of depth Smeagol. After such a huge loss, he just went back to town and quit.
    I'm trying to think of an analogy, and the best I can come up with is Angband is like fishing for sharks, and Sil is like hunting a bear with a pocket knife and a pair of chopsticks. It's not great. -Nick

Comment

• Bimbul
      Adept
      • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Rydel
      Frodo got down to level 99 and beat Sauron, but since he hadn't maxed his DEX, The One Ring got stolen by a seriously out of depth Smeagol. After such a huge loss, he just went back to town and quit.
      He did manage to kick some serious ass in town when back though - even took down Saruman and Wormtongue while he was at it

Comment

• krugar
        Apprentice
        • Sep 2010

I'm the Voice of Sauron. The hobbit you call Frodo was a coward orphaned thieving hobbit that dropped everything, including his hopeless quest to destroy that which his rightfully ours. At the first sight of danger he delivered himself to my master hoping for his life to be spared. But my master does not suffer the living. And thus he passed to the realm of the dead where he will forever serve us.

The little meaningless trinket you found is of no interest to my master, hence it having been lost and never searched for. That which is His, is already in our possession. You should go back. There is nothing here for you and your cause is lost.

Shoo!

Comment

• Rowan
          Adept
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Bimbul
          He did manage to kick some serious ass in town when back though - even took down Saruman and Wormtongue while he was at it
          Yeah but since then, Frodo quit playing Vanilla and now he plays nothing but ValinorBand. Are there even any monsters in that variant?! Tch.

Still, I gotta say I'm impressed- Frodo beat Sauron after squelching all weapons and armor. Pretty impressive.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
            Veteran
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Rowan
            Yeah but since then, Frodo quit playing Vanilla and now he plays nothing but ValinorBand. Are there even any monsters in that variant?! Tch.

Still, I gotta say I'm impressed- Frodo beat Sauron after squelching all weapons and armor. Pretty impressive.
            Still waiting for Nick to introduce lava. Then @ lucky enough to find The One can just throw it in and Sauron dies immediately.
            “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
            ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Monkey Face
              Adept
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
              Still waiting for Nick to introduce lava. Then @ lucky enough to find The One can just throw it in and Sauron dies immediately.
              Don't you need Sméagol to steal it from you and fall in the lava?

Comment

• Bimbul
                Adept
                • Sep 2015

Nah, just need a new stat 'Will'

18 potions of Will, stacked to !200 and you're good.

Comment

• Rowan
                  Adept
                  • Sep 2014

Hahaha- I dunno, I kinda agree with Monkey-Face. I would bet the One can't be thrown.

Comment

• Therem Harth
                    Knight
                    • Jan 2008

So, maybe this is the wrong place, but: one of the few things I still like about the LOTR trilogy is the lack of any concept of "saving throw." If anything, those possessed of strong "will" - Elves and Maiar and the like - are in more danger from the Ring's influence.

There are only two people in the trilogy who wear the Ring and avoid its influence:
                    - Tom Bombadil, who is completely unaffected, because he's Tom Bombadil. It has no power over him, but then it doesn't give him any power either.
                    - Samwise Gamgee, who puts it on to rescue Frodo and then gives the Ring back to him.

I've heard Tolkien hated allegory, but I'd say this is allegory, and not bad allegory either.

Comment

• Rowan
                      Adept
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Therem Harth
                      - Samwise Gamgee, who puts it on to rescue Frodo and then gives the Ring back to him.

I've heard Tolkien hated allegory, but I'd say this is allegory, and not bad allegory either.
                      I like your points. There's no concept of someone being powerful enough not to be at risk, and in some cases the more power a person has, the greater the risk.

Sam giving back the Ring I think is because he was in possession of it for such a short time. Bilbo had trouble leaving the Ring to Frodo because he'd owned it for 60-70 years or something, casually using and wearing it- but he still left it in the end. Frodo had owned it for 17 years, using it very rarely, but it was in his possession and working on his will that whole time. Sam never "owned" the Ring, but he took it from Frodo to carry on the quest and only had it for a brief time, and he was still tempted and had thoughts of keeping it even though he didn't.

Then again Sam is also everyone's favorite little badass so maybe he's just awesome, haha.

I do think Tolkien avoided allegory, though the themes of the times he lived in as well as his faith are indisputably present in his story. He seems to have avoided direct representation and allegorical symbolism though, whatever associations we might make afterward

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎