Clear All
  • Bogatyr
    Knight
    • Feb 2014

I think he wants them back

• Estie
    Veteran
    • Apr 2008

I wouldnt strike any deals with that one, he is shifty.

Comment

• Rowan
      Adept
      • Sep 2014

He's not losing any sleep over their absence.

Comment

• brbrbr
        Adept
        • Sep 2015

On the same topic:

Shouldn't Wormtongue always drop boots of Wormtongue at death? I think so..

Also, Shelob spider must die immediately if you throw Phial of Galadriel at her. (According to Tolkien)

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
          Prophet
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by brbrbr
          Also, Shelob spider must die immediately if you throw Phial of Galadriel at her. (According to Tolkien)
          She didn't die at encounter with Sam and Frodo. What did make most damage was Sting when she tried to crush Sam which happened to have Sting pointing at her. She basically threw herself at the sword. Light from Phial just hurt her.

Comment

• Rowan
            Adept
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
            She didn't die at encounter with Sam and Frodo. What did make most damage was Sting when she tried to crush Sam which happened to have Sting pointing at her. She basically threw herself at the sword. Light from Phial just hurt her.
            She is hurt by bright light *nodnod* It would be pretty cool if getting hit by Sting caused her to be afraid.

Comment

• Bimbul
              Adept
              • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Rowan
              She is hurt by bright light *nodnod* It would be pretty cool if getting hit by Sting caused her to be afraid.

That's quite Nethacky - Jabberwocks are killed by one blow with Vorpal blade for example. I quite like that it dares to be different.

Comment

• Rowan
                Adept
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Bimbul
                That's quite Nethacky - Jabberwocks are killed by one blow with Vorpal blade for example. I quite like that it dares to be different.
                I just thought it'd be fun flavor- it doesn't seem practical to carry around a cartload of artifacts just for a tiny bonus against specific uniques.

Comment

• Bimbul
                  Adept
                  • Sep 2015

Oh indeed - I never used Vorpal blade in Nethack for its effect on Jabberwocks (which are tough in netback but easily handled anyway when you get to the depth where they live). Personally I found that flavour unnecessary in Nethack.
                  I used Vorpal blade for two reasons - (a) artifacts are *much* rarer in Nethack so when you get one, you use it typically and (b) it's a damn good weapon generally. Possibly top 3 in Nethack (Excalibur and Grayswandir the other 2 -for me).

Sting doesn't glow when orc are around in Angband, yet it does in Nethack
                  That *is* kind of the wrong way around.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                    Prophet
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Rowan
                    Phial had capability to hurt her though. It was bright, really really bright at the hands of Sam at that scene. IIRC it was described to be like lightning that doesn't go away or something like that.

IMO Phial should be the top light source of the game. It was made by Galadriel who was relative to Feanor who made the Silmarils and it was made to be a light source. Other two are just jewels. Galadriel was one of the very first noldor, very skilled and very powerful being, learned things directly from Aule.

Comment

• Bimbul
                      Adept
                      • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
                      Phial had capability to hurt her though. It was bright, really really bright at the hands of Sam at that scene. IIRC it was described to be like lightning that doesn't go away or something like that.

IMO Phial should be the top light source of the game. It was made by Galadriel who was relative to Feanor who made the Silmarils and it was made to be a light source. Other two are just jewels. Galadriel was one of the very first noldor, very skilled and very powerful being, learned things directly from Aule.
                      Weilding a Ring of Power with powers of preservation and life (iirc)

Not sure about all of that myself though - 3rd age was a time of fading for the Elves albeit, quite correct that Galadriel was (if you read the convoluted notes reproduced by Christopher Tolkien) possibly the second 'greatest' of the Noldor after Feanor. I'm never sure what Tolkien meant by all that 'he/she was the tallest and noblest' stuff but I suspect it's just poetic hyperbole reminscent of epics like the Iliad and Beowulf. 'Greatest' doesn't need to be skilled as a smith though. One could argue that the jewel of Arwen is a thing made by a close descendent of a Maiar (Melian), as well as also a close-ish relative of Feanor.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                        Prophet
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Bimbul
                        One could argue that the jewel of Arwen is a thing made by a close descendent of a Maiar (Melian), as well as also a close-ish relative of Feanor.
                        But it was still just a jewel, not a light source. Phial was created as light source.

Comment

• brbrbr
                          Adept
                          • Sep 2015

Ordinary Lantern of True Sight is better then the Phial.
                          Poor Galadrial, her masterpiece gets regularly dumped in favor to common brass...

Comment

• Bimbul
                            Adept
                            • Sep 2015

Not having to constantly think of refuelling is a big quality of life improvement for me.

But yeah, I don't know why I hold on to it sometimes. It would be good if it did more damage when activated for me.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                              Prophet
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by brbrbr
                              Ordinary Lantern of True Sight is better then the Phial.
                              Poor Galadrial, her masterpiece gets regularly dumped in favor to common brass...
                              Artifact lights have radius 3 light. Lanterns only 2. True Sight matters only if you don't have those attributes from elsewhere, usually from helmet of seeing.

Phial also has activation to illuminate room which is useful for warriors.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎