X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bio_hazard
    Knight
    • Dec 2008

Yet Another Endgame Advce Thread

Ok- this guy is approaching the end game. Gnome mage, ~CL40, DL81. Looking at my ladder this is apparently terra incognito for me.

I've been more or less heading straight down, and I've avoided fighting anything tough because my damage output is just not very good. I've tried to use wands but have had bad luck with recharging and haven't been able to generate a stack of any of them. My speed seems OK- I could throw on another speed ring but my feeling is the con ring might be more important right now.

I'm going to go a little slower now because I really need those spell books, plus I need to start knocking off a few more uniques and gaining some levels.

The bow seems to do pretty well damage-wise so I'm thinking that plus wands (if I can find any more) might make for a good enough offensive supplement for Sauron, but I'm not sure that will be enough for Morgy. Thoughts on a gnome mage endgame?

Anything else I should be looking for in particular? Any consumables to watch out for? Presumably I'll get books to help with banishment/destruction/runes soon!

• Derakon
    Prophet
    • Dec 2009

Wow, you've gotten awful luck with spellbooks. The really big ones you want are Tenser's Transformations, for Greater Recharging which is much less likely to blow up wands, and Kelek's Grimoire of Power, which has Banishment, Mass Banishment, and Mana Storm. And Word of Destruction, I think. Kelek's is huge. Unfortunately it's also pretty rare. Keep an eye out for those vaults!

Also, you want to get your CON up ASAP. More hitpoints = more better. I wouldn't value your current body armor especially highly; if you can find some dwarven body armor with a decent CON bonus it'd probably be worth using instead.

Comment

• bio_hazard
      Knight
      • Dec 2008

I think I've seen 3/4 priest books, and just picked up my 4th copy of Raal's. I've been fairly liberal with teleport other in vaults but I haven't seen many recently or else they were the kind that are not easy to raid.

Just found immFire boots as a nice swap, and switched my shield for a dwarven shield so HP ~500 now.

Comment

• yyt16384
        Scout
        • Jan 2015

You can drop those speed potions and wands of TO. You don't need them as a mage. You can also drop some of the spellbooks.

With your current HP and speed you can TO most monsters safely. You can clear most vaults by waiting at the entry and TO everything dangerous.

IIRC, 4.0.0 has the artifact generation bug, so you won't be getting a lot of artifacts.

Comment

• Bogatyr
          Knight
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by bio_hazard
          Ok- this guy is approaching the end game. Gnome mage, ~CL40, DL81. Looking at my ladder this is apparently terra incognito for me.
          The monsters on DL98 are not all that much harder than on DL81, and the treasure is much better (speed rings, spell books). So I'd advise diving right to 98, and building up nice stacks of healing consumables and wands of annhilalation/drain life for the final fight while you're waiting for Kelek's and Tenser's. Experience will take care of itself in fighting uniques and other high value non-uniques to get at the treasures.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
            Veteran
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Derakon
            Wow, you've gotten awful luck with spellbooks. The really big ones you want are Tenser's Transformations, for Greater Recharging which is much less likely to blow up wands, and Kelek's Grimoire of Power, which has Banishment, Mass Banishment, and Mana Storm. And Word of Destruction, I think. Kelek's is huge. Unfortunately it's also pretty rare. Keep an eye out for those vaults!
            When playing a mage, I never bother carrying Tenser's around. I don't like wasting a slot for a book with only 2 spells, and not all that useful spells either. By the time Greater Recharging is of any importance I've usually ditched anything requiring recharging so I don't heal monsters that drain charges. The one exception (two) are wands of drain life and annihilation. But those I just collect and use for the end fight unless there's a target of opportunity before dropping them off at home. Charge them up with Tensers at home before the final fight and leave the book behind. Even then, I often don't end up using those wands if @ can deal damage more effectively with missiles or even melee. (Like my last mage that had Holy Might bolts, Deathwreaker and The One Ring! A battle mage that couldn't be bothered with the lowly damage of the wands.)
            “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
            ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• kandrc
              Swordsman
              • Dec 2007

You're carrying around so many spellbooks that you're burdened. I never carry more than two of each, even in ironman games. Don't melee burners and don't get breathed on. Better yet, swap to your fire immunity boots, squelch every book that you're already carrying, and drop all but 1 copy of each. Getting unburdened is worth +3 speed, so you're only taking a -3 net speed. In exchange, you can face hell wyrms and balrogs with impunity.

Comment

• Carnivean
                Knight
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by kandrc
                squelch every book that you're already carrying, and drop all but 1 copy of each.
                Inscribing books with !d!k prevents them being squelched, so you can squelch all other copies, and ensures that you are prompted before dropping them accidentally. Really makes it easy to prevent overloading on books at the deep end of the dungeon.

Comment

• bio_hazard
                  Knight
                  • Dec 2008

Finally found Mordekain's Escapes-what a quality of life improvement that is. Also a Holy Avenger BoC, and a randart armor with fire immunity and a bunch of other good resists (unfortunately no stats, but an upgrade to the dragon scale mail I was wearing). I found some elvish boots with +9 speed and +4 stealth. My base speed is now >20 so feeling pretty good in that department, but could use more con and I wouldn't mind regeneration on something.

e: I've been getting decent numbers of randarts so far- but definitely most are not worth carrying. I'll move up to 4.0.3 after this char.

Comment

• yyt16384
                    Scout
                    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by kandrc
                    Better yet, swap to your fire immunity boots, squelch every book that you're already carrying, and drop all but 1 copy of each.
                    I would carry two of them unless I happen to have acid immunity too.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                      Veteran
                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by yyt16384
                      Books are not subject to acid.

Books/Staves-->Fire; Potions-->Cold; Equipment-->Acid; Rings/Rods/Wands-->Lightning (except Rod of Recall, which is immune).
                      “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                      ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                        Prophet
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by yyt16384
                        Acid doesn't matter, books are not vulnerable to acid, only fire.

Comment

• Carnivean
                          Knight
                          • Sep 2013

I carry 2 because by the time that I'm immune to thievery, I'm strong enough not to care about weight.

Comment

• yyt16384
                            Scout
                            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
                            Acid doesn't matter, books are not vulnerable to acid, only fire.
                            Then I must have made some mistakes when reading object definitions.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                              Prophet
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
                              Books are not subject to acid.

Books/Staves-->Fire; Potions-->Cold; Equipment-->Acid; Rings/Rods/Wands-->Lightning (except Rod of Recall, which is immune).
                              missing: Scrolls -> acid and fire and staves -> acid. Also high level Rods like detection, ID, restoration, healing, speed are immune to elec, and rings with resist to elec are immune to elec.

Fire also burns leather armors, polearms and bows in inventory, but doesn't hurt them in equipment.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎