X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Egavactip
    Swordsman
    • Mar 2012

Item Request: Sturdy spellbooks

I would like to see a new type of item appear in the deep levels somewhere. These items would simply duplicate the existing spellbooks in all respects except one: they would be impervious to fire.

You could call them dragon-leather spellbooks or somesuch.

It is nothing but a pain to have to carry around multiple copies of each spellbook around with you all the time, and each time have to remember to go to the shop to replace your various burnt-up books. Surely at some point in the game, a character should be spared this tedious chore? Accumulating a set of fireproof spellbooks over time would be a nice way to handle this.
  • Derakon
    Prophet
    • Dec 2009

ToME 2 has them and literally just calls them Fireproof Spellbooks. I believe they're simply an ego modifier for normal spellbooks. I don't know if Vanilla can do ego spellbooks, but if it can't it'd still be trivial to create a new item type that's identical to the normal kind except deeper and fireproof.

Comment

• AnonymousHero
      Veteran
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Derakon
      ToME 2 has them and literally just calls them Fireproof Spellbooks. I believe they're simply an ego modifier for normal spellbooks. I don't know if Vanilla can do ego spellbooks, but if it can't it'd still be trivial to create a new item type that's identical to the normal kind except deeper and fireproof.
      Yup. Without having looked into it from a code perspective, I think it's pretty much as you say.

Personally, I like the Fireproof ego because it (a) applies to books, staves and wands (which adds interest), and (b) means that you only have to reserve only a single example of the (x-proof) spell book, and (c) they are not impurvious to theft! If you get to 18/50 DEX you're OK.

(There's also "immune to all elemental damage" in T2, but that's perhaps not entirely relevant here.)

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎