X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ingwe Ingweron
    Veteran
    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by zog
    What's so good about a Sling of Buckland versus, say, Bard or a nice Heavy Crossbow of Extra Might? The multiplier is only x3 and the shots weigh like bricks.

The only time I've ever used a sling as my main missile for a prolonged period was in a recent game when a paladin stumbled upon a Sling of Extra Shots at 500'; it was immensely helpful at that level, but having to carry a lot of shots really weighed me down (literally).
    In the hands of all but a Ranger, a high-powered Sling of Buckland (i.e., +2 might, +2 shots, with high to-hit and damage adds) together with Shots of Holy Might is one of, if not the, most powerful weapon in the game. Armed with those Morgoth goes down fast. The shots cut through him like he's tissue paper.

A Ranger would prefer Belthronding or a high-powered Lothlorien bow with Holy Might Arrows. With the Ranger's extra 2 shots he can outperform the best Buckland slings.
    “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
    ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• PowerWyrm
      Prophet
      • Apr 2008

Mithril Shots of Holy Might are as rare as the One Ring though...
      PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
        Prophet
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
        That would make One Ring really common. In my last game I was drowning on mithril shots and some of them were Holy Might. I was using HXbow of extra shots and later Lothlorien bow so no use to me.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
          Veteran
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
          While I don't find them quite that rare, I do admit they are rare. Much rarer than any other ammunition. But, people keep thinking that Buckland slings are so useless when, in fact, they are very powerful.

Now if you want to talk rare, what is much rarer than The One Ring, at least for me, is a good Maggot drop....
          “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
          ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Raccoon
            Scout
            • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
            Now if you want to talk rare, what is much rarer than The One Ring, at least for me, is a good Maggot drop....
            I've had a few 'good' Maggot drops, but only in the sense that a pair of Sandals [1, +2] is better than nothing when I am just starting the game. I've never gotten anything off of Maggot that would last me more than a few levels once I start to dive.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎