• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cfant
    Rookie
    • Sep 2014

Blindness/darkness

Hi guys!

I have two questions: If I'm immune to blindness - can darkness still influence me? (I have the star of dontremember, who gives 3 squares light and makes me immune to blindness, and I have the phiole of dontremember, giving 3 light and immune to darkness.

An other question: how can I throw oil against an enemy? Don't find the key?

thanks a lot,

a little level 34-paladin

By the way: Maybe I should leave now...

• wobbly
    Prophet
    • May 2012

Throw is 'v' as in 'vrowing' or 'to vrow'. The rest I can never remember properly. I'll let someone else answer.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
      Prophet
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Cfant
      Hi guys!
      I have two questions: If I'm immune to blindness - can darkness still influence me?
      Darkness storms and breaths still hurt, but you wont get blinded by it. Same for light and melee that blind. You get hurt, but not blinded.

In general all protections work like that. You get total immunity to the effect in question, but not damage from different attacks. pStun prevents stunning from for example plasma, but you still get full damage from the spell/breath.

Comment

• Cfant
        Rookie
        • Sep 2014

Thanks to both of you!

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
          Prophet
          • Apr 2007

Thanks to both of you!
          Noticed that you mentioned "immunity to darkness". In vanilla angband there is no immunity to darkness. Only resistance.

There are proper immunities for basic four elements. Everything else you get only resistances (or not even that: plasma, time, gravity, inertia etc.etc.). These immunities not only make you immune to the effects, but also all of your gear, so if you get immunity to acid, your gear don't get damaged by acid any more.

Resistance to element protects you from all side-effects from that element (sound prevents stunning from sound, nexus teleports and stat scrambling from nexus, and so on), but not from other elements/sources that give same effect.

Comment

• Cfant
            Rookie
            • Sep 2014

Thanks, I was not sure. Galadriels stuff said "no darkness can endure", so I did not know what it really meant

Comment

• Derakon
              Prophet
              • Dec 2009

Thanks, I was not sure. Galadriels stuff said "no darkness can endure", so I did not know what it really meant
              That's just flavor text, referring to how even Shelob found the light from the Phial to be frightening.

Also, the mnemonic for the 'v' key for throw is "volley".

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎