Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wobbly
    Prophet
    • May 2012

Yeah I get what you mean. Stuff like throwing gems at unicorns, pets not picking up cursed items etc... I loved all these little tricks and quirks of nethack, though ultimately it was easier to just bless scrolls and mass-id stuff. I think nethack was better played without spoilers. It was almost a puzzle game. If you know all the tricks it's a fair bit easier than Angband.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
      Prophet
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by wobbly
      Yeah I get what you mean. Stuff like throwing gems at unicorns, pets not picking up cursed items etc... I loved all these little tricks and quirks of nethack, though ultimately it was easier to just bless scrolls and mass-id stuff. I think nethack was better played without spoilers. It was almost a puzzle game. If you know all the tricks it's a fair bit easier than Angband.
      Easier if you survive early game. Early game is way easier in angband IMO. Too many unavoidable ways to get yourself killed in nethack.

Comment

• wobbly
        Prophet
        • May 2012

The kobold steps on the polymorph trap. The black dragon breathes. You are disintegrated! If they removed that one, the early game would be completely fine.

Comment

• Derakon
          Prophet
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by wobbly
          The kobold steps on the polymorph trap. The black dragon breathes. You are disintegrated! If they removed that one, the early game would be completely fine.
          You forgot the classic "gnome with a wand of death" one.

Anyway, NetHack's identification systems are pretty unique, no doubt, but they're also pretty horrible to play in practice, except as a way to demonstrate your system mastery.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎