X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Runaway1956
    Apprentice
    • Feb 2015

Source of mithril ammo

There is no source of mithril (or better) ammunition, is there? They are just random finds, throughout the dungeon, I suppose.

Having found Tenser's, I can reliably brand and enchant the ammo from the general store. Occassionally, the black market has a few branded and/or enchanted bolts/arrows/shot, but those aren't always any better than I can make.

I am beginning to think that all mithril ammo should be saved in my house, enchanted as high as I can reasonably make them, and saved for the end game.

I have 5 seeker bolts of wounding (4d5) (+20,+17) - I think there were 25 of them when I picked them up. Like many other high value ammos, I'll probably drop them because they take up a slot in the quiver.

Maybe there are certain levels where mithril ammo is more common? If so, I could haunt those levels from time to time, to stock up.

Those (4d5) seeker bolts suggest that there is something better than mithril - maybe there are levels that I should haunt to find those?

This game of inventory management has just gotten much more interesting!
    It's a 1982 Honda GL 500 Silver Wing Interstate, my daily commuter. http://linuxcounter.net/cert/522398.png
  • Runaway1956
    Apprentice
    • Feb 2015

What depraved individual threw that cat into the game? I've been killing saber toothed tigers and the like - I walk into a room full of cats, and my hit points go from 620 to 21 just like that!

Cat Lord?

Holeeeee CRAP!

I bet I take more time LOOKING after I hit M-A-B in the future.

Luckily I have that other key combo, M-B-F!

Cat Lord. He's more lethal than all the dogs I've run into. Hmm - maybe I need to watch out for dogs too . . . .
    It's a 1982 Honda GL 500 Silver Wing Interstate, my daily commuter. http://linuxcounter.net/cert/522398.png

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
      Prophet
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Runaway1956
      Cat Lord. He's more lethal than all the dogs I've run into. Hmm - maybe I need to watch out for dogs too . . . .
      Maybe

(just to alert you from things to come, Cat Lord is a wimp compared to really dangerous creatures deep into dungeon.)

Comment

• Therem Harth
        Knight
        • Jan 2008

The Large Fluffy Cat (Light Gray 'f')
        He wants tuna, and he wants it right now! This natural demon is normally found at depths of 4000 feet (level 80), and moves very quickly. It resists bright light and rock remover. It is ever vigilant for intruders, which it may notice from 400 feet. It can mew to reduce intelligence, mew to reduce intelligence, mew to reduce wisdom, and bite to poison with damage 1d4. You feel an intense desire to cuddle this monster...

Comment

• Runaway1956
          Apprentice
          • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
          Maybe

(just to alert you from things to come, Cat Lord is a wimp compared to really dangerous creatures deep into dungeon.)

Yeah - Ar Pharazon WAS one of those who was more dangerous. I've run away from him repeatedly, on several different levels. Today - I've defeated him. He dropped Angrist and a broad axe of extra attacks.

Broad axe does 185 average damage per round.
          Angrist does 191 against most, 218 vs evil, 244 vs orcs, trolls, and creatures not resistant to acid. This is the best weapon I've found yet! Now, I gotta compare the resistances and bonuses . . . .

It's hard to beat Gondricam. Think I'll just carry Angrist as a backup/alternate weapon.

Comment

• Runaway1956
            Apprentice
            • Feb 2015

And, now I feel like crying. I've been dodging Sarunam of Many Colors for a little while now. Between bolts of venom and Angrist, I wore him down to nothing. Watching my hit points, and his hit points, I took one last stab at him - and he died. He drops stuff all over the place. Sometime during the fight, he cast create traps - and I stumbled over one. Fell into the next level before I could even see what he dropped! ARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Time to do word of recall, and just shut the game down for awhile . . . .

Comment

• Tibarius
              Swordsman
              • Jun 2011

re: traps

If it makes you feel better, i encountered the same already (even tho i think it was harowen the Hand creating traps for me).
              Blondes are more fun!

Comment

• Runaway1956
                Apprentice
                • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Tibarius
                If it makes you feel better, i encountered the same already (even tho i think it was harowen the Hand creating traps for me).
                I've seen him twice now - and avoided him. As you can see, I'm avoiding things less and less. Of course, having this site to come to, and learn about the "monster's" capabilities makes things so much simpler. If I had to figure out what each monster and each unique was capable of, I'd still be on level 20!

Comment

• academic.sam
                  Scout
                  • Mar 2013

Same thing happened last night to me as well. Master thief made traps and there was a GV on level ("there are superb treasures here").

Oh well, RNG giveth and RNG taketh away

Comment

• Derakon
                    Prophet
                    • Dec 2009

Harowen has no ranged attacks, and his melee can't do much if you have a DEX of 18/150 or better. You can kill him pretty easily with your own ranged attacks so long as you only use Phase Door to move (which can't land you on a trapped square). Just remember to re-detect traps after he's dead!

Comment

• mushroom patch
                      Swordsman
                      • Oct 2014

Hm, that sucks. That's one of the few situations where a bunch of stuff on the floor in angband is very likely to be worthwhile.

Comment

• Runaway1956
                        Apprentice
                        • Feb 2015

Ahhhh - phase door for traps. I would never have thought of that!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎