X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angrist
    Adept
    • Jul 2014

Best way to deal damage

What damage can be applied character in Angband? The best way to deal damage? Archery? Melee? The best melee weapon is Grond or some randart?
    I also would like to see characters with BIG number of Blows/Round.
  • Angrist
    Adept
    • Jul 2014

So far, the biggest I've ever seen - 8 blows / round.

Comment

• Derakon
      Prophet
      • Dec 2009

The theoretical highest per-action damage would likely be a warrior with a really beastly weapon and lots of blows. Grond is good, especially if you can get randarts that give you off-weapon extra blows. But those are really rare these days.

Archery can reach insane damage-over-time with lots of extra shots and powerful slaying or elemental ammo. A ranger with an x5 bow with +25 damage and ammo with a x3 slay and another +25 damage could be doing 400 damage per shot and shooting 3 times per turn -- more if the bow (or an off-bow randart, but the bow is vastly more likely) also gives +shots.

These are both, of course, incredibly gear-dependent.

Comment

• Angrist
        Adept
        • Jul 2014

Once my mage found this ultimate x6 bow

b) the Long Bow of Fuianc (x6) (+12,+11) <+3, +1>
        Found lying on the floor in a vault at 2600 feet (level 52).

+3 intelligence, constitution, charisma, stealth, speed, shooting
        power.

Comment

• Tibarius
          Swordsman
          • Jun 2011

melee ranger

I started out as melee-ranger with 2.0 blows per turn. Soon i found a nice dagger and quickly a potion of brawn to push str over 18 giving me another blow per turn. Unfortunately it drained my int to 10. Then luckily this shortsword with extra attacks came along and while spellcasting was bad at that time already, it got unbearable with 50% fail after i decided i try out this cursed headgear while i have this large number of blows per turn. I feel this char delivers a huge amount of damage, while it is almost blind. Luckily i found the rods of detection soon after dropping the spellbooks into my home.

Blondes are more fun!

Comment

• Derakon
            Prophet
            • Dec 2009

Enchant Armor scrolls will eventually break the curse on Gorlim, even if they don't actually succeed in enchanting it.

300 damage/round is fantastic for where you are; you should easily be able to dive from here. I assume you've been scumming for stat potions? They got moved deeper into the dungeon a few versions back, so there's no real point in hanging out at 1650' any more.

Comment

• Angrist
              Adept
              • Jul 2014

In general, the maximum number of EXTRA attacks may have a weapon of Extra attacks? I saw 3 Extra attacks, no more.

Comment

• quarague
                Swordsman
                • Jun 2012

I've never seen more than 2 extra attacks on a weapon, maybe 3 is possible, if you play with standarts that's all you can get. However, with randarts it is possible to get extra attacks in pretty much any slot, although it is quite rare. That means in theory you can get a dozen or more attacks per turn if you have several randarts that give extra attacks. In practice I think the expected number of randarts in any given game that give extra attacks is less than one, so the chance of finding several in a single game is very slim.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                  Veteran
                  • Jan 2009

The best way to deal damage is with fists, of course! http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=17057
                  “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                  ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Angrist
                    Adept
                    • Jul 2014

363 damage / round? But it's not too much.

Comment

• Angrist
                      Adept
                      • Jul 2014

Why do not you wear a crown? To get 18 / *** DEX and 6.0 Blows / Round.

Comment

• AnonymousHero
                        Veteran
                        • Jun 2007

Not sure if it's (theoretically) capped, but I think the theoretical maximum may be from a Ranger with lots of extra shots (+ multiplier) on the bow, and extra shots off-weapon. That said, I've rolled up a game where a Priest character of mine had (theoretically) at least +4 melee attacks (two rings, potentially -- found only one). I think that character even had +1 or +2 in a different slot which couldn't be used because he'd have no resistances if the did.

The thing is... you don't actually need ridiculous damage to win. So there's that

Comment

• Tibarius
                          Swordsman
                          • Jun 2011

ridiculous damage

Yeah, but it makes you feel great
                          Blondes are more fun!

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                            Prophet
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Angrist
                            What damage can be applied character in Angband? The best way to deal damage? Archery? Melee? The best melee weapon is Grond or some randart?
                            I also would like to see characters with BIG number of Blows/Round.
                            Insane randart probably, but "ordinary" +2 extra blows MoD in hands of warrior gives you 8 blows and slay undead. At least warrior used to be able to get 6 blows with MoD after fractional blows were introduced.

Randart MoD with +2 blows in hands of warrior with some off-weapon extra blows and to-dam bonuses can make well over 1000 points of damage /turn average, and 1500-something against whatever it slays.

Ranger with excellent randart bow and proper slay arrows can also reach that kind of damage numbers / turn.

Something like Ranger with Bard with +15 seeker arrows of slay dragon:
                            (19+15+10) * (5+3) * 3 = 1056.

Randarts can get quite a lot better than that (but usually don't).

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎