Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angrist
    Adept
    • Jul 2014

Oh no. My Paladin is now dead. YASD, yes.

Comment

• mushroom patch
      Swordsman
      • Oct 2014

Maybe HT paladin would be fast. Healing, good detection, solid early game melee. I don't see HT warrior being fast. Too gear dependent, bad detection options for the midgame. If you want to win fast, both in real time and turn count terms, the key is stealth. The way to get through the middle 50 levels of the dungeon quickly is by spamming detection and sneaking through them. In my experience this is where most of the real time of a winning game is spent.

I always come back to the same formula: High-elf rogue is the single fastest race/class combination. Useful racial intrinsics, most accessible detection magic in the game, solid early game melee, excellent stealth. Once you get some speed, you can quickly level on weaker U packs at depths around 4000 then scum 98 until you're ready to king.

Comment

• Angrist
        Adept
        • Jul 2014

But it seems to me that the High-elves is too strong (bonuses are creazy), because I do not play them.

Comment

• mushroom patch
          Swordsman
          • Oct 2014

Yeah, I agree, high-elf is easy mode, but the question is how to win quickly. On the other hand, if you're worried your bonuses are too good, the strength, constitution, and hitdice of HT are the best in the game (iirc). While I agree that high-elf is substantially better than HT, I wonder what makes you think HT paladin, another very strong combination, is legit while high-elf rogue is too easy.

Comment

• Derakon
            Prophet
            • Dec 2009

My main thinking with the HT Paladin:

* Consumables are going to be at something of a premium, due to lack of time spent scumming. Being able to cast Healing (even at 5% fail) will go a long ways to helping mitigate that, and means Morgoth can be meleed with substantially worse gear.
            * The early and mid game goes a lot faster for a half-troll than a high-elf simply due to better combat stats and regeneration.

High-elf rogue is also a strong combination though; access to detailed Detect Items will greatly speed up scumming efforts. Ultimately I'm not too concerned about the lack of general-purpose detection that the HT Paladin has to cope with, largely because any speedrun of the game is going to be heavily reliant on luck anyway.

Comment

• Angrist
              Adept
              • Jul 2014

I have not had such luck in the beginning. The game definitely gives me a chance!

Comment

• Tibarius
                Swordsman
                • Jun 2011

4 hours ...

A couple of minor chars watch the flowers from below the earth now. Well if you try an unidentified scroll on dungeon Level 1 and summon a large Kobold and a warrior type, then you know that this char shouldn't be.

I got a Dunedan Ranger going now ...
                after the 1st hour : Level 11 (D-lvl 5)
                after the 2nd hour: Level 16 (D-lvl 20)
                after the 3rd hour: Level 20 (D-lvl 21)
                after the 4th hour: Level 24 (D-lvl 28)

The only realy good thing i bought in a shop ... Long bow of power (x3) (+11,+15). But after that i am confident that i can start diving some more now.
                Blondes are more fun!

Comment

• Monkey Face
                  Adept
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Tibarius
                  A couple of minor chars watch the flowers from below the earth now. Well if you try an unidentified scroll on dungeon Level 1 and summon a large Kobold and a warrior type, then you know that this char shouldn't be.
                  Try the unidentified scroll on the stairwell. Then you can wave goodbye to your summons as you walk down.

Comment

• Tibarius
                    Swordsman
                    • Jun 2011

so long ...

Thanks for the hint monkey face, usually i do it that way. But on the first Level (basically the first Action) i was just too lazy to care about it.

after 5 hours: Level 27 (dlvl 39)
                    after 6 hours: Level 29 (dlvl 44)
                    after 7 hours: Level 31 (dlvl 50)

There are already a couple of Monsters who could deliver me a one-hit / one-breath kill. I have a hard time finding better gear this game. And dunadans require so damn much XP ... grind grind grind
                    Blondes are more fun!

Comment

• Angrist
                      Adept
                      • Jul 2014

Half-Troll Paladin is really fast. After 12282 standart turns i have cLvl 25/dLvl 24 character. This is very good for me. It usually takes 30 000 turns.

Comment

• Angrist
                        Adept
                        • Jul 2014

Which, incidentally, is the smallest number of standart turns for which may kill Morgoth? I saw something about 90 000 turns, but not less.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                          Prophet
                          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Angrist
                          Half-Troll Paladin is really fast. After 12282 standart turns i have cLvl 25/dLvl 24 character. This is very good for me. It usually takes 30 000 turns.
                          HT starts with innate regen, which makes the game much faster...
                          PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Angrist
                            Adept
                            • Jul 2014

Wow, wow, wow. 74 000 Standart turns. Really fast. http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=15669

Comment

• AnonymousHero
                              Veteran
                              • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Angrist
                              Wow, wow, wow. 74 000 Standart turns. Really fast. http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=15669
                              Just from looking at the artifacts; you get did a bit lucky, I think, but well done nonetheless!

(I just observed that you covered most of the essential resists. It can be a bit dangeous to go without rChaos, but unless the big P summons exactly the wrong kind of dragon, it's not going to matter in the big fight.)

Comment

• quarague
                                Swordsman
                                • Jun 2012

HT paladins are very fast, I think if you want to go for a speed run they are a good choice with regen to speed up the early game and infinite heal+tons of hitpoints to make the late game save and more forgiving. If I recall correctly this char went to the last fight with a seriously low amount of prep. I fought him in melee, and ignored most of the summons, thinking most are not dangerous and as long as not too many of the dangerous ones are in line of sight they can't kill me either. And I still run out of banish after around 3/4 of the fight. It worked out in the end, the loads of hitpoints and infinite heal helps a lot. Although there definitely were situations where if a 5% fail rate heal fails twice in a row I'm dead.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎