I'm such an experienced Angbander...(YASD)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bogatyr
    Knight
    • Feb 2014

I'm such an experienced Angbander...(YASD)

... that I cracked open a vault with the Star in it, even though there was a Greater Chaos Wyrm in there, and I had all of 240HP and no chaos resistance. The wyrm was asleep, after all, and I had Heroic stealth. Hmm, some giants and traps in the way, I'll just clear the traps and

The Greater Chaos Wyrm breathes Chaos, YOU DIE (wasn't even close, about -250 HP after breath)

WTF?....Uh....man.

What was I thinking? I had a nice stack of magic mapping scrolls, and it's not that much of a pain refilling the lantern of True Sight which was probably better than the Star anyway, since the lantern gives rBlind.

That was my first serious ranger, I kind of like the class, like a buff mage who flunked out of Mage school because he spent too much time at the shooting range, so he knows all the spells but is just bad at casting them, but generally prefers his bow.
  • MattB
    Veteran
    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Bogatyr
    What was I thinking? I had a nice stack of magic mapping scrolls, and it's not that much of a pain refilling the lantern of True Sight which was probably better than the Star anyway, since the lantern gives rBlind.
    In theory, True Sight beats everything but the Palantir (if you can carry it) in my opinion (YMMV). But I usually swap out to artifact lights as soon as I can. Because I'm lazy.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
      Veteran
      • Jan 2009

I almost never find the Palantir, but the Arkenstone is great. Show up and immediately map the entire level with locations of treasures throughout and a detect traps/doors/stairs radius. That's hard to beat.
      “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
      ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Bogatyr
        Knight
        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
        I almost never find the Palantir, but the Arkenstone is great. Show up and immediately map the entire level with locations of treasures throughout and a detect traps/doors/stairs radius. That's hard to beat.
        Yes the Arkenstone is great, I liked it even better when it was a full enlightenment effect.

Comment

• Derakon
          Prophet
          • Dec 2009

Actually, I think the Palantir has been removed and the Arkenstone restored to its former glory. So it's no surprise that you can't find the Palantir any more.

Comment

• Raajaton
            Swordsman
            • May 2012

I believe I've had the palantir show up as randarts.

Comment

• kaypy
              Swordsman
              • May 2009

The allocation line is commented out, so yeah the odds of finding it in standarts are "pretty slim" at the moment. But since the definition is still there, the randart generation seems to reinstate it when it messes with the allocation probs.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎