X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Estie
    Veteran
    • Apr 2008

Do we have a next competition ?

Upload one savefile for each class, with default birthoptions except for randarts (I insist!) and disconnected stairs. Winner is the game winner with lowest experience score. Race should be default human I guess. Buying from black market is prohibited.

I can prepare the savefiles (all with the same randart set) if desired.

Any other suggestions ?

Comment

• PowerWyrm
      Prophet
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Derakon
      Something similar might be possible in Vanilla, though it would be trickier to set up; you'd need to really master the speed system and monster pathing rules to pull it off without targeted teleport. Of course, instead of a LOS spell, you can use ball spells, or just abuse missile pathing to hit Morgoth around corners.
      I was abusing this in older versions: scum for a level with a long corridor, wait until Morgoth digs up to one square from the corridor and pelt him with missiles. You could easily wipe half his health with good holy might arrows/bolts before he gets to you.

#########P
      @
      ##########

Unfortunately, in 3.5, the targeting line is broken and unless you know perfectly the path of your missiles, you will fire them all at empty air.
      PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Derakon
        Prophet
        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
        I was abusing this in older versions: scum for a level with a long corridor, wait until Morgoth digs up to one square from the corridor and pelt him with missiles. You could easily wipe half his health with good holy might arrows/bolts before he gets to you.

#########P
        @
        ##########

Unfortunately, in 3.5, the targeting line is broken and unless you know perfectly the path of your missiles, you will fire them all at empty air.
        Abusing this for more than one "pass" is the tricky bit though -- that's where having a targeted teleport comes in really handy.

As for doing this in 3.5, it's pretty straightforward, since when you're in targeting mode, the game shows you the path your projectiles will take. Even if it didn't, though, you just need to know when it switches rows for odd/even distances and then do some counting.

Comment

• mushroom patch
          Swordsman
          • Oct 2014

@Estie: I wouldn't plan to kill any uniques. You don't need to kill monsters (e.g. wyrms) in the vicinity of the fight zone you set up, you just have to teleport them away.

I agree that fail rates on spells and wands are a concern, but if I understand the way this hockeystick stuff works, you can always just teleport him the turn before he has line of sight, which gives you two chances. A 1 in 400 chance of Morgoth taking a turn with LoS doesn't seem that bad, since the worst things (summon and mana storm) are like 1 in 5 or so. If it takes 20-30 teleports to whittle him down, it seems to me this doesn't take that much luck.

I would play a rogue or ranger, probably rogue, to attempt this. Mage is completely out of the question.

The crazy LoS stuff in the video seems to suggest that you don't need a very special set up to make this work and to a certain extent Morgoth makes the kind of corridors you want himself. The point is you just want a long diagonal-ish line of sight, with a two square obstruction toward the end of it to hook your arrows around. I should ask: Is this weird LoS stuff the guy in the video does just a 3.5 thing?

Comment

• Derakon
            Prophet
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by mushroom patch
            I should ask: Is this weird LoS stuff the guy in the video does just a 3.5 thing?
            Angband's LOS rules have been weird for decades, and while some variants have changed them, Vanilla certainly hasn't.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎