X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bio_hazard
    Knight
    • Dec 2008

Feature Suggestion- option to autoinscribe level feeling on un-IDed items

As the title says, it would be nice to have an interface option where the level feeling (if level feelings on) are applied to unknown items found on that level. This would help keep track of where you picked up items, and help more strategically sell/ID items so as to be less likely to sell-ID the !experience you find with a superb feeling at 250'

So your inventory might look like
    a bubbling potion {tried, cobwebs level}
    3 gloopy green potions {nothing interesting level}
    1 shimmering potion {excellent level}

or something like that.

It could remember the feeling on the level where the item was first seen/picked up, in the event you find items on several levels before IDing. I suppose it would not apply these inscriptions until the level feeling is actually known, and that if you leave a level it would apply {unknown level feeling} once you take the stairs, or else apply this on pick-up but replace it when the feeling comes in.
    Last edited by bio_hazard; August 10, 2014, 22:19. Reason: spelling
  • Zireael
    Adept
    • Jul 2011

I like the idea.

Comment

• Magnate
      Angband Devteam member
      • May 2007

Me toooooooo
      "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Derakon
        Prophet
        • Dec 2009

Well, y'all should know how I feel about level feelings and thus how I feel about this suggestion.

Comment

• jevansau
          Adept
          • Jan 2009

Great idea - nothing you couldn't do yourself if it wasn't so tedious, but useful.

Comment

• bio_hazard
            Knight
            • Dec 2008

Yeah- certainly not a soul-crushing amount of work to do this with manual insriptions (as I have in some recent games), but in the cases where you get a nice level feeling very early in the game I think it would be pretty helpful.

I know some people are ambivalent about level feelings, and this would not affect their games at all. I would be sad if level feelings went away entirely. I understand that they are not necessary and maybe even antithetical to optimal play, but for me they add a lot of interest and flavor. FYI I'm mostly playing with disconnected stairs and almost entirely take downstairs (except for the first trip or two when I walk in and out of the dungeon), so I find them fun even without stairscumming.

Comment

• Zikke
              Veteran
              • Jun 2008

It seems to me that by the time you find anything amazing, you'll already have a reliable source of ID.
              A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
              A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
              C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:

Comment

• AnonymousHero
                Veteran
                • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Zikke
                It seems to me that by the time you find anything amazing, you'll already have a reliable source of ID.
                It happens quite a lot more that items (and monsters) are generated out of depth in 3.5... but even so I'd say: Just try using the thing you've found!

There are only a few consumables that are actively dangerous these days, so if you stand on some stairs while trying scrolls/potions and there are no monsters around you should be fine. Sure you may theoretically waste a ?Acquirement, but then again you might get a !Experience on level 2, so it all evens out. If there's any consumable you have found more than one of, just "sell" one of them to have the rest identified.

If it's not a consumable, just wield it for a while.

Comment

• fph
                  Veteran
                  • Apr 2009

In my view, inscriptions are already abused for squelching commands and pseudo-ID. This is potentially useful information, so it would be a good idea to include it, but IMHO it should go in the 'I'nspect screen.
                  --
                  Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎