X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • petefj
    Rookie
    • Apr 2014

Newbie problems

My Dwarf Warrior has got to level 8 which is the best I've ever done! I returned to town because my inventory was full only to find that my Home Inventory is also full, so what do I do now? I can't seem to move goods around anyway.

And also, isn't it possible to sell to the Towns dealers? And if so, how?

Peter
  • Timo Pietilä
    Prophet
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by petefj
    And also, isn't it possible to sell to the Towns dealers? And if so, how?
    Selling happens just like dropping item in your home. Just follow the prompts.

If you have no-selling active you get zero gold from sold stuff. Then it basically is just ID method.

If you have your home and your inventory full, I'm guessing you have a lot of unnecessary stuff. Paste your chardump here and we look what you have.

(just open it in some text editor without formatting like notepad, select all, copy the contents onto clipboard and then paste here. Use tags [code] and [/code] to get it retain the right look.

Comment

• Mondkalb
      Knight
      • Apr 2007

To make a char dump, press C to bring up the character screen and then press f to save it to a file. The file will be saved in your Angband directory in /lib/user
      My Angband winners so far

My FAangband efforts so far

Comment

• Derakon
        Prophet
        • Dec 2009

Assuming you're playing 3.5 and didn't change the birth options, you have the "items sell for 0 gold" option turned on. This means that items that you won't use yourself are literally valueless, so there's no point in returning them to town. However, in exchange you get significantly more gold from the dungeon; it should all balance out pretty well.

You can still "sell" items to the stores to get them identified for free. However, if you discover you sold something you actually want, then you'll have to buy it back at full price.

Agreed with the suggestion that you make a character dump. You can post that dump on the ladder and then share the link to your dump with us.

Comment

• petefj
          Rookie
          • Apr 2014

Newbie problems

I'm not too sure if I've done this correctly, but my character "Valadh" a dward warrior is on the ladder at 11614. or on the Angband ladder at 3383

Peter

Comment

• Mondkalb
            Knight
            • Apr 2007

I add the link for others who want to take a look:

If you have more than one of any potion or scroll, "sell" one to the shops, even if you don't get gold for it (because of the no selling option). They will get identified and you can decide whether to keep them, carry them with you or get rid of them.
            You can also read scrolls in the dungeon to find out what they do (this can be a bit dangerous though, there are summoning scrolls so better read when standing on stairs; also there are deep descend scrolls which might put you in an uncomfortable situation).
            You can also find out about wands by trying them out, the same with potions, but sometimes you get only "(tried)" if you are unable to see what it does.

Get rid of armor without bonus and the weapons. Wear the Main Gauche, it deals more damage than your current weapon.
            Wear the shield you have in your home - "magical" means that it has a small bonus. You will learn more about it while wearing it when you are in a fight.
            No need to store wine. You can always buy food from the general store.

Any magical books are of no use to you because your character is a warrior and therefore unable to use magic books.
            My Angband winners so far

My FAangband efforts so far

Comment

• jasric
              Rookie
              • Mar 2014

Awesome post. Looking at the character dump made me feel all nostalgic.

I introduced a friend about a month ago back to Angband 3.5, and he was also quite confused regarding the no-sell default setting. Although I completely understand why it's actually better from an efficiency standpoint, it's very unintuitive for the beginner.

Maybe always showing the birth options screen on character creation could be a default, with an option to hide it away for subsequent characters. Either that or make it a little more obvious that the defaults may not be what you expect.

Comment

• MattB
                Veteran
                • Mar 2013

Out of date advice, I'm sure, but have you noticed the handy average damage calculation available when you use the 'I' command on a weapon?

Why wield a magic cutlass when either of the two average daggers in your home do more damage?

(The lighter the weapon, the more blows you get - even if it does less per blow it is often worth it).

Hope that helps.

Comment

• Patashu
                  Knight
                  • Jan 2008

How about a humorous but informative measure the first time you try to sell something in a shop?

'<the shopkeeper> says, "Sorry, but due to recent federal regulation changes, we can't pay for goods from adventurers anymore." Maybe you should have adventured in a different dungeon!'
                  My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu

Comment

• Netcracker
                    Rookie
                    • May 2014

Originally posted by jasric
                    I introduced a friend about a month ago back to Angband 3.5, and he was also quite confused regarding the no-sell default setting. Although I completely understand why it's actually better from an efficiency standpoint, it's very unintuitive for the beginner.
                    Right. I stumbled upon this one too. I have played Angband almost two years ago and I remembered to be able to sell everything. Always made me laugh when I sold unidentified stuff to the shop keeper and he cursed because the scroll or whatever was completely useless.

I agree with jasric, it is very unintuitive. And in my opinion it takes longer for me to earn money in the first experience levels. But I'll get used to it.
                    This seems a quiet, peaceful place.

Comment

• Zane314
                      Rookie
                      • Feb 2009

To move things around when both your home and inventory are full, you'll have to drop 'd' an item onto the ground first so that you can get 'g' items from your home. Items on the floor of the town will stick around until you go back into the dungeon, so even if you wanted to keep them they're pretty safe.

Get the main gauche from your home and wield it, and drop the cutlass, the maul, all the daggers, and the pike on the ground. If you wield the shield and robe and get hit by something it'll tell you the bonuses, although the armor is unlikely to be better than what you've got on.

Also drop the cap and gloves in the house and the boots in your inventory. As well as the wine and the books.

If you go into shops 4/5/6 you should be able to drop 1 each of the scrolls and potions that you don't know what they do for free (and safe) identify.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎