• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Siemelink
    Rookie
    • Feb 2014

YAWP 4.0: melee priest

Hey everyone,

after some years I've played and completed a game again, it was Angband 4.0. I loved the runes, identifying was not the drag it used to be.

My tactics were simple:
    - stairscum until 2000 ft
    - statgain by black market
    - find Rings of Escaping
    - wait until I gained ESP
    - dive to 4800
    - kill all uniques
    - clear dragon / demon / angel pits (anti summon corridor)

scary moments were:
    - Fighting a challenging unique without having a method to constantly check my HP
    - Dropping my Ethereal Openings without realizing it and retrieving it on the same level

my key find was not an artifact but a lucky splendid weapon. Only at the very end did I find an randart weapon that matched this damage.
    a) a Brutal Morning Star of Disruption (4d16) (+205,+284) <+273..>
    Dropped by a Great Wyrm of Thunder at 4550 feet (level 91).

Average damage/round: 427.3 vs. normal creatures, 1282.1 vs.
    undead, 427.3 vs. creatures not resistant to electricity, 427.3
    vs. creatures not resistant to poison.

Morgoth was of course the longest fight in the game. I used 10 potions of Life and 5 scrolls of Mass Banishment, without those it would have been a lot scarier.

Cheers, Willem.
  • Zireael
    Adept
    • Jul 2011

Which 4.0 version were you playing? I'm just downloading the latest one from the buildbot as I type this...

Comment

• Bogatyr
      Knight
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Siemelink
      Hey everyone,

after some years I've played and completed a game again, it was Angband 4.0. I loved the runes, identifying was not the drag it used to be.

My tactics were simple:
      - stairscum until 2000 ft
      - statgain by black market
      - find Rings of Escaping
      - wait until I gained ESP
      - dive to 4800
      - kill all uniques
      - clear dragon / demon / angel pits (anti summon corridor)

scary moments were:
      - Fighting a challenging unique without having a method to constantly check my HP
      - Dropping my Ethereal Openings without realizing it and retrieving it on the same level

my key find was not an artifact but a lucky splendid weapon. Only at the very end did I find an randart weapon that matched this damage.
      a) a Brutal Morning Star of Disruption (4d16) (+205,+284) <+273..>
      Dropped by a Great Wyrm of Thunder at 4550 feet (level 91).

Average damage/round: 427.3 vs. normal creatures, 1282.1 vs.
      undead, 427.3 vs. creatures not resistant to electricity, 427.3
      vs. creatures not resistant to poison.

Morgoth was of course the longest fight in the game. I used 10 potions of Life and 5 scrolls of Mass Banishment, without those it would have been a lot scarier.

Cheers, Willem.
      How can you not know your own hitpoints?
      +205, +284?!?!? Egads what has happened with V4?
      edit: OK actually read some V4 docs, I see it's a new system. But not knowing your own hitpoints? Ewwww

Comment

• Derakon
        Prophet
        • Dec 2009

Yeah, I'm not sure what he meant by not having a way to check his hitpoints. Nice morningstar though. And congrats on the victory!

Comment

• Siemelink
          Rookie
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Derakon
          Yeah, I'm not sure what he meant by not having a way to check his hitpoints. Nice morningstar though. And congrats on the victory!
          The game provides the stats correctly. I had not adapted to check them often enough in serious fights.
          In the past, I relied on my @ changing colour when I go below the 60% hitpoint warning. That last bit is an option of older versions that does not exist anymore.

So for serious fights, at every keystroke, i have to look at my HPs. That is a lot of eye movement. Is there a more direct way to keep track of the map and HP at the same time?

Willem.

Comment

• Derakon
            Prophet
            • Dec 2009

The option for the @ to change color with HP should still be in the game. I'm using it with my current game, certainly. You can also set a low-HP warning at any health percentage you want (as long as it's a multiple of 10 anyway). Mine's set for 50%.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
              Prophet
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Bogatyr
              +205, +284?!?!? Egads what has happened with V4?
              V4 is a variant that developers use as their playground for wild ideas. Don't expect that to be anything close to what actual vanilla 4 will be.

Comment

• Derakon
                Prophet
                • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
                V4 is a variant that developers use as their playground for wild ideas. Don't expect that to be anything close to what actual vanilla 4 will be.
                More importantly, those numbers mean nothing like what they mean in Vanilla or any other variant; each individual +1 is +1% to the weapon's finesse or prowess, which translates to less than 1% of an extra blow or extra x1 multiplier of the dice damage.

But yeah, the numbers in v4 get way too big. We should have divided everything by 10 in the equipment and then multiplied by 10 in the formulae.

Comment

• Zireael
                  Adept
                  • Jul 2011

But yeah, the numbers in v4 get way too big. We should have divided everything by 10 in the equipment and then multiplied by 10 in the formulae.
                  Good point.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍