Elemental brand spell in 4.5.0 -- why won't it work?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gglibertine
    Adept
    • Dec 2007

Elemental brand spell in 4.5.0 -- why won't it work?

My 50th level Paladin can't get the elemental brand spell to work under any circumstances. I vaguely remember there having been a trick to it years ago, but I've tried everything I can think of, including unwielding all other weapons. It says my fail is 50%, but I've tried it literally hundreds of times with no success.

Am I being an idiot (the most likely answer), or is something broken here?
  • Derakon
    Prophet
    • Dec 2009

The 50% failure rate is to successfully cast the spell, not to successfully apply a brand. For that to work, you have to cast the spell on a weapon that is at best {magical} (i.e. not an ego-item or artifact). It's basically useless except for ammo or for making money even more pointless.

Comment

• gglibertine
      Adept
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Derakon
      The 50% failure rate is to successfully cast the spell, not to successfully apply a brand. For that to work, you have to cast the spell on a weapon that is at best {magical} (i.e. not an ego-item or artifact). It's basically useless except for ammo or for making money even more pointless.
      I can't even get it to work on ammo, not even unenchanted, non-ego arrows.

Comment

• Estie
        Veteran
        • Apr 2008

It is a useful spell; very deep the most common {excellent} ammo is wounding or holy might, brand is rare but often preferred.

The few times I used it I got mostly venom brand. What brands exactly are possible to get, and what are the chances for each ?

Edit: I used it with a ranger, not a paladin.

Comment

• Derakon
          Prophet
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by gglibertine
          I can't even get it to work on ammo, not even unenchanted, non-ego arrows.
          Hm, try a single arrow? I wouldn't be surprised if the difficulty scales with the size of the stack you're trying to enchant. If it doesn't work on a (+0,+0) Dagger or a (+0,+0) Arrow then there's probably a bug.

Comment

• gglibertine
            Adept
            • Dec 2007

Hm, try a single arrow? I wouldn't be surprised if the difficulty scales with the size of the stack you're trying to enchant. If it doesn't work on a (+0,+0) Dagger or a (+0,+0) Arrow then there's probably a bug.
            Just tried about 100 times to brand a single (+0,+0) arrow -- no dice. I *was* able to brand a (+0,+0) whip on the 2nd try, so it appears to be specific to ammunition. Either I'm spectacularly unlucky, or there's a bug. Anyone else care to give it a try and help confirm?

Comment

• fizzix
              Prophet
              • Aug 2009

I thought the holy spells were only usable for weapons and the arcane spell (brand ammo) can only do ammo. The priest spell used to be completely useless, but you can find a fair number of unbranded big dice weapons deep that could be branded successfully.

Comment

• Estie
                Veteran
                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by fizzix
                I thought the holy spells were only usable for weapons and the arcane spell (brand ammo) can only do ammo. The priest spell used to be completely useless, but you can find a fair number of unbranded big dice weapons deep that could be branded successfully.
                Right thats it - I remember now why I never used it with a pala or priest. Checking, it actually states exactly what it does in the spell description.

b (browse) - <inventory letter of your holy infusions copy> - e (elemental brand) - ? (to toggle description).

The holy version is 50% fire and 50% cold, might be a different story if you could get acid and lightning as well. It would also useful early in the game; a lucky find of P8 book. But character level 45 requirement makes it pretty much useless.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                  Prophet
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by gglibertine
                  My 50th level Paladin can't get the elemental brand spell to work under any circumstances. I vaguely remember there having been a trick to it years ago, but I've tried everything I can think of, including unwielding all other weapons. It says my fail is 50%, but I've tried it literally hundreds of times with no success.

Am I being an idiot (the most likely answer), or is something broken here?
                  Paladin elemental brand tries to add brand to your currently wielded melee weapon. It's not the same as mage spell where you can choose which weapon it affects. Branding fails if the weapon is already ego.

Comment

• gglibertine
                    Adept
                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
                    Paladin elemental brand tries to add brand to your currently wielded melee weapon. It's not the same as mage spell where you can choose which weapon it affects. Branding fails if the weapon is already ego.
                    Well, that explains it. Thanks for clearing that up!

Comment

• Derakon
                      Prophet
                      • Dec 2009

That really ought to be changed. It would make sense if the spell applied a temporary brand (so that you would want to use it while in combat), but as is there's no reason it can't prompt you for which weapon to brand.

Comment

• Estie
                        Veteran
                        • Apr 2008

My guess is that thats a relic from the times when people werent in the habit of making enchant macros. Using the wield slot makes typing out the command shorter, which is relevant when you need a gazillion attempts.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                          Prophet
                          • Apr 2007

That really ought to be changed. It would make sense if the spell applied a temporary brand
                          IMO temporary brand is better solution just because it could then affect ego-weapons as well (as long as you keep it to just fire or cold... or maybe slay evil?). Highish failure with medium manacost so that you don't run around with that always on.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎