• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark
    Adept
    • Oct 2007

Thoughts on v3.5

Hi guys,

I've really been enjoying playing v3.5. (I was playing 3.4 a fair amount recently so have been able to appreciate the differences)

I love that Charisma is gone. I presume combining Wis and Int would be a terrible idea because it would be an overpowered stat if it contributed to both Saving Throw and Magic Device?

Funny story - I was obviously stupid when I set the birth options - I'd read that no selling was turned on by default, so I went to change it (if I find a Raal's as a priest, at least I can think of the $$$ I'll get), and somehow I managed to turn on 'no artifacts' - but didn't realize until I was clvl 37!

The new sound effects - I found half a dozen of these too sharp and repetitive, especially ones that came everytime I cast a spell - I ended up deleting those specific sound files. "amb_door_doom", "amb_door_iron", "amb_thunder_roll" I felt were the worse offenders.

I'd nice to see the damage you do the the monsters, can we also show the damage you are receiving. (Maybe as a % of your total or remaining HP? Maybe coloured yellow/red based on settable thresholds)

I did find the new rooms and monster groups fun; a step to curing the somewhat boring first 20 levels. (who knows if I hadn't had 'no artifacts' turned on perhaps it would have been much for fun!)

Many more egos in shops - which I like. The order of finding ego weapons makes more egos worthwhile for a period, which was also good. Having said that, does the rarity of egos in the stores consider the power of the ego - in my game shields of resistance came up a lot in the Armour Store - and too often and cheap for something that offers 4 resistances, I felt.

I really liked the reduced spawn rate for monsters once a level is created, I feel I'm no longer punished for resting lots, which I tend to do out of caution, or failed attempts at casting Perception, etc.

Thanks for the update guys, it's terrific!
  • Mondkalb
    Knight
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Mark
    The new sound effects - I found half a dozen of these too sharp and repetitive, especially ones that came everytime I cast a spell - I ended up deleting those specific sound files. "amb_door_doom", "amb_door_iron", "amb_thunder_roll" I felt were the worse offenders.
    I don't know which sound it is, but it's often played when I hit or miss monsters. Because the duration of the sound is too long it gets really annoying if you have to hear it five times in a roll. I would appreciate if it could be replaced with a more simple and short-time effect.

Otherwise I am having fun playing 3.5.
    My Angband winners so far

My FAangband efforts so far

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞