Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ingwe Ingweron
    Veteran
    • Jan 2009

As Derakon said, the Phial got moved slightly deeper than in earlier versions of Angband, but I think another reason it is often not found until after some of the other powerful lights (true seeing, star, arkenstone) is because of the change to a deep-diving play style. @ sometimes blows past the depths where the phial is more likely to show up and can get to one of the better lights before ever chancing on the phial.
    “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
    ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Bogatyr
      Knight
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
      As Derakon said, the Phial got moved slightly deeper than in earlier versions of Angband, but I think another reason it is often not found until after some of the other powerful lights (true seeing, star, arkenstone) is because of the change to a deep-diving play style. @ sometimes blows past the depths where the phial is more likely to show up and can get to one of the better lights before ever chancing on the phial.
      I'm a slow-bro un-diver (tend to visit every red "*" object on levels with "something worthwhile" or above feelings), and I only have found the Phial I think once or twice over the last few months on 3.5, and it mostly sits at home because usually by then I have a TrueSight lantern and wands of illumination (or of course the spell, or I just do with wands of light).

Comment

• half
        Knight
        • Jan 2009

I'm pretty sure it got moved from depth 1 rarity 1 to depth 5 rarity 5. Sometime around 2.8. That was a pretty big change. I'd read an Angband guide which recommended repeating 50 feet until you find it! I think this is what has made it so iconic in the game. Many people who only played one character of Angband will have found it.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎