X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • APWhite
    Adept
    • Jul 2007

Borg for 341 is ready

I have a stable and working copy of the borg for 341 up and running. All the major issues are fixed and now it is just a matter of finding the little gameplay changes and implementing them (stuff like the stack size being moved to 40 instead of 99, and k'rushing items is now a squelch).

You can find the borg at the borg's website. http://www.innovapain.com/borg/angband-341/ Please report any goofy borg behavior. A savefile demonstrating the behavior is always helpful. Send reports to andrew@innovapain.com.

Here is a list of changes made in the past couple of days.
    • Update to not destroy our torches or flasks which might leave us dark. Its ok to crush them if we have a no_fuel light source.
    • Borg is now required to drop items to the floor instead of crushing them. Because he tracks bad items dropped to the floor, he must not drop items while standing on a doorway or stair (since doing so will move the item to an adjacent grid).
    • Refueling of torches managed.
    • MAX_STACK_SIZE implemented for borg inventory.
    • I had to address a specific event which happens early in the game. The borg might have infravision,a torch, and see a monster a few grids away. That monster might be in a unlit region of the dungeon. The borg only sees the monster because of the infravision. The lower half of the LOS() routine would return a FALSE in this case because the grids 2 or 3 spaces away from the borg are not lit by the torch nor dungeon illuminated. If the game is allowing the borg to see the monster, then it must be LOS().
    • Illuminating room prior to resting acting goofy. He not reading the illuminated grids correctly.
    • Crushing items needed to be switched to d'ropping them since the game no long has a k'rush command. This poses a problem when the borg wants to crush a single item (like 1 arrow in a stack of 35). The k command will squelch the entire stack, but dropping 1 arrows litters the dungeon floor.
    • Throwing Painful Objects needed an update to their dd and ds, as well as their range of attacks.
    • The accented characters (like the e in Smeagol) were causing a crash in borg_note().
    • Flasks needed to be sold to the general store.
    • In borg_play_step(), even poor diggers needed to be able to excavate rubble.
    • The Remove Curse spells were removed from the priest books. This necessitated a movement of the spell addresses throughout the code.
    • Level Feeling Messages were changed.
    • Teleport Other is now a bolt instead of a beam.
    • The Enchant spells needed default to the equipment screen instead of the inventory.
    • The quiver slots needed support for the MAX_STACK_SIZE.
    • Changes in how the artifact lights needed some adaptation.
    • Slight change to how the borg will count up items that need to be sold.
    • The map-updating was over-writing some of the borg's assumed grid features. Problem with the f.f_idx
    • Activate_effect() needed to be told to E'at mushrooms.
    • Better recognition of a jammed door.
    • In porting the 320 borg code to the 341 several variables needed to be changed. As part of that change, a bad formula had the borg consider all monster melee damage as 0.
    • Borg told not to dive deeper than depth 5 if his strength is depleted to 7 or lower. He will be allowed to stay in shallow depths and wait for the town to restock Potions of Restore Strength.
    • Borg was trying to sell Ring of the Dog to the shop. Shops don't like that ring since it has -2 pval.
    • Better implementation of the EFF_<effects> in borg_heal().
    • Support added for Ring of Open Wounds. Hopefully, we will see some rogues and warriors carrying the rings and using the CSW effect.
    • The curse fear from Rings of Escaping won't have a huge penalty for mages. The penalty is for non-mages.
    • The borg would not consider new gear if his inventory full. Since he spends so much time full, I changed that so he can swap his gear around even if he were full.
    • The borg was not swapping in a lantern while carrying several torches. The combined value of the torch and all the fuel out-weighed the value of the light-radius boost. Fixed that by reducing the value of the fuel.
    St George Chiropractor
    Angband Borg Homepage
  • Pete Mack
    Prophet
    • Apr 2007

Town does NOT restock restore strength. Instead, scum for Mushroom of Vigor on DL 3-4.

Comment

• takkaria
      Veteran
      • Apr 2007

This is great, thanks! 3.5 is coming up and it's made quite a few changes which have affected our copy of the borg code, so there have been quite a lot of technical changes in order to keep it compiling and running (and a bit of cleanup). But this means we have two divergent borgs now.

I'm happy to do the work to port over the changes we've made since 3.4.1 to this version, but it would be useful to know what your 3.4.1 borg is based on and what changes it has. Did you start from the borg directory shipped with 3.4.1, or your earlier borg from 3.2.0?
      takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• APWhite
        Adept
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by takkaria
        I'm happy to do the work to port over the changes we've made since 3.4.1 to this version, but it would be useful to know what your 3.4.1 borg is based on and what changes it has. Did you start from the borg directory shipped with 3.4.1, or your earlier borg from 3.2.0?
        I began with the version I had for 3.2.

The changes are coming pretty steadily. Most of the fixes are to repair subtle game changes. If you follow the borg's facebook page or stop by the website, you can find the posts on the recent changes.

I will try to get the 3.5 up and running asap. But I have tried several times to use Github and I am not interested in that learning curve. I'm a full-time college professor and full-time chiropractic physician. I don't have free time for that sort of thing. Someone else can upload my changes.
        St George Chiropractor
        Angband Borg Homepage

Comment

• takkaria
          Veteran
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by APWhite
          I began with the version I had for 3.2.
          OK, great. If you hang on with the 3.5 changes for a week or two then I should be able to give you a compiling borg updated for the code changes.

Comment

• takkaria
            Veteran
            • Apr 2007

Hi APW, so I have a version of the borg that has all the changes for 3.5 ported across. I still need to compile it and work out the bugs but are you interested in me sending it to you as the basis of a 3.5 borg?

Comment

• APWhite
              Adept
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by takkaria
              Hi APW, so I have a version of the borg that has all the changes for 3.5 ported across. I still need to compile it and work out the bugs but are you interested in me sending it to you as the basis of a 3.5 borg?
              Absolutely. The 341 is coming along very nicely. I have many of the loops and bugs worked out.

I got a working Visual Studio solution for 3.5. If you send me the 3.5 borg (and updated game source) that you have, I'll get it working and send it back.

Do you have my email address?
              Andrew
              St George Chiropractor
              Angband Borg Homepage

Comment

• takkaria
                Veteran
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by APWhite
                Absolutely. The 341 is coming along very nicely. I have many of the loops and bugs worked out.

I got a working Visual Studio solution for 3.5. If you send me the 3.5 borg (and updated game source) that you have, I'll get it working and send it back.

Do you have my email address?
                I do, yes. I got busy with other stuff (like arguing on forums) so haven't finished the transplant yet but it's nearly there. I also have some cleanups that I've not ported across but they can wait because they're not necessary for 3.5. I'll email you about them too.

Comment

• Zappa
                  Apprentice
                  • Feb 2008

I apologize for asking, but is someone able to help me get this to work? I follow the directions but upon clicking Preview in the screensaver settings I get an error. I'm being told that angband.exe is not a valid win32 program.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎