• Show
Clear All
  • new.ideas
    Rookie
    • Feb 2008

Questions about Dlvl40 and more

At first: a link to my char:

1. How far can I dive?
    2. What does "perfect Saving Throw" exactly mean?
    3. Any wielding tips? (i found an amulet of Sustenance)
    4. How much is a =Speed or other Speed Stuff at the black market? So how much money should I always have at least?
    5. Could somebody show me a pic of a Anti-Summoning Corridor? I still haven't got that...
    6. When will the Resistances I lack become important? (nether, nexus, Chaos, Sound, Disen) rFear is not needed, right?
  • Djabanete
    Knight
    • Apr 2007

I'll take a whack at this.
    Originally posted by new.ideas
    1. How far can I dive?
    Go as fast as feels comfortable to you --- I'm assuming that since it's your first time at this depth you'll want to play it safe. I've never had a priest at that depth so it's hard for me to judge, but given your HP and resistances, I imagine you shouldn't have too hard a time going at least to the mid-40's.

2. What does "perfect Saving Throw" exactly mean?
    It means you'll always be safe from certain attacks. Not exactly sure which attacks allow a saving throw (I know that cursing does, and maybe blindness/confusion/fear spells?), but I know you don't need FA if you have perfect save.

3. Any wielding tips? (i found an amulet of Sustenance)
    I'd use the Holy Avenger sitting in your home, since it provides Wisdom and does a lot more damage than the Defender.

4. How much is a =Speed or other Speed Stuff at the black market? So how much money should I always have at least?
    I wouldn't even worry about this. Items of speed in the BM are pretty rare, so you're better off just buying whatever you want at the stores and not concerning yourself over whether or not you'll have enough money left. That said, I think speed rings/boots tend to go for anywhere between $300K and $800K.

5. Could somebody show me a pic of a Anti-Summoning Corridor? I still haven't got that...
    Let me try to create one using my favorite equal-width font:

########
    #@#B# #
    ##A# # #
    ########

Note that if a summoner is on square A, his summons cannot reach you, and if he's on square B, he won't summon because he can't see you.

6. When will the Resistances I lack become important? (nether, nexus, Chaos, Sound, Disen) rFear is not needed, right?
    It doesn't hurt to have those resists, but I don't think even a single one of them is vital until at least the 50's, as long as you are vigilant and detect monsters frequently. You are some risk from stunning (Sound/Plasma breath) and nether bolts (Dreads and other monsters), but those are not lethal as long as you have your wits about you.

Comment

• new.ideas
      Rookie
      • Feb 2008

Okay, i updated my Dump.
      So now: clvl 40, dlvl 44

What's new: Boots of Speed (+6)

What should I keep in my Home and what stuff can i drop? I heard i should look for Ammunition of Slay Evil for Morgoth, but I still haven't found any.
      Should I keep Healing Pots? I mean: The Priest Spell is good, too. (the only danger would be, when I'm stunned)

I also saw my first greater vault, but didn't get too much out of it because there was a Jabberwock that nearly killed me, so i used teleport level.

edit: thanks for the advice btw. Mh, you said that the HA would do more Damage, but does that matter? I always try to avoid melee and also when the enemies are next to me I use a OoD/Heal Combo Tactic.

Comment

• Pete Mack
        Prophet
        • Apr 2007

Okay, i updated my Dump.
        So now: clvl 40, dlvl 44

What's new: Boots of Speed (+6)

What should I keep in my Home and what stuff can i drop? I heard i should look for Ammunition of Slay Evil for Morgoth, but I still haven't found any.
        Should I keep Healing Pots? I mean: The Priest Spell is good, too. (the only danger would be, when I'm stunned)

I also saw my first greater vault, but didn't get too much out of it because there was a Jabberwock that nearly killed me, so i used teleport level.

edit: thanks for the advice btw. Mh, you said that the HA would do more Damage, but does that matter? I always try to avoid melee and also when the enemies are next to me I use a OoD/Heal Combo Tactic.
        OOD is very mana-expensive in close combat. I try to use archery and melee most of the time. With the HA and Protection from Evil, you should have no trouble mowing down great mobs of monsters. With a defender, that's not possible.

Also, that XBow is pretty good against non-evil monsters.
        With +5 bolts, the XBow does 136 damage/turn, while Holy Orb does only 70. With branded ammo, the XBow does ~400 dam/turn, which is excellent.
        Things are even better with Seeker ammo. As for keeping the potions: Morgoth can stun you with Earthquake, so you need a few. But in a slow game, you don't need many, because you will get so much !restore mana.

Comment

• Daniel Fishman
          Adept
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Djabanete
          It means you'll always be safe from certain attacks. Not exactly sure which attacks allow a saving throw (I know that cursing does, and maybe blindness/confusion/fear spells?), but I know you don't need FA if you have perfect save.
          You get a saving throw against cursing spells, blindness, confusion, fear, slowing and paralysis spells, and against melee paralysis attacks. (I'm not sure if saving throw protects against blindness/confusion/fear melee attacks - I'm pretty certain it doesn't protect against blindness/confusion from breaths). So a perfect saving throw does replace Free Action, though it requires quite a bit of courage to rely on that!

Comment

• new.ideas
            Rookie
            • Feb 2008

Here a new Update again:

Code:
            [Angband 3.0.6 Character Dump]

Name   Durim Thunderbeard                       Self  RB  CB  EB   Best
             Sex    Male              Age        36   STR! 18/100  +2  -1  +2 18/130
             Race   Dwarf             Height     48   INT! 18/100  -3  -3  +6 18/100
             Class  Priest            Weight    162   WIS! 18/100  +2  +3  +8 18/230
             Title  Prophet           Status     39   DEX! 18/100  -2  -1  +1  18/80
             HP     811/811           Maximize    Y   CON! 18/100  +2  +0 +12 18/240
             SP     340/340           Preserve    Y   CHR! 18/100  -3  +2  +0  18/90

Level           43       Armor     [27,+80]     Saving Throw  Legendary
             Cur Exp    2596226       Fight    (+18,+17)     Stealth            Poor
             Max Exp    2596226       Melee    (+27,+28)     Fighting      Legendary
             Adv Exp    2940000       Shoot    (+30,+15)     Shooting         Heroic
             MaxDepth   2500 ft       Blows       3/turn     Disarming        Superb
             Gold       1078499       Shots       2/turn     Magic Device     Heroic
             Burden   115.5 lbs                              Perception         Fair
             Speed           +7       Infra        50 ft     Searching          Fair

You are the only child of a Dwarven Miner.  You are a credit to the
             family.  You have dark brown eyes, straight black hair, a one foot
             beard, and a dark complexion.

abcdefghijkl@       abcdefghijkl@
             Acid:......+.+.... Blind:.........+..+
             Elec:.+......+.... Confu:......+......
             Fire:.+......+.... Sound:.............
             Cold:.+......+.... Shard:.......+.....
             Pois:......+...... Nexus:.............
             Fear:+............ Nethr:.............
             Lite:........+.... Chaos:.............
             Dark:........+.... Disen:.............

abcdefghijkl@       abcdefghijkl@
            S.Dig:.+..+........ Stea.:.............
            Feath:............. Sear.:.............
            PLite:............. Infra:.............
            Regen:............. Tunn.:.............
            Telep:.........+... Speed:.+.........+.
            Invis:+....+....... Blows:.............
            FrAct:............. Shots:.+...........
            HLife:....+........ Might:.+...........

[Character Equipment]

a) a Flail (Holy Avenger) (2d6) (+9,+11) [+3] (+2)
               It increases your wisdom by 2.  It slays demons, undead, and all evil
               creatures.  It provides resistance to fear.  It is blessed by the gods.
               It grants you the ability to see invisible things.  It might have
               hidden powers.
            b) The Short Bow of Amras (x2) (+12,+15) (+1 to speed) {'2200, Cherub}
               It increases your intelligence, wisdom, and dexterity by 1.  It
               increases your speed, shooting speed, and shooting power by 1.  It
               provides resistance to lightning, fire, and cold.  It slows your
               metabolism.  It cannot be harmed by the elements.  
            c) a Gold Ring of Constitution (+4)
               It increases your constitution by 4.  It sustains your constitution.  
            d) a Gold Ring of Constitution (+3)
               It increases your constitution by 3.  It sustains your constitution.  
            e) a Golden Amulet of Sustenance
               It provides resistance to life draining.  It sustains all your stats.  
               It slows your metabolism.  It cannot be harmed by the elements.  
            f) The Star of Elendil
               It lights the dungeon around you.  It grants you the ability to see
               invisible things.  It activates for magic mapping every 50+d50 turns.  
               It cannot be harmed by the elements.  
            g) The Augmented Chain Mail of Caspanion (-2) [16,+20] (+3) {'1700, LV}
               It increases your intelligence, wisdom, and constitution by 3.  It
               provides resistance to acid, poison, and confusion.  It activates for 
               door and trap destruction every 10 turns.  It cannot be harmed by the
               elements.  
            h) a Cloak of Protection [1,+11]
               It provides resistance to shards.  It cannot be harmed by the elements.

i) The Large Leather Shield of Celegorm [4,+20] {'1500, Mim}
               It provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, cold, light, and dark.
            j) The Hard Leather Cap of Thranduil [2,+10] (+2) {'2200, Death Knight}
               It increases your intelligence and wisdom by 2.  It provides resistance
               to blindness.  It grants you the power of telepathy.  It cannot be
               harmed by the elements.  
            k) The Set of Leather Gloves 'Cambeleg' (+8,+8) [1,+15] (+2) {'2500, Draconic }
               It increases your strength and constitution by 2.  It cannot be harmed
               by the elements.  It might have hidden powers.
            l) a Pair of Hard Leather Boots of Speed [3,-3] (+6)
               It increases your speed by 6.  

[Character Inventory]

a) 3 Holy Books of Prayers [Beginners Handbook]
            b) 3 Holy Books of Prayers [Words of Wisdom]
            c) 5 Holy Books of Prayers [Chants and Blessings] {@m3!d!k!v}
            d) 3 Holy Books of Prayers [Exorcism and Dispelling] {@m4!d!k!v}
            e) a Holy Book of Prayers [Ethereal Openings] {@m5!d!k!v}
            f) a Holy Book of Prayers [Godly Insights] {@m6!d!k!v}
            g) a Holy Book of Prayers [Purifications and Healing] {@m7!d!k!v}
            h) 7 Clotted Red Potions of Cure Critical Wounds
            i) 5 Scrolls titled "ha iv wahevs" of Teleport Level

[Home Inventory]

a) 29 Smoky Potions of Speed
            b) 17 Coagulated Crimson Potions of Berserk Strength
            c) 25 Pungent Potions of Healing
            d) an Azure Potion of *Healing*
            e) 32 Yellow Potions of Restore Mana
            f) 7 Scrolls titled "vivfu marer" of Teleportation
            g) 4 Scrolls titled "ha iv wahevs" of Teleport Level
            h) 24 Scrolls titled "hafor soan" of Identify {@r0}
            i) 27 Scrolls titled "ionden bu mi" of *Identify*
            j) 35 Scrolls titled "shu friish sa" of Recharging
            k) a Gold-Plated Wand of Annihilation (3 charges)
            l) 2 Oak Staffs of Speed (10 charges)
            m) a Redwood Staff of Holiness (3 charges)
            n) 2 Mulberry Staffs of *Destruction* (5 charges)
            o) an Aquamarine Ring of Resist Poison
               It provides resistance to poison.  
            p) a Dragon Tooth Amulet of Wisdom (+5)
               It increases your wisdom by 5.  It sustains your wisdom.  
            q) The Chain Mail of Arvedui (-2) [14,+15] (+2) {'1500, Troll-Pit}
               It increases your strength and charisma by 2.  It provides resistance
               to acid, lightning, fire, cold, shards, and nexus.  It cannot be harmed
               by the elements.  
            r) The Full Plate Armour of Isildur [25,+25] (+1) {'2200, Acquirement}
               It increases your constitution by 1.  It provides resistance to acid, 
               lightning, fire, cold, confusion, sound, and nexus.  It cannot be
               harmed by the elements.  
            s) The Cloak of Thorongil [1,+10] {'2000, Bert}
               It provides resistance to acid and fear.  It grants you immunity to
               paralysis and the ability to see invisible things.  It cannot be harmed
               by the elements.  
            t) The Iron Helm 'Holhenneth' [5,+10] (+2) {'2500, Earth Hound}
               It increases your intelligence and wisdom by 2.  It increases your 
               searching by 2.  It cannot be harmed by the elements.  It might have
               hidden powers.
            u) The Set of Leather Gloves 'Cammithrim' [1,+10] {'2200, Acquirement}
               It provides resistance to light.  It sustains your constitution.  It 
               lights the dungeon around you.  It grants you immunity to paralysis.  
               It activates for magic missile (2d6) every 2 turns.  It cannot be
               harmed by the elements.  
            v) The Executioner's Sword 'Crisdurian' (4d5) (+18,+19) {'2200}
               It slays orcs, trolls, giants, dragons, undead, and all evil creatures.
               It grants you the ability to see invisible things.  It cannot be harmed
               by the elements.  
            w) a Whip of Westernesse (1d3) (+8,+14) (+2)
               It increases your strength, dexterity, and constitution by 2.  It slays 
               orcs, trolls, and giants.  It grants you immunity to paralysis and the
               ability to see invisible things.  
            x) a Heavy Crossbow of Extra Shots (x4) (+15,+9) (+1)
               It increases your shooting speed by 1.  

[Options]

Adult: Allow purchase of stats using points  : no  (adult_point_based)
            Adult: Allow specification of minimal stats  : yes (adult_auto_roller)
            Adult: Maximize effect of race/class bonuses : yes (adult_maximize)
            Adult: Preserve artifacts when leaving level : yes (adult_preserve)
            Adult: Restrict the use of stairs/recall     : no  (adult_ironman)
            Adult: Restrict the use of stores/home       : no  (adult_no_stores)
            Adult: Restrict creation of artifacts        : no  (adult_no_artifacts)
            Adult: Randomize some of the artifacts (beta): no  (adult_rand_artifacts)
            Adult: Don't stack objects on the floor      : no  (adult_no_stacking)
            Score: Peek into object creation             : no  (score_peek)
            Score: Peek into monster creation            : no  (score_hear)
            Score: Peek into dungeon creation            : no  (score_room)
            Score: Peek into something else              : no  (score_xtra)
            Score: Know complete monster info            : no  (score_know)
            Score: Allow player to avoid death           : no  (score_live)
            General advice please

What shall I take with me on my dungeon tours? What should I be looking for? How far do you think I can dive? Other Equipment?

Mh, and is it right, that a stat of 18/220 is "max" (so you don't get any benefits from higher stats)?

btw: 51 uniques dead, 23 artifacts found, millionaire! (hehe) and ridiculously many Steps because the Priest-Shop never sells the Books I need, after a hydra or something like that burnt them all up.

Comment

• Pete Mack
              Prophet
              • Apr 2007

You are in great shape. Now go find a Speed Ring.

* You can get rid of one of the Rings of Constitution, and replace it with Strength, Dexterity, or Damage. Right now, you only have 3 blows; a priest should have 4. (Holy Orb is not nearly as effective as combat, if you can actually dish out real damage.)

* Amulet of Sustenance does almost no good for a DL 43 Priest carrying P&H. You would probably be better off with Regeneration.

* If you are planning to use all those magic devices, you might as well carry some of them with you...

* Enchant your boots back to +5 or so. It will reduce acid damage, modestly.

* If you need stuff that's currently unavailable in the Alchemist or the Temple, just buy everything in stock, and the shop will restock. You are exceedingly unlikely to need all that gold. No need to burn time on dl 1.

Comment

• rawuest
                Rookie
                • Jul 2007

But you never know what you might find on dl1

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                You are in great shape. Now go find a Speed Ring.

* If you need stuff that's currently unavailable in the Alchemist or the Temple, just buy everything in stock, and the shop will restock. You are exceedingly unlikely to need all that gold. No need to burn time on dl 1.
                I had a character, one that didn't have enough gold, who went down to dl1 and had a special feeling. Found Cammithrim.

Comment

• new.ideas
                  Rookie
                  • Feb 2008

Thanks a lot!

* okay, then I think I'll go for =Dex - perhaps i get 5blows/turn.
                  * Yeah, the lack of Regeneration is somewhat annoying.
                  * Yes, I will take the devices with me. I don't use devices that much and when I would like to use one, they are burnt up or empty. :/
                  * just haven't seen, that th boots dropped to -5 again, thanks
                  * mh, okay, but I think on my first real try for a Win the Steps don't bother me (especially they are very high now anyway)

edit:

Are "Protection from Evil" and "Prayer" cumulative? So if I cast it 10 times in a row it will last 10 times as long?
                  Last edited by new.ideas; February 29, 2008, 14:39.

Comment

• Narvius
                    Knight
                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                    Well, THAT's *useful*.
                    If you can convincingly pretend you're crazy, you probably are.

Comment

• new.ideas
                      Rookie
                      • Feb 2008

Yeah, found a =Speed(+6), so now i have +13 Speed. Also found a better HA with WIS+3 and a bit more DAM - clvl44.

Mh, above is still the link to the dump. Can I dive deeper than 50?

There are still some Uniques, i didn't kill at this level like the Balrog of Moria and Ar-Pharazon (who i met often by now, but always it gets close, he teleports me away)

Still looking for a better amulet.

edit: Ar-Pharazon is no more
                      edit2: ah yeah, i found Holy Infusions. So i will Shoot a bit more from now on, I think

edit3:
                      Found another =Speed, but it is only +4, so I think the RoCon is better, right?
                      I also found 'Sting'.

I need advice which stuff from my Home i can throw away and what i should keep?
                      And can anybody explain me the consequence from wielding a non-blessed weapon? Should I trash/sell all non-blessed Weapons right away?
                      Last edited by new.ideas; February 29, 2008, 16:38.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                        Prophet
                        • Apr 2007

Yeah, found a =Speed(+6), so now i have +13 Speed. Also found a better HA with WIS+3 and a bit more DAM - clvl44.

Mh, above is still the link to the dump. Can I dive deeper than 50?
                        Yes. Make sure to have a reliable escape. (Teleport Level, etc.)

Found another =Speed, but it is only +4, so I think the RoCon is better, right?
                        I also found 'Sting'.
                        Yes, RoCON is definitely better, especially since you have > +10 normal speed.
                        I need advice which stuff from my Home i can throw away and what i should keep?
                        And can anybody explain me the consequence from wielding a non-blessed weapon? Should I trash/sell all non-blessed Weapons right away?
                        Maybe keep your best non-blessed weapon--Crisdurian. It's not one of the top 5 weapons, though, so no great loss.

Are "Protection from Evil" and "Prayer" cumulative? So if I cast it 10 times in a row it will last 10 times as long?
                        Yes. (Note that Haste Self (!speed) is NOT cumulative.)

Comment

• new.ideas
                          Rookie
                          • Feb 2008

Hrm, sold Crisdurian some time before your post because i didn't find it that good :/

A Question:
                          There are monsters, that disenchant your wands and staves and therefore get HP back, right?
                          So the best idea would be to carry only few charged wands and only charge them if I need them?

I fell kind of safe at this depth, but the newbie guide says I need rChaos and rNether to go deeper, but I lack that.

Comment

• new.ideas
                            Rookie
                            • Feb 2008

Some more Questions:

I'm now clv50 and at dlvl60.
                            What should I know?
                            I think I reada lot of times that I should avoid the unique Angels (all?). And I learned that Time Hounds are very nasty.
                            But is a single Great Hell Wyrm okay?

Which items should I collect for the end-fight?
                            except Ammunition of Slay Evil? Do I need Mass Banishment? or *Destruction*?

edit: again the question what i can trash....

edit: found the Shield of Anarion - but "sustains all stats" isn't useful to a Priest with P&H, right? even in the endgame?

edit: Yeah, killed Uriel and the blind Cyclops

edit: How important is rShards? I wear a Cloak of Protection, but I found the Cloak Holcolleth with speed/stealth/int/wis+2 (but my Wis is at 18/240 anyway)

edit: found Shield of Thorin. What is max blows/turn for a priest? Because due to the attack.spo i should have 5 blows/turn with my Dagger HA.
                            Last edited by new.ideas; March 2, 2008, 20:07.

Comment

• rawuest
                              Rookie
                              • Jul 2007

Some more Questions:

I'm now clv50 and at dlvl60.
                              What should I know?
                              I think I reada lot of times that I should avoid the unique Angels (all?). And I learned that Time Hounds are very nasty.
                              But is a single Great Hell Wyrm okay?
                              Azriel is an annoyance but not a total avoid, the reward is not always worht the hassle
                              Gabriel is a total avoidance if you cannot establish an ASC. He summons angels, mainly solars. And Solars summon Angels, mainly solars. Can be a neverending fight.
                              Wyrms are great if you have the correct resistance sets. I usually use haste items when fighting wyrms to remain on the safe side. But the potential rewards are worth the risks

edit: found the Shield of Anarion - but "sustains all stats" isn't useful to a Priest with P&H, right? even in the endgame?
                              If you gonna fight hand to hand with Morgoth Anarion could be very useful. I would keep this item. But in the end if you play smartly you don't truly need it but I would still keep it because there is a chance you might want to use it assuming you got your resistances covered and the key stats maxed without using another shield.

edit: How important is rShards? I wear a Cloak of Protection, but I found the Cloak Holcolleth with speed/stealth/int/wis+2 (but my Wis is at 18/240 anyway)
                              at that stage of the game the nuisance of shards is minimal so excluding any big breathers you don't have to have rshards. Still pay attention to the level of cuts. If you don't feel comfortabel without rshards then keep the cloak of protection, But I would reccommend switching to Holcolleth

edit: found Shield of Thorin. What is max blows/turn for a priest? Because due to the attack.spo i should have 5 blows/turn with my Dagger HA.
                              yeah, know if you want to be silly start cloning acidic cytoplasms. Big drops but nothing guaranteed good

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎