• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Uqbar
    Rookie
    • Aug 2010

Spoilers: are they complete?

Hi all.
    I'm new here, but have been playing rougue-like since ROGUE.
    I am now running Angband (after a a few years of hiatus).
    From time to time I need to recall things to myself and go to the spoilers.
    For example, I've just found a "potion of intellect". In the "obj-long.spo" I can only find a "potion of intelligence".
    Are they the same?
    If not, why is there no mention to it in the spoilers?
    Where can I find a complete information source?
    TIA.

UPDATE. I've just tried that potion. It's NOT the same as the "potion of intelligence".
    Last edited by Uqbar; March 15, 2013, 10:18.
    Your armour has been eaten! Get ready to die.
  • Mondkalb
    Knight
    • Apr 2007

There are some new shallower potions now, but what they do is precisely mentioned in their description (if you identify or try them).
    They raise one stat at the expense of one random other stat.
    You can use them to boost a specific stat, that you need, if you are willing to accept the loss of another maybe useful stat. But if you are lucky, you loose charisma. ^^

The better potions are still there, only deeper (usually starting around ~1600'). Potions of charisma show up a little bit earlier, I believe.
    My Angband winners so far

My FAangband efforts so far

Comment

• Derakon
      Prophet
      • Dec 2009

As a general rule, if you're curious what an item does, use the 'I' command to inspect it, after having identified it. The 'I' command should tell you everything that would have been in the spoilers; these days we tend to prefer to give the player information in-game than require them to look things up in a separate file.

Comment

• Magnate
        Angband Devteam member
        • May 2007

@OP: welcome to Oook. I'm afraid the spoilers haven't been updated since 3.0.8, which was 12 versions ago!
        "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Uqbar
          Rookie
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Magnate
          @OP: welcome to Oook. I'm afraid the spoilers haven't been updated since 3.0.8, which was 12 versions ago!
          :-(
          Is there a way I can help?
          Your armour has been eaten! Get ready to die.

Comment

• Magnate
            Angband Devteam member
            • May 2007

Originally posted by Uqbar
            :-(
            Is there a way I can help?
            Well, you could update them by source-diving (lib/edit/object.txt contains most of the details you'll need on base objects) if you wanted - but if you wanted to explore the game a bit first and update them later that would be equally appreciated. If you post whatever you come up with on here, I'm sure dozens of people will give you feedback!
            "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
              Prophet
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Magnate
              Well, you could update them by source-diving
              Doesn't debug-mode still have "create spoilers" for items which makes them based on edit-files?

...testing... there is, but it seems to be "brief" which is a lot less useful than full because it doesn't contain any descriptions. You get basically just list of items in the game.

Useful for base of creating your own spoiler-file if you want (it separates items by item types, though you might want to separate diggers from weapons which it doesn't do).

No ego-spoilers at all I'm afraid.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍