X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scud
    Swordsman
    • Jan 2011

Curious mittens (3.3.2)?

I'm a dwarf priest, so my base max STR is 18/110. With my mittens off my STR is 18/180.

I have Mittens A which are (+4,+9) with no STR/DEX bonus, and Mittens B which are (+0,+3) with +6 STR. On trying them out I noticed my average damage/round numbers were unchanged.

My mittenless melee is (+32,+33).

Wearing Mittens A my stats are:
    Fight (+24,+23)
    Melee (+36,+42)
    Shoot (+36,+28)

And with Mittens B:
    Fight (+22,+23)
    Melee (+34,+42)
    Shoot (+34,+28)

I initially though that maximising my STR with Mittens B gives me a 6pt increase in damage, thereby negating the additional damage of Mittens A, then thought that 6pts sounded far too little. And I didn't understand was the 2pt swing in to-hit.

So naturally I decided to take all my clothes off.

If I stand there wearing just my mittens the numbers are:

Mittens A:
    STR 18/110
    Armour [5,+10]
    Fight (+14,+16)
    Melee (+14,+16)
    Shoot (+14,+0)

Mittens B:
    STR 18/170
    Armour [5,+26]
    Fight (+16,+16)
    Melee (+16,+16)
    Shoot (+16,+0)

So:

a. A six notch increase in STR from 18/110 to 18/170 is balanced by a 6pt variance in to-dam?

b. The same goes for 18/180 to 18/*** (which I *thought* was capped at 18/210 given my 18/110 'base best')?

c. Either STR increases your to-hit numbers, or increased AC (regardless of encumbrance) reduces your to-hit numbers?

d. I have curious mittens?
  • Timo Pietilä
    Prophet
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by scud
    So:

a. A six notch increase in STR from 18/110 to 18/170 is balanced by a 6pt variance in to-dam?

b. The same goes for 18/180 to 18/*** (which I *thought* was capped at 18/210 given my 18/110 'base best')?

c. Either STR increases your to-hit numbers, or increased AC (regardless of encumbrance) reduces your to-hit numbers?
    STR increase (after certain point) increases your to_hit and to_dam (not same scale), two last points from 18/200 to 18/220 (which is 18/***) increases to_dam by two points each. 18/220 is max for all stats (can actually go a lot higher, but there is no benefit above that). STR does not affect your AC, DEX does.

Comment

• scud
      Swordsman
      • Jan 2011

Thanks, Timo.

Does extreme DEX also improve damage? It would seem logical that being very dextrous would allow you to retarget a blow at the last split second for added goriness.

Sorry I took so long in replying, I was mourning the death of Nimrod III. Many millions of XP after Sauron's death he got a little over-enthusiastic while facing an ever-increasing number of Great Wyrms.

Comment

• Derakon
        Prophet
        • Dec 2009

DEX improves your to-hit and factors into your ability to get extra blows, but does not directly improve your damage per blow. It might have an effect on your critical hit chance; I can't remember offhand how Vanilla crits work.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎