X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jgbrowning
    Scout
    • May 2012

Phase Door Question

Has anyone else noticed how Phase door seems to send you in one direction repeatedly? In my most recent fight, I've used it 6 times and I keep going east into uncharted territory as opposed to any other (and much better) direction. Just bad luck?

joe b.
  • jgbrowning
    Scout
    • May 2012

Well, at least Smeagol dropped a Defender Quarterstaff...

joe b.

Comment

• Magnate
      Angband Devteam member
      • May 2007

Originally posted by jgbrowning
      Has anyone else noticed how Phase door seems to send you in one direction repeatedly? In my most recent fight, I've used it 6 times and I keep going east into uncharted territory as opposed to any other (and much better) direction. Just bad luck?
      Very. I usually have the opposite problem, of it ping-ponging me between two equally dangerous locations.

Ho hum.
      "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• jgbrowning
        Scout
        • May 2012

Originally posted by Magnate
        Very. I usually have the opposite problem, of it ping-ponging me between two equally dangerous locations.

Ho hum.
        That seems to happen to me with teleport.

joe b.

Comment

• Derakon
          Prophet
          • Dec 2009

Note that you cannot teleport into a vault, even if you're already in one. So if you try to phase door when in a vault you'll likely just get dumped to the closest non-vault space -- which can be really handy or really dangerous, depending on the locale.

Comment

• jgbrowning
            Scout
            • May 2012

That is nice to know. Could come in handy once I start diving a bit.

joe b.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
              Prophet
              • Apr 2007

joe b.
              Which version? There was a real problem with teleport having too long minimum range at earlier versions causing you literally to ping-pong between two bad places near the edge of the dungeon. For that reason Priest portal was actually more useful because it had much shorter range.

I think this is now corrected in 3.3 onward (I think, no guarantee that this is actually the case).

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                Prophet
                • Apr 2008

joe b.
                This is normal. Teleport range can be over 200 squares (at least for mage/priest spells), which more than exceeds the size of the level. So you get teleported to the other side of the level and a second teleport has a high chance to bring you back where you started.
                PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• jgbrowning
                  Scout
                  • May 2012

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
                  Which version? There was a real problem with teleport having too long minimum range at earlier versions causing you literally to ping-pong between two bad places near the edge of the dungeon. For that reason Priest portal was actually more useful because it had much shorter range.

I think this is now corrected in 3.3 onward (I think, no guarantee that this is actually the case).
                  I'm using 3.3.2.

joe b.

Comment

• Derakon
                    Prophet
                    • Dec 2009

It occurs to me that one way to handle Teleport is to divide the level up into sectors and select a sector at random, then teleport the player to a square in that sector. Of course you disallow the sector the player is already in (and possibly the ones immediately adjacent), but this should otherwise ensure that the player teleports at least some distance away while also providing for a large range of possible teleportation targets.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                      Prophet
                      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Derakon
                      It occurs to me that one way to handle Teleport is to divide the level up into sectors and select a sector at random, then teleport the player to a square in that sector. Of course you disallow the sector the player is already in (and possibly the ones immediately adjacent), but this should otherwise ensure that the player teleports at least some distance away while also providing for a large range of possible teleportation targets.
                      For my variant, I keep the previous player location in a variable and ensure that the next location after teleporting is far enough from that location. This fixes the problem of teleporting twice on the same spot.
                      PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎