X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Moriwen
    Rookie
    • Oct 2012

One more question

So I've posted twice in the last couple of days, and am feeling very high-maintenance.

But. I've got a level 43 character for the first time (save-scumming, because I'm lame like that) and I'm starting to think about the final fight, and my home is starting to fill up.

Can anybody give me suggestions of what things I should be using but am not, or vice versa? I'm going to have to get rid of some artifacts, and I don't want to get rid of what was actually something really good.
    a
    Moreover, what should I be stockpiling that I'm not? I'm saving Healing, *Healing*, Restore Mana, Speed (potions and staves), Banishment, Mass Banishment, and *Destruction* (scrolls and staves).

Thanks so much! I'd like to win this character and then try another without save-scumming (or, as I prefer to think of it, "playing Gandalf-style.")

Character dump (if I did it right):
  • Derakon
    Prophet
    • Dec 2009

Consumables to save for the final fight: Speed, big heals, restore mana, destruction, banishment / mass banishment. All potions and scrolls -- staves will get drained by Morgoth's melee attacks, healing him in the process. Not a problem if you don't plan to melee him, of course.

If you're going for melee, ideally you want to be doing 400+ damage/round if all blows hit. There's no hard cutoff here, but the less damage you deal, the longer the fight will take, and it's basically a fight of attrition. Of course as a priest you can heal yourself until the cows come home, so that's less of a big deal.

Regarding your current character:

* You really want to have poison resistance. There are enemies that can deal 800 damage in one shot via poison (c.f. drolems, Shelob). You have 597 hitpoints max; the math should be obvious. Until you get poison resistance, cast detection obsessively and avoid known threats.

* Carry a Staff of Speed with you. Temporary speed is very important especially when your base speed is only +8, but you don't want to waste potions if you can manage it.

* That Ring of Slaying is not all that hot; a good Ring of Damage would be preferable. Obviously you want the highest speed you can manage.

* Amrod vs. Bard -- currently Bard is only giving you +1 DEX/speed; speed is important, but it's only +1; you should check if Amrod gives you more hitpoints from that +2 CON. Also consider actually performing archery; you can find very powerful arrows that out-damage Orb of Draining even taking into account your miss rate -- and of course archery doesn't require mana.

* You are never going to use Gorlim or Glamdring. Or, from your home, Paurhach, Narthanc, Careth Asdriag, the Phial, Forasgil, or Elvagil. Assuming you don't have any emotional attachment to them, you might as well get rid of them.

Obviously you have a lot of dungeon left to trek through. You might consider just diving to 4900' once you get poison resistance covered -- there's not a huge difference in monster difficulty there compared to where you are now (mostly just a lot more uniques start showing up), but the drops are much better.

Comment

• Moriwen
      Rookie
      • Oct 2012

That helps a lot, thank you!

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢