X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • quarague
    Swordsman
    • Jun 2012

encumbering armor

question one: what does it mean exactly if your armor is so heavy that in encumbers your movement?
    question two: when is this triggered, ie how much weight can the armor have without being encumbering

Currently playing a halftroll paladin, level 37, maxed out strength at 18/190. When I put on a 22 pound chainmail for a total armor weight of around 40 pounds + 10 pounds weapons + 10 pounds arrows he felt encumbered by the weight.
    I understand that a wussy hobbit mage shouldn't wear full plate armor but 60 pounds equipment total for an almost purely melee HT doesn't sound that much.

sidequestion: is there a way to make the message line on top a multiline window? After a single melee attack I have to press space half a dozen times to scroll through the various messages.
  • Malak Darkhunter
    Knight
    • May 2007

Just to be curious how much weight do you have in your inventory? what are you carrying? could you post a char dump so we could look at your character?

Comment

• quarague
      Swordsman
      • Jun 2012

I can put up a character dump but I just looked through the help file and didn't find the command to generate one (v3.3.2 running on linux). How do I make a char dump? Thanks.
      I noticed the effect when switching back and forth between a 12 pound and a 22 pound armor. So the total weight carried by the char does not change when I get the encumerance message.

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
        Knight
        • May 2007

I'm running windows, so this might be the same but you press(F) at the character screen to dump file, and it then stores your character file in the lib/user folder, you then go to the ladder and submit that file that is in your lib/user folder, should have characters name on it, and upload that file to the ladder and that's it.

Comment

• Derakon
          Prophet
          • Dec 2009

Encumbrance by armor just loses you spellpoints -- one point per pound over the limit. It has nothing to do with inventory or your quiver, just the armor you're wearing. It's usually not a big deal, but mages generally want to avoid wearing really heavy armor in the early game before their mana pools have exploded.

There's no way to make the message line multiline, but I'm pretty sure you can set up a subwindow to display the message history, and then enable the "automatically clear -more- prompts" option.

Comment

• quarague
            Swordsman
            • Jun 2012

ah, putting on the heavier armor means I have three less spell points (neither of them changes my wisdom) so essentially the 'encumbered movement' happens to any char wearing heavy armor, but a melee focused char doesn't really care about the penalty.
            Here is the dump

if I switch to the heavier artifact chain mail he is encumbered.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎