X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • quarague
    Swordsman
    • Jun 2012

level messages

so when you enter a new dungeon level you get a message about the monster danger and after exploring for a bit one about the expected treasures. Bunch of questions related to these:
    1) are these messages relative to the character level or relative to the dungeon level?
    2) is there a list somewhere with all possible messages from best to worst? I'm not sure about the relative quality in some cases
    3) do they refer to the single most dangerous monster/ most valuable treasure or is cumulative over all monsters/items in the level?
    4) how is the value of treasures measured? is it cash value in town?
    just had a level with superb treasures with a level 22 char on 950 feet and all I found was some magic weapons, not even egos, expected at least an artifact, maybe several?
  • Derakon
    Prophet
    • Dec 2009

The messages are related to dungeon level. I don't believe there are any qualitative messages the game gives you that are related to character level; Angband does not as a general rule adapt itself to the player's power level.

The messages are cumulative, but they use a sum-of-squares system that means that more powerful things on the level have a disproportionately greater impact on the level feeling. That is, if you have two items whose powers are 8 and 10, then you square then to get 64 and 100, meaning that the item whose power is only 2 greater has a ~50% greater impact on the level feeling.

The value of an item is based on its power rating, which is an internal number that's never shown to the player. However, the sale value of the item in town also depends on the item's power rating (and the player's CHA), so yes, more powerful items are also items that sell for more.

Personally I turned level feelings off ages ago and never looked back. I find they don't really have much meaning, and I'd rather play without worrying about never having found whatever it was that justified the high feeling for a given level.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
      Prophet
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by quarague
      so when you enter a new dungeon level you get a message about the monster danger and after exploring for a bit one about the expected treasures. Bunch of questions related to these:
      1) are these messages relative to the character level or relative to the dungeon level?
      Dungeon level. With same items, you'll get a better feeling at shallow depths.

2) is there a list somewhere with all possible messages from best to worst? I'm not sure about the relative quality in some cases
      Check the source code (obj_feeling_text and mon_feeling_text).

3) do they refer to the single most dangerous monster/ most valuable treasure or is cumulative over all monsters/items in the level?
      Cumulative.

4) how is the value of treasures measured? is it cash value in town?
      just had a level with superb treasures with a level 22 char on 950 feet and all I found was some magic weapons, not even egos, expected at least an artifact, maybe several?
      The feeling is based on some formula that involves the cash value of all objects on the level, multiplied by a factor corresponding to the out-of-depthness of the objects. But be careful, this includes anything, not only weapons and artifacts. I've had several levels with a feeling of "excellent treasures" below 1k due to a stat pot generated (which seems to occur quite frequently). So when you have such a feeling and you don't seem to have found anything valuable, check your unidentified scrolls and potions. A plain Ribbed Plate Armour +0 could also trigger a high feeling below 1k, just because its base depth is 3k...
      PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• dos350
        Knight
        • Sep 2010

the messages need 2 b changed 2 how they used2 work
        ~eek

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂