X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • runequester
    Apprentice
    • Mar 2012

linux sound?

I found a package with sound effects for angband and figured I'd try them out. Unpacked them to the right folder, and included the sound.cfg file. However, no sound (SDL, X11 or GTK versions). I don't see an option for it either. Do I need a particular version or am I missing something really obvious?

I am using the version from the (k)ubuntu repositories, if that helps any.
  • Magnate
    Angband Devteam member
    • May 2007

Originally posted by runequester
    I found a package with sound effects for angband and figured I'd try them out. Unpacked them to the right folder, and included the sound.cfg file. However, no sound (SDL, X11 or GTK versions). I don't see an option for it either. Do I need a particular version or am I missing something really obvious?

I am using the version from the (k)ubuntu repositories, if that helps any.
    It does, because I probably built it. Can you give the url to the package you're using, and also to the sounds (if they're not included). Then I can try to replicate the problem.

If you're talking about dubtrain's sounds, they are in a non-standard WAV format which SDL can't process. I'm not sure that x11 or GTK have ever supported sounds, but I could be wrong.
    "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• runequester
      Apprentice
      • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Magnate
      It does, because I probably built it. Can you give the url to the package you're using, and also to the sounds (if they're not included). Then I can try to replicate the problem.

If you're talking about dubtrain's sounds, they are in a non-standard WAV format which SDL can't process. I'm not sure that x11 or GTK have ever supported sounds, but I could be wrong.
      well, that solves it then, since they were indeed the dubtrain sounds.

Are there another set of sounds out there you can suggest?

Comment

• Magnate
        Angband Devteam member
        • May 2007

well, that solves it then, since they were indeed the dubtrain sounds.

Are there another set of sounds out there you can suggest?
        Not so fast - I have a package of the dubtrain sounds available, which I converted to oggs and tested with SDL on Linux - try downloading it and installing with sudo dpkg -i angband-audio_3.1.0-1_all.deb ... it's not perfect (expect odd behaviour if you subsequently uninstall it and try to play without sounds), but let me know if it works for you. (It will only work if you have installed the official debian/ubuntu package for 3.1.2v2 or 3.2.0 or 3.3.2, not if you built your own.)
        "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• runequester
          Apprentice
          • Mar 2012

Hm. If I install by console, I get

"dpkg: error processing angband-audio_3.1.0-1_all.deb (--install):
          trying to overwrite '/usr/share/angband/xtra/sound/sound.cfg', which is also in package angband 1:3.2.0-1
          "

Double clicking on the deb just gives that dependencies cannot be satisfied.

The version is straight from the ubuntu repositories.
          I tried manually extracting and copying the files. After doing so, angband starts but no sound in the SDL version.

Comment

• Magnate
            Angband Devteam member
            • May 2007

Hm. If I install by console, I get

"dpkg: error processing angband-audio_3.1.0-1_all.deb (--install):
            trying to overwrite '/usr/share/angband/xtra/sound/sound.cfg', which is also in package angband 1:3.2.0-1
            "

Double clicking on the deb just gives that dependencies cannot be satisfied.

The version is straight from the ubuntu repositories.
            I tried manually extracting and copying the files. After doing so, angband starts but no sound in the SDL version.
            Ok, there two issues here. The sound package is designed to work with 3.3.2 rather than 3.2.0, which is why it fails to overwrite sound.cfg. You can fix this either by upgrading to 3.3.2, or by installing with --force-overwrite.

Secondly, once the sounds and sound.cfg are installed, you need to choose the use_sound option to enable sound (first page of options).

Comment

• runequester
              Apprentice
              • Mar 2012

Any debian package out there for 3.3.2 or would I need to compile it from source?

Thank you so much for all your help by the way

Comment

• Magnate
                Angband Devteam member
                • May 2007

Any debian package out there for 3.3.2 or would I need to compile it from source?

Thank you so much for all your help by the way
                Yes, 3.3.2 is in debian. I thought it was in Ubuntu as well (checks launchpad ...) yeah it is - it's in Precise. Not sure what repos you're using, or how Kubuntu works, but I'm sure you can get it from a repo somewhere.

Comment

• runequester
                  Apprentice
                  • Mar 2012

Im still using Oneiric, the previous version (Precise is not technically "official" yet).

I've been meaning to upgrade anyways, to get a headstart on it, so I think I'll just do that and then go from there

Assuming my computer doesn't explode, I'll let you know how it works once I've upgraded.

edit: Nothing exploded, got the newer version of angband, installed your package and voila, I have sounds
                  Last edited by runequester; April 23, 2012, 01:23.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎