X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • buzzkill
    Prophet
    • May 2008

Originally posted by Estie
    Suppose that we'd give all metal armours immunity where light armours have resists. So a leather of res fire would correspond to a plate of imm fire; furthermore, this would be the only way to get immunities.
    There's something here. While probably not for V, what if we moved more toward shades of grey, so that heavier armours generally give better levels of resistance. Thus, a robe of rFire might typically grant 25% resistance, leather 40%, chain 66%, and plate 85%. Throw some variability and/or magical pluses (of *resistance), and maybe an immunity could occur occasionally. This might work quite well of FA-type cumulative resists, and maybe even merit a run in v4 with single equipment resists.
    www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
    My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• LostTemplar
      Knight
      • Aug 2009

Or simply do a huge buff to monsters melee so it can kill.
      Adding archers will help also.

Comment

• Lord Tom
        Apprentice
        • Nov 2009

This is a great discussion about the power algorithm and pricing weapons according to it; very interesting. Acknowledging that no system will be judged perfect by all...

I'd agree that pricing for a given weapon should not change with the character's state -- there's the abuse issue and I think it opens up even more variables to optimize in terms of pricing accuracy.

I think rather than pricing gear for a certain game scenario (eg "the endgame"), it'd be better to think of a rough average across a successful game's completion.

So light weapons are markedly more valuable early, with heavier weapons preferred later due to their higher dice. Since the heavier weapons' higher dice is already factored into their cost, just make a small upward adjustment for light weapons.

So call the average blows for a heavy weapon (say) 3, for a really light weapon (say) 4 -- players will get 5 blows with both in the endgame, but will reach 5 much earlier with the light weapon so the average blows count is higher.

I'm guessing that blows are included in weapon power calcs to calibrate them in comparison to damage-doing-non-weapons like wands, etc?

As a final thought, to improve maintainability perhaps monster experience could be calculated by a similar power equation taking into account hp, capabilities, etc?

Comment

• Magnate
          Angband Devteam member
          • May 2007

Originally posted by buzzkill
          There's something here. While probably not for V, what if we moved more toward shades of grey, so that heavier armours generally give better levels of resistance. Thus, a robe of rFire might typically grant 25% resistance, leather 40%, chain 66%, and plate 85%. Throw some variability and/or magical pluses (of *resistance), and maybe an immunity could occur occasionally. This might work quite well of FA-type cumulative resists, and maybe even merit a run in v4 with single equipment resists.
          Ah, good - I'm glad you like that idea. Percentage resists are definitely on my list for v4, but probably not until we implement different damage types properly (see #1580). I'd support the proposal that the higher resist percentages are restricted to heavy armours.

EDIT: Oooh, this was my first-Intel-CPU'th post ;-)
          "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Estie
            Veteran
            • Apr 2008

Grats 4k Magnate

When I said doing exactly that wouldnt be a good idea, that was partly because a more staggered approach like % resists would be better. But the main issue is still that its a bit artificial - heavy armor should protect from blows, not from fire, right ? - however, it would be a way to go if the threat potential from enemy attacks stays so heavily focused on elements.

Thats the bigger issue that hefty archers would change. Unless that happens, I also dont see a split of evasion and absorbtion having much impact. Reducing incoming physical damage is low on the current priority list, so introducing alot of variety there seems a bit superfluous.

Comment

• Adelas
              Rookie
              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Starhawk
              Another two cents: I like the level feelings just the way they are, with the new split and the delayed treasure reading.
              ... Now I can roll through a few rooms and discover the level contains "naught but cobwebs", and continue with my dive instead of being bored for 15 minutes hacking through jackals and discovering weapons(+0,+0).
              QFT.

It might be a "shop here" sign, but I actually like that. It takes a while to get up enough cash to properly equip oneself before moving down the levels.

Comment

• Angrist
                Adept
                • Jul 2014

Somebody is playing with no_preserve? It really makes the game harder? After all, you get a sense of the artifact. Thus we can find the artifacts at the very beginning of the game. Or I do not understand something?

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                  Prophet
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Angrist
                  Somebody is playing with no_preserve? It really makes the game harder? After all, you get a sense of the artifact. Thus we can find the artifacts at the very beginning of the game. Or I do not understand something?
                  Sometimes a special level is not that special. It makes you look for an artifact that just isn't there.

Also getting an uncrackable/too dangerous GV early will hurt.

Comment

• klassik
                    Apprentice
                    • Sep 2013

i think rp'ers would like to have that eerie feeling at the entrance of a difficult dlvl. it is seen in dozens of horror movies so why not convey a sense of danger in a game that uses a suitable setting of a horror movie (like angband does) . using level feelings to determine cash and or utility value of items held within should be eliminated.
                    He did the mash.
                    He did the morgoth mash.
                    The morgoth mash.
                    It was an angband smash.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎