X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Malak Darkhunter
    Knight
    • May 2007

removing creatures

Quick question if you remove the lines of code from creature.txt, and remove the creature from the list will it effectively remove that creature from the game, and also will the changes only show up in the next new game? Loading my savefile didn't seem to make a difference but I suppose because I had a savefile from the before hand changes.
  • Malak Darkhunter
    Knight
    • May 2007

ah never mind I figured it out

Comment

• Magnate
      Angband Devteam member
      • May 2007

Originally posted by Malak Darkhunter
      ah never mind I figured it out
      The safest way to do this is simply to set the rarity to zero for the creatures you don't want to appear. Actually deleting the entries may cause crashes with some savefiles.
      "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
        Knight
        • May 2007

Messing around with angband 2.7.8 for experimental purposes, I though going into lib/file and changing the creature list there would work ad well ad the base object list and changing some values there would work, but it didn't so if in right I have to change values in the source and then compile it.

Comment

• Magnate
          Angband Devteam member
          • May 2007

Messing around with angband 2.7.8 for experimental purposes, I though going into lib/file and changing the creature list there would work ad well ad the base object list and changing some values there would work, but it didn't so if in right I have to change values in the source and then compile it.
          Sorry, I'm not clear what you're trying to do. Are you trying to use the lib/edit files from 2.7.8 in 3.3.2? That's likely to be difficult because there have been numerous changes in format and parsing since then. Or are you trying to backport 3.3.x's edit files to 2.7.8? The same applies in the other direction, though it's probably easier to work out what to change.
          "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
            Knight
            • May 2007

nothing so complicated, I'm simply going into object.txt and monster.txt and experiementing with changing some values there, change damage dice of weapons and artifacts and removing "namely" zephyr hounds from the game, thought I could go into the lib/data files of an already compiled game, but that didn't work after saving changes, so I figured I was going to have to get the source and the files, make changes then compile it, am I wrong? everything is 2.7.8, i like 3.3.2 pretty much as it is. I simply chose 2.7.8 to expereiment with some values. would 3.3.2 be easier to experiement with?

Comment

• Derakon
              Prophet
              • Dec 2009

3.3.2 would be a bit easier to experiment with, yes. What you're missing is that in the older versions of Angband, the .txt files in lib/edit only get looked at if the corresponding file in (I think) lib/data is missing. So you have to delete that file if you want your changes to lib/edit to be noticed. Somewhere along the way this stopped being a requirement, which is why more recent versions are easier to experiment with.

Otherwise, to my knowledge as long as you only want to tweak existing entries or remove them, there shouldn't be a difference in terms of difficulty of modification between the versions. Adding new entries (so the total number of entries for a given file changes) would require code changes in the earlier versions though.

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
                Knight
                • May 2007

angband 2.7.8 dosent have a lib/edit it only has lib/File with R-list, K-list, v-list to change values in, lib/data files are unreadable. If all I have to do is go to lib/edit in 3.3.2 to make changes to artifacts, objects and monsters I will expereiment with that seems a lot cleaner and easier.

Comment

• Magnate
                  Angband Devteam member
                  • May 2007

angband 2.7.8 dosent have a lib/edit it only has lib/File with R-list, K-list, v-list to change values in, lib/data files are unreadable. If all I have to do is go to lib/edit in 3.3.2 to make changes to artifacts, objects and monsters I will expereiment with that seems a lot cleaner and easier.
                  Derakon is right, old versions (prior to 3.1.1) use "raw" files in lib/data to store the contents of the text files. If you want to experiment with an older version, delete everything in lib/data every time you make any changes to text files. Then you'll see your changes in the game.

But yes, 3.3.2 would be a lot easier to experiment with!

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
                    Knight
                    • May 2007

Thanks Magnate deleting the lib/data raw files worked perfectedly, from that point I saw my changes to the game, for 2.7.8 (3.3.2 is still a lot easier thanks

If your curious what I changed was:
                    1. rebalanced base weapons damage dice, some made weaker, some made a little bit stronger.

2. rebalanced artifacts to reflect same damage dice as base weapons, although they have a few extra dice on the more powerful artifacts, in example instead of 2d8, became 3d8 for example, made some artifacts weaker on the damge dice. deathwreaker, glaive of pain, aglarang, gave less damage dice to make them a little bit closer to the other powerful artifacts, weaker overall. Calris a little bit higher, instead of 3d7, gave 5d5.

3. Removed Zephyr hounds, because I hate them, will be slower gaining expereince but lot less aggravation. in 3.3.2 zephyr hounds arent that bad, in 2.7.8 their everywhere( cast's mass genocide).

Comment

• Magnate
                      Angband Devteam member
                      • May 2007

3. Removed Zephyr hounds, because I hate them, will be slower gaining expereince but lot less aggravation. in 3.3.2 zephyr hounds arent that bad, in 2.7.8 their everywhere( cast's mass genocide).
                      Heh. Yes, I fixed that in 3.1.2 or thereabouts - one of the most popular changes I ever made!

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎