X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zero
    Apprentice
    • Jan 2008

Redundant commands

Do we really need to have separate commands for _ and < and > and g?

Do we really need to have separate commands for v and f?

Do we really need to have separate commands for c and j?

Do we really need to have separate commands for B and T and D?

Do we really need to have separate commands for d and k, now that squelching has been implemented?

Do we really need to have separate commands for s and ,?

Do we really need to have separate commands for a and q and z and r and u and m and p and E and F and t and w? You should be able to inscribe items with letters, so that they are always labeled with that letter, regardless of their inventory position. The inventory list would not be alphabetical, but that shouldn't matter.

Reducing the number of commands would free up more keys for keymaps. The way it is now, you can keymap over a command key, but then you have to hit backslash to use the command normally.
  • takkaria
    Veteran
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Zero
    Do we really need to have separate commands for _ and < and > and g?
    In what way is going up stairs like going into a shop? And what if you have stairs and items on the same grid?

Do we really need to have separate commands for v and f?
    One throws and one fires. They are different.

Do we really need to have separate commands for c and j?
    Jamming a door is not closing it.

Do we really need to have separate commands for B and T and D?
    Disarming is not tunnelling is not bashing. There already is an "alter terrain" command, +, which does what you want, if you want to macro over B, T, and D.

Do we really need to have separate commands for d and k, now that squelching has been implemented?
    Destroying is not dropping. You often want to drop things without destroying them.

Do we really need to have separate commands for a and q and z and r and u and m and p and E and F and t and w?
    No, we don't need them, but if you know you want to quaff a potion, then you only want the potions to choose from to minimise the amount of time you spend looking for the right item on the screen.

You should be able to inscribe items with letters, so that they are always labeled with that letter, regardless of their inventory position. The inventory list would not be alphabetical, but that shouldn't matter.
    Do you come from another roguelike, by any chance?
    takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• Zero
      Apprentice
      • Jan 2008

[EDIT] I can think of enough reasons why you'd want to have d and k be separate to justify two different commands for that.

What I mean is, you'd never perform 'c' on a tile that could have 'j' performed on it, and vice versa. Same with f and v: if you can shoot an arrow with the bow you're using, you're not going to want to throw one.

Stairs and items cannot be on the same tile, unless you've changed something.

Do you come from another roguelike, by any chance?
      I've never played Nethack, but I've heard it uses a different inventory system where items keep the same letter in your inventory, regardless of what else gets shuffled around. There's a lot of things about Nethack I don't like, but that sounds like a good idea.
      Last edited by Zero; January 9, 2008, 19:45.

Comment

• zaimoni
        Knight
        • Apr 2007

You should be able to inscribe items with letters, so that they are always labeled with that letter, regardless of their inventory position.
        The current inscription system works perfectly well when used, if a bit more verbose. The 0-9 digit range might not be enough if inventory wasn't locked down to 23 slots, but I don't see a compelling need to make it easier for greedy players to die by slowness.
        Zaiband: end the "I shouldn't have survived that" experience. V3.0.6 fork on Hg.
        Zaiband 3.0.10 ETA Mar. 7 2011 (Yes, schedule slipped. Latest testing indicates not enough assert() calls to allow release.)
        Z.C++: pre-alpha C/C++ compiler system (usable preprocessor). Also on Hg. Z.C++ 0.0.10 ETA December 31 2011

Comment

• Arendil
          Apprentice
          • Jun 2007

What I mean is, you'd never perform 'c' on a tile that could have 'j' performed on it, and vice versa.
          No. You can have two adjacent doors, let's say, one opened to close, and one closed to jam.

Same with f and v: if you can shoot an arrow with the bow you're using, you're not going to want to throw one.
          Again, not true. You can have a bow and arrows equipped, and also want to be able to throw a spear from backpack at the same time.

Comment

• Zero
            Apprentice
            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Arendil
            No. You can have two adjacent doors, let's say, one opened to close, and one closed to jam.
            "a tile"

Remember that c and j require a direction. easy_open makes it slightly easier to close an open door if there's only one adjacent, but how often do you close doors?

Again, not true. You can have a bow and arrows equipped, and also want to be able to throw a spear from backpack at the same time.
            f and v require you to select an item from your inventory. If the item can be fired with your missile weapon, you fire it. If it can't, you throw it.

Comment

• gglibertine
              Adept
              • Dec 2007

"a tile"
              Remember that c and j require a direction. easy_open makes it slightly easier to close an open door if there's only one adjacent, but how often do you close doors?
              All the time, to keep non-sentients from following me when I need a moment to recover HP and mana. Jamming a door is not the same thing; I almost never jam doors. I wouldn't like it if the command were the same, because I might accidentally jam a door I didn't have the resources (strength/scroll/spell) to unjam.

Don't assume everyone plays the same way you do. Personally, I prefer to have discrete commands for specific actions; it means I always know exactly what I'm doing. Using the same command for multiple actions would be confusing and lead to potentially fatal mistakes.

Comment

• zaimoni
                Knight
                • Apr 2007

"a tile"

Before Hounds start showing up, closing doors habitually is my preferred method of preventing death by unexpected lice (and other multipliers). After then, not so much. (Hounds both have extreme telepathic range on the player and bash down doors efficiently.)
                Zaiband: end the "I shouldn't have survived that" experience. V3.0.6 fork on Hg.
                Zaiband 3.0.10 ETA Mar. 7 2011 (Yes, schedule slipped. Latest testing indicates not enough assert() calls to allow release.)
                Z.C++: pre-alpha C/C++ compiler system (usable preprocessor). Also on Hg. Z.C++ 0.0.10 ETA December 31 2011

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎