X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Knight
    Scout
    • Oct 2011

@Derakon: Ah, thanks.

@debo: Yeah, I definitely agree that the high-elf rogue is pretty easy to play, even for a newb like me. :P

@will_asher: Yeah, I'm pretty much spamming the detection spell.

Could somebody please explain how macros work? Is it linking a key to an action so you can do it quickly? I have a feeling that that would be very useful in terms of spellcasting.

Comment

• Djabanete
      Knight
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Knight
      Hmm, after reading the article Djabanete provided and hearing some other stuff from around the forum, I think mages are still a bit too advanced for me. However, I still want a magic-wielding character, so I created a high-elf rogue and I'm pretty happy with the combination of magical arsenal and weapons he's got. Leveled him up to clvl 28 (that means 'character level', no?), perhaps I'll post a progress report in the AAR forum and upload him to the ladder.
      I'm sorry, I didn't mean to discourage you

Gnome Mages and High-Elf Mages are quite approachable --- what you want to do is start with 18/50 intelligence. Magic Missile kills just about everything. The main thing that takes diligence --- and it's not a question of super expert skills --- is remembering always to use Detect Monsters to scope out the danger and Phase Door to make sure nothing ever touches you. Mages with 18/50 can cruise along quite comfortably using 7 spells --- Magic Missile, Detect Monsters, Detect Traps, Light Area, Phase Door, Teleport Self, and Identify. All you have to do is this:

Shoot the bad guys until you have to bail out. Bail out. Rest and come back. Shoot more. Repeat until there are no more bad guys. Long before you are deep enough for this process to stop working, you will have a good grasp of the basics

That said, best of luck with the Rogue --- all classes are very enjoyable

Originally posted by Knight
      @Derakon: Ah, thanks.

@debo: Yeah, I definitely agree that the high-elf rogue is pretty easy to play, even for a newb like me. :P

@will_asher: Yeah, I'm pretty much spamming the detection spell.

Could somebody please explain how macros work? Is it linking a key to an action so you can do it quickly? I have a feeling that that would be very useful in terms of spellcasting.
      Yup, exactly.

(A) Go to "=" menu.
      (B) Choose "interact with macros" (or something).
      (C) Choose "new macro".
      (D) Enter the keystroke that will become a shortcut. Choose a key you don't already use.
      (E) Enter the sequence of keystrokes you're currently using.
      (F) Press $ to terminate the sequence.
      (G) Save it. You're done!

I usually set TAB to rest fully, 1 to "shoot nearest monster", 2 to "detect evil/monsters", 3 to "detect traps/doors", 4 to "light area". Here is an example.

For "Magic Missile nearest bad dude", set the key of your choice to: " maa*t " without the quotes. Now suppose the book moves around in your inventory. Inscribe your book ( "{" ) with "@m1" (without the quotes). That inscription means "for the purpose of macros, this item is always "1" when using the "m" command, that is, casting spells." So with that inscription and the macro "m1a*t", you can spend the whole game turning the nearest orc into a smoking crater with just a single keypress.

Edit: When playing a mage I usually set 7 to "Identify" or sometimes "Identify what's on the floor at my feet." The numbering is idiosyncratic because this whole system is a relic of the ad-hoc system I used for my first ever winner and the muscle memory is built in now! I had things set to 5, 6, and 8, but most of my characters aren't good enough to have Resistance, Haste and Magic Shield.
      Last edited by Djabanete; November 24, 2011, 01:04.

Comment

• Knight
        Scout
        • Oct 2011

That's fine, it's probably for the best anyhow. I'll enjoy them more when I'm not dying every other turn.

Aha, thanks very much for the information on the macros, that will really come in handy!

Haha, on the clvl 33 rogue I started yesterday, I have everything you mentioned but magic shield, and I'll get that the next clvl.

Comment

• Chud
          Swordsman
          • Jun 2010

How difficult would it be to play a "voluntary challenge mage" - stick to the traditional restrictions on magic-users from old-school D&D: no metal armor (or robes only, if one wanted to really be challenged), and you can only wield daggers. Is there enough usable equipment with those restrictions to still be doable?

Comment

• Derakon
            Prophet
            • Dec 2009

Can you use shields? Helms? Gauntlets? Boots? A bow?

PowerDiver's won with an ego-less mage, and this would be easier, so yes, you'd be able to win...but you might have to be tediously cautious to avoid death depending on how stringent your restrictions are. The big stuff you need to cover are speed, CON, FA/SI, and the basic 4 resistances; after that, get as much INT as possible (for killing general enemies) and load up on Annihilation wands (for killing Sauron and Morgoth).

Comment

• Chud
              Swordsman
              • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Derakon
              Can you use shields? Helms? Gauntlets? Boots? A bow?
              I'd say bows yes, shields/helms/gauntlets/boots of leather (and wicker shields) but not metal. :-)

Comment

• buzzkill
                Prophet
                • May 2008

Originally posted by Chud
                I'd say bows yes, shields/helms/gauntlets/boots of leather (and wicker shields) but not metal. :-)
                I'd take issue with the bow. Back in my AD&D days, I don't recall every character carrying a bow. Though not specifically prohibited (I think), I don't recall mages normally having one.
                www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
                My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Derakon
                  Prophet
                  • Dec 2009

I know in D&D 3e mages can use hand crossbows as a way to give them something to do when they aren't actively casting spells, which is often. You generally don't want a character that alternates between "amazingly useful" and "twiddling his thumbs" because that means the player controlling him/her will be bored half the time.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎