X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zero
    Apprentice
    • Jan 2008

Borderholes

I can't think of any better word to describe it. Right now, there is a ring of permanent rock surrounding every level, and if you want to go to another one, you either increase or decrease your depth or recall to town and then recall back down (or Alter Reality, but that's kind of a special case). Frequently though, I find myself just wanting to hover at the same depth, and don't really have any need to go back to town. It would be more efficient in these situations to have a way to create a new level at the same depth without having to go to some other depth first, and then go back.

So why not have openings to a "maze of horizontal passages" at certain points in the border? A "borderhole," if you will.
  • takkaria
    Veteran
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Zero
    I can't think of any better word to describe it. Right now, there is a ring of permanent rock surrounding every level, and if you want to go to another one, you either increase or decrease your depth or recall to town and then recall back down (or Alter Reality, but that's kind of a special case). Frequently though, I find myself just wanting to hover at the same depth, and don't really have any need to go back to town. It would be more efficient in these situations to have a way to create a new level at the same depth without having to go to some other depth first, and then go back.

So why not have openings to a "maze of horizontal passages" at certain points in the border? A "borderhole," if you will.
    Nah. Dive instead.
    takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• Djabanete
      Knight
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by takkaria
      Nah. Dive instead.

QFT

Go down one level.

Comment

• Big Al
        Swordsman
        • Apr 2007

The largely-unheard-of roguelike 'Mission: Thunderbolt' a.k.a. 'JauntTrooper' had twisty little passageways that led off of the main square of permanent rock which lead to 'warrens' - extra difficult levels with a themed set of hard monsters but good rewards. Probably not appropriate for vanilla, but perhaps a good idea for variant someday.
        Come play Metroplexity!
        Un, V MX H- D c-- f- PV s- d+ P++ M+
        c-- S I++ So+ B+ ac- !GHB SQ RQ+ V+

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞