X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thorpy
    Rookie
    • Jan 2010

Removing curses....

I might be asking a silly question here, and I might be thinking in terms of things that relate to older versions. currently on 3.3.2.
    Anyway, I was under a spell of "not concentrating" or was it a spell of "playing rashly", I forget which. I wielded a magical weapon on one of the first couple of levels to speed me along, and it turned out to be cursed. Scrolls of remove curse don't seem to want to break the curse, i've used somewhere around 16 or so of them. I seem to remember that plussing the item beyond zero had a chance to break the curse, and spells of remove curse are chance related...or is that something I read years ago that no longer applies. When 'I'dentifying the scroll, it just says removes normal curses.
    I also seem to recall that the breaking of curses is related to WISdom, which is currently only 9 on this character.

Basically is it a bug or do I persist until I rectify my silliness, which would at least add interest?
  • Derakon
    Prophet
    • Dec 2009

Scrolls of Remove Curse will remove normal curses, but not heavy curses (which are, as you might expect, noted as the item being "heavily cursed"). You're only likely to get heavy curses from weapons of Morgul these days.

Any time you use an enchantment scroll on the item, you have a chance to remove the curse even if the enchantment fails.

Comment

• Thorpy
      Rookie
      • Jan 2010

I've attached the file....from here I have bought all the remove curse from the store, used them and got no uncursing. I'll persist trying to uncurse via plussing.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Storm-Sky
        Scout
        • Sep 2011

On my last playthrough there is scroll of remove curse, then there is scroll of *Remove curse* a stronger form of that but is kind of rare, and i've only seen it deep in the dungeon and not in stores, black market might carry it though.
        My Ladder:
        http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-browse.php?e=Storm-Sky

Comment

• PowerWyrm
          Prophet
          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Thorpy
          I might be asking a silly question here, and I might be thinking in terms of things that relate to older versions. currently on 3.3.2.
          Anyway, I was under a spell of "not concentrating" or was it a spell of "playing rashly", I forget which. I wielded a magical weapon on one of the first couple of levels to speed me along, and it turned out to be cursed. Scrolls of remove curse don't seem to want to break the curse, i've used somewhere around 16 or so of them. I seem to remember that plussing the item beyond zero had a chance to break the curse, and spells of remove curse are chance related...or is that something I read years ago that no longer applies. When 'I'dentifying the scroll, it just says removes normal curses.
          I also seem to recall that the breaking of curses is related to WISdom, which is currently only 9 on this character.

Basically is it a bug or do I persist until I rectify my silliness, which would at least add interest?
          Weapon of Morgul will get this behavior. Scrolls of Remove Curse won't work. You need either a scroll of *Remove Curse*, or simply enchant the tohit/todam high enough above 0 to break the curse.
          PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Thorpy
            Rookie
            • Jan 2010

This is no special curse...it was a bog standard one on a normal weapon with negatives to hit and dam. I got it from a really shallow depth, in single figures for sure, but I think on the first couple of levels. I eventually broke it with a +DAM or +to hit, I forget which. It was just that I expected for a basic weapon, a scroll of remove curse to work 100% first time. I tried about 16 (I think I bought 2 lots of 8), and they all were seemingly ignored. There was no "it failed" message, just that the curse didn't disappear. Same effect later happened with a staff of remove curse, but then I almost immediately found the scroll to plus it, and that broke the curse. The save file is above if anyone wants to have a look. I raised it in case it's a bug. Otherwise I'm happy that i've got passed/round the issue.
            Last edited by Thorpy; November 15, 2011, 08:41.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
              Prophet
              • Apr 2008

Using your savefile and (I)nspecting your Rapier (1d6) (-1, +0) {cursed} says that it is "Heavily cursed". Normal remove curse won't work. This is not a bug.
              PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Thorpy
                Rookie
                • Jan 2010

Ok...maybe I didn't do 'I' to check the level of curse then and assumed it wasn't heavy based on the inscription. As they say every day is a school day, thanks. I'm normally really careful with all items testing very little and identifying almost all things.

Currently at clevel 27 hanging at dungeon level 30, with boots of speed and spare pair , and also a rod of speed. I fight at +20
                My resistances are lacking though and stats need building before I get to the nasty stuff. I've got spell book 5 though. I've played this game for years without ever winning. I can quite regularly get to character levels in the 40's and dungeon levels in the 60's before lack of diligent checking before moving, or pushing it a little too far does for me. Somebody said elsewhere that this is what Angband does, lures you in by making it easy when you get decent gear, then sneaks hard stuff on you when you're complacent. Too right - it's had me like that for 15 years.

Comment

• grumbleguts
                  Scout
                  • Oct 2010

Haha, I just spent ages trying to remove a teleport curse so I could remove the damned ring. Turns out you could remove the ring anyway. All this time I thought cursed items had to be removed with a scroll/staff/rod of remove curse.

I have three winner characters and I have never thought to just remove/drop a cursed item.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎