X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gglibertine
    Adept
    • Dec 2007

Que es mas macho?

I'm curious... what do the universal you think of a Helm of Seeing vs. a Helm of Telepathy? Telepathy definitely has its value, but despite what the spoiler files say, I'm not so sure I think it's better than Seeing, with its See Invisible and Resist Blindness.

I've been wearing Telepathy but I'm swapping it back out with Seeing, just to see how the next couple of levels go. I'll have to be more vigilant with Detect Monsters, but I'm betting I'll be happier with Seeing in the long run.

Thoughts?
  • pav
    Administrator
    • Apr 2007

See Invisible is easy to get from another source, and you can live with occasional blindness. I'd say the Telepathy helmet is a keeper.
    See the elves and everything! http://angband.oook.cz

Comment

• Djabanete
      Knight
      • Apr 2007

Telepathy is practically a substitute for both RBlind and SI, so I'd probably choose that. If you stick with the Telepathy, watch out for Q's.

Comment

• aeneas
        Adept
        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Djabanete

Telepathy is practically a substitute for both RBlind and SI, so I'd probably choose that. If you stick with the Telepathy, watch out for Q's.
        Maybe. I asked before, but.. it's not possible to answer that without knowing your class, at least.. for a warrior, ESP is vastly better than RBlind (SI is generally available somewhere else), as it allows him to see most things even when blinded. For a pure spellcaster it might be a tossup, or a loss- it is really nice to have a "lock"- rConf and rBlind- particularly once you have 0% fail on the important spells. In other words, Angband is complicated enough that there is no answer to that question, but in general Telepathy is better.

Comment

• gglibertine
          Adept
          • Dec 2007

I'm playing a rogue. Some experimentation proved that Seeing was a bit more handy; I really do use my spellbooks constantly, and I don't like to fill up my inventory with redundant stuff that might slow me down. (I was having to carry multiple staves of curing because they kept getting burned up.) As long as I was vigilant with Detect Monsters, it worked out just fine.

Then I found The Metal Cap of Thengel and the Star of Elendil, thus obviating the entire issue. I'm pretty sure this is the most successful character I've had so far -- I've never found so many artifacts before. (On the other hand, I'm into the cheating now, because I got killed by Gorlim, Betrayer of Barahir in a moment of inattention, and had to resort to my copied savefile. Oh, the embarrassment!)

Comment

• Djabanete
            Knight
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by gglibertine
            ...I got killed by Gorlim, Betrayer of Barahir in a moment of inattention, and had to resort to my copied savefile. Oh, the embarrassment!)
            Gorlim really is nasty. Best to avoid him until you feel 150% confident that you can take him on ^ ^

Better luck next time!

Comment

• Elsairon
              Adept
              • Apr 2007

...and had to resort to my copied savefile...
              Heretic!!!!

Comment

• gglibertine
                Adept
                • Dec 2007

Oh, I know, I know. But someone as incompetent as I am will never win the game without resorting to at least one method of cheating. I've been playing for 13 years and I've yet to get anywhere *near* a win.

Comment

• nobody
                  Apprentice
                  • Jul 2007

i've been playing longer then that and i've never come close to winning, but i think i'm getting better by playing without cheating. death is a harsh teacher, but without it over your shoulder at every second, it's not the same pressure. pressure makes a diamond

Comment

• strangeintp
                    Rookie
                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by nobody
                    i've been playing longer then that and i've never come close to winning, but i think i'm getting better by playing without cheating. death is a harsh teacher, but without it over your shoulder at every second, it's not the same pressure. pressure makes a diamond
                    I have to agree with that whole-heartedly. When I first started playing Moria as a kid 15+ years ago, I discovered the savefile cheat pretty early on... Only ever made it to level 50 once, and was immediately blasted by the Balrog.

Playing w/o cheating in Angband, I've definitely started to play a lot better tactically and strategically than I ever did in Moria. I've also noticed that with each new character I start, progress through the same experience levels goes more quickly.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                      Prophet
                      • Apr 2007

I'm curious... what do the universal you think of a Helm of Seeing vs. a Helm of Telepathy? Telepathy definitely has its value, but despite what the spoiler files say, I'm not so sure I think it's better than Seeing, with its See Invisible and Resist Blindness.

I've been wearing Telepathy but I'm swapping it back out with Seeing, just to see how the next couple of levels go. I'll have to be more vigilant with Detect Monsters, but I'm betting I'll be happier with Seeing in the long run.

Thoughts?
                      There is almost nothing dangerous that you can see with SI that you can't see with ESP. (Basically Q; for everything else a little infravision is enough.) You can carry seeing as a swap if you are concerned, but the ESP is much, much better.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎