X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • debo
    Veteran
    • Oct 2011

Originally posted by buzzkill
    I glad I got in before the process got complicated. I could see myself taking a guess or two and then saying "screw it" and moving on. Although I read the books (back in the day) and more recently have seen the movies, and am familiar with the portion of the story being referenced, I have no recollection of, and would never guess "mellon" regardless of what the question is.
    That pretty much just happened to me. To be honest, I don't give a rat's ass about Tolkein anymore, and I read the books umpteen years ago. When I wrote 'friend' a few times and was still denied, I figured that either the riddle was harder than I thought, or the board had gone rogue and no adminstrator was babysitting anymore. Finally, I just thought a bit more about it, and managed to get the answer.

Sorry guys, as a new member who is harshly addicted to Angband, I think that registration question is incredibly stupid.
    Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• Jazerus
      Apprentice
      • Jun 2011

I thought it was a bit unconventional, but more or less acceptable. Someone might want to tune it to accept both 'mellon' and 'friend' though.

Comment

• debo
        Veteran
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Jazerus
        I thought it was a bit unconventional, but more or less acceptable. Someone might want to tune it to accept both 'mellon' and 'friend' though.
        That would be awesome.
        Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• fizzix
          Prophet
          • Aug 2009

I didn't know about the registration question. I'd vote for removing it or replacing it with some standard captcha.

Another option is to give more people access to remove posts. There are a bunch of us who visit several times a day, and we can manually remove spam messages.

Comment

• pav
            Administrator
            • Apr 2007

I have added alternative answer in plain English.

As for moderators - as of recently things are quiet on the spamming front. If things get busy during my offline hours, I will happily recruit help from overseas.
            See the elves and everything! http://angband.oook.cz

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
              Prophet
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by pav
              I have added alternative answer in plain English.

As for moderators - as of recently things are quiet on the spamming front. If things get busy during my offline hours, I will happily recruit help from overseas.
              I don't know how you keep the spammers off the forum, but I haven't seen any spam here. Spambot smart enough to figure out right answer to that question should be able to post as well.

Anyway, good job keeping forum clean.

Comment

• pav
                Administrator
                • Apr 2007

I've been promptly deleting everything they posted and banning them, and then suddenly they quit trying.

I think spammers are way more organized than any of us likes to admit.
                See the elves and everything! http://angband.oook.cz

Comment

• Derakon
                  Prophet
                  • Dec 2009

The effort is greatly appreciated. Thanks for keeping the boards clean, Pav.

Comment

• sethos
                    Apprentice
                    • Oct 2011

Yeah, The password took me a google search and Realizing which word meant friend. A bit frustrating, but 2-3 minutes and 5-6 attempts made it all work out.
                    Sorry, Haven't watched LOTR for years now (Please don't crucify me!)
                    You should save my signature. It might be worth something someday.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                      Prophet
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by sethos
                      Yeah, The password took me a google search and Realizing which word meant friend. A bit frustrating, but 2-3 minutes and 5-6 attempts made it all work out.
                      Sorry, Haven't watched LOTR for years now (Please don't crucify me!)
                      Read the book. It is way better than the movie (though movie wasn't bad). Kind of slow starting, but once things get happening you are hooked.

I think I was 10 when I first read those books. Took me three days. I lost count how many times I have read it since. It seems every time I read it I find something new that I missed previous umpteen times. I can almost remember every poem/song that is in the book (translated in Finnish).

Comment

• sethos
                        Apprentice
                        • Oct 2011

Okay, I've been meaning to do that for a long time now anyways.
                        Rather than trust the 70 year old librarian Gamer lady at my local branch, Who here can tell me the order to pick up the books - I'll read em all.
                        I Bet I get the answer in 5 minutes flat

Comment

• Jungle_Boy
                          Swordsman
                          • Nov 2008

I recommend starting with The Hobbit myself.
                          My first winner: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10138

Comment

• Monkey Face
                            Adept
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by sethos
                            Okay, I've been meaning to do that for a long time now anyways.
                            Rather than trust the 70 year old librarian Gamer lady at my local branch, Who here can tell me the order to pick up the books - I'll read em all.
                            I Bet I get the answer in 5 minutes flat
                            A little bit more than 5 minutes...The Hobbit is a good read first (although you can get the important points from the LOTR introduction). The main 3 are Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King. After them you can try The Silmarilion which is a much tougher read but has a bunch of the uniques in Angband.

Comment

• sethos
                              Apprentice
                              • Oct 2011

My Reading Levels good enough to tackle anything I've come up against. so far, that is. and I recall reading the Hobbit as a child - But I think I'll start there anyway. Library before work tomorrow then.

I'd imagine there are several others out there who just might be ready for a re-read as well. Anyone else Going to pick them up (you know you want to!)

Comment

• bio_hazard
                                Knight
                                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Monkey Face
                                A little bit more than 5 minutes...The Hobbit is a good read first (although you can get the important points from the LOTR introduction). The main 3 are Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King. After them you can try The Silmarilion which is a much tougher read but has a bunch of the uniques in Angband.
                                Sil not only tells the story of many of the uniques, it also mentions Angband!

(but I agree, don't read it first)

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍