Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bio_hazard
    Knight
    • Dec 2008

While melee is less important to a mage, I disagree that that means that mages "don't care" about melee. Unless you play perfectly and never run out of mana, have your spell books burnt up, get blinded, or ever use a slay foo weapon instead of a spell to finish off a monster.

On a semi-related note, mage staffs could go in the launcher slot rather than the weapon slot...

Comment

• Derakon
      Prophet
      • Dec 2009

Forgive me for using absolutes instead of sprinkling "mostlies" throughout the text.

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
        Knight
        • May 2007

There might be more than one way to victory, but almost everybody hangs around Dlv99 hunting for end game gear anyway, so who's care if you have another option? You still have to have to get certain x, certain y, and everybody's going to get those at some point anyway. I have beaten the game numerous times and I find the same artifacts anyway, it's almost guarenteed, so who cares if I want to weild an artifact robe, and a mage staff, to battle Morgy? If i don't have that then I can pick several differnent types of artifact gear that is readibly availiable anyway, so it dosen't matter, you still have to skin the cat, even if you have another way to do it.

beating the game depends on player skill level, you can win wielding a shovel or wielding Ringil, or great Axe of Eonwe, but you still have to skin the cat.

It does not make the game easier just because you found 1 more item when there is already dozen's to choose from.

WHAT I AM SAYING IN SHORT IS IF I DON'T GET X THEN Y IS EASILY ABUNDANT THROUGHT THE GAME ANYWAY, SO WUPPED DEE-DOO, MAKES NOT A DIFFERENCE IN GAME DIFFICULTY.

Comment

• Zyphyr
          Adept
          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Malak Darkhunter
          It does not make the game easier just because you found 1 more item when there is already dozen's to choose from.

WHAT I AM SAYING IN SHORT IS IF I DON'T GET X THEN Y IS EASILY ABUNDANT THROUGHT THE GAME ANYWAY, SO WUPPED DEE-DOO, MAKES NOT A DIFFERENCE IN GAME DIFFICULTY.
          I play my Mages as casters. For me, Melee and physical Ranged are rare backup situations after CLev 15 or so. If you put in items that improve my spell casting ability, I will be more powerful. I will be more effective. I will be more likely to win. The game will be easier.

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
            Knight
            • May 2007

Originally posted by Zyphyr
            I play my Mages as casters. For me, Melee and physical Ranged are rare backup situations after CLev 15 or so. If you put in items that improve my spell casting ability, I will be more powerful. I will be more effective. I will be more likely to win. The game will be easier.
            So don't make the items improve spell casting ability, I never proposed to do so, I wanted the items added for flavour purposes.

So tell me is FA easier because it has mage staffs?

Comment

• Derakon
              Prophet
              • Dec 2009

It does if those dozens don't do what you want, but the 1 does. Besides having lower AC, what is your artifact robe going to do differently from artifact plate armor? Besides dealing less damage, what is your artifact staff going to do differently from artifact longswords?

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
                Knight
                • May 2007

Originally posted by Derakon
                It does if those dozens don't do what you want, but the 1 does. Besides having lower AC, what is your artifact robe going to do differently from artifact plate armor? Besides dealing less damage, what is your artifact staff going to do differently from artifact longswords?
                Not anything differently, it was suggested for flavour purposes only to allow a caster to play outside the box.

Comment

• fizzix
                  Prophet
                  • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Zyphyr
                  Out of curiousity, do you find mages easier or harder than other classes? I tend to find them the hardest class, but I'm not sure that my opinion is shared with others.

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
                    Knight
                    • May 2007

Originally posted by fizzix
                    Out of curiousity, do you find mages easier or harder than other classes? I tend to find them the hardest class, but I'm not sure that my opinion is shared with others.
                    I find mages to be easier, but more tedious, that have the ability to phase door around and attack devestatingly from range, they are more versatile.

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
                      Knight
                      • May 2007

But I'm tired of trying to argue a case for it, some people like the idea, some people don't, it's up to the development team to incorporate what they think should be in the game.

Comment

• fizzix
                        Prophet
                        • Aug 2009

But I'm tired of trying to argue a case for it, some people like the idea, some people don't, it's up to the development team to incorporate what they think should be in the game.
                        Not entirely. If you want to see it in the game. Code it. Put it on github. Test play it. Then, report your results. Maybe convince other people to test play it (I would, for example). However, if you're not willing to do this, or do not know how and are unwilling to learn, then you are indeed dependent on someone else picking up your idea and running with it. In this case, the chances of inclusion go down quite a bit.

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
                          Knight
                          • May 2007

Originally posted by fizzix
                          Not entirely. If you want to see it in the game. Code it. Put it on github. Test play it. Then, report your results. Maybe convince other people to test play it (I would, for example). However, if you're not willing to do this, or do not know how and are unwilling to learn, then you are indeed dependent on someone else picking up your idea and running with it. In this case, the chances of inclusion go down quite a bit.
                          Actually.... I think it would be wiser and more satisfying, to just create my own variant.

Comment

• buzzkill
                            Prophet
                            • May 2008

It's a simple fact of logic that adding an item specifically because it has desirable properties will benifit the player and therefore make the game easier. Beyond that, I've played quite a bit of FA. I've played mages pre mage staff and also post mage staff. The addition of the mage staff (taken by itself, all other things being equal) definitely makes the games easier. Low level mages suddenly have nearly unlimited mana, and it remains useful well into the mid-game.

If all you want is flavor, then wield a quarterstaff or a broken stick and imagine it as being a magestaff. DaJ has a 'walking stick' weapon. I believe it's a 1d2 weapon with no other special properties. Would this be satisfactory?
                            Last edited by buzzkill; September 23, 2011, 11:03.
                            www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
                            My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• fizzix
                              Prophet
                              • Aug 2009

Actually.... I think it would be wiser and more satisfying, to just create my own variant.
                              well, they're actually the exact same thing!

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                                Prophet
                                • Apr 2007

That's an illusion. Every addition affects rarity of every item on the game. If you add something you need to address rarities of everything else or remove something from the game. Every addition that makes some decision easier makes game easier. Everything affects everything.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎