• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andros
    Rookie
    • Aug 2011

[3.3.0] Corrupted save files

Hey all,

I've been trying to find any info I can on the subject, and I've commented on one or two posts, but they were quite old so I'll post a new as well.

I recently started playing again and upgraded from 3.1.1 to 3.3.0. I ported a character over and, while a few oddities happened, it worked fine and I pushed him to dlvl 50. Nothing unusual happened, I hit "Save" then "Exit" from the menu, powered down and went to bed. The next day I was greeted with all my windows, including the main, showing the recent message log. Hitting any key caused a "broken savefile" message and exited Angband.

Frustrated but thinking maybe it was something to do with the char port, and disliking some of the cheating I'd done (cheat death a couple times), I started over. I quickly pushed the new guy to lvl 30, dlvl 25 and had what felt like an awesome character coming along. This time I was smart: I backed up my savefile every time I saved it, and frequently when going to town, and the folder was being backed up by Carbonite as well. Sat down tonight to play and, guess what, "broken savefile" in the same way. Any attempt to use an old file resulted in the exact same problem. I'm getting the feeling that it never successfully saved in the first place!

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, nothing funky going on that I'm aware of. My save for the un-cheated char is attached, if anyone can help. More, though, I'm quickly going to be forced to stop playing if I can't even save the game
    Attached Files
  • Andros
    Rookie
    • Aug 2011

Well. That was bizarre... I figured I'd try creating a new char, saving it after a few turns, and loading it to see what happened. Instead I discovered that I couldn't load a pref file successfully, and going to help said it couldn't find the 3.1.1 help files. I have no clue what happened, since this game doesn't involve installation, but somehow my game link was trying to open a merged version of the game. Incredibly weird! I moved 3.1.1 to a backup folder, deleted all the shortcuts and recreated them, and my save loaded! Whew!

That said, a char save editor would still be AWESOME to play around with! I've always loved generating mid-level characters to experiment with in games of this nature. Definitely make it toggle wizardmode though. My cheating is for my own use, not to post on ladders!

Comment

• dos350
      Knight
      • Sep 2010

id say u can make a char save editor easily and that u can probably do it in debug/wiz mode easily already

on other notes cheating is wrong!
      ~eek

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++

Comment

• buzzkill
        Prophet
        • May 2008

Originally posted by dos350
        on other notes cheating is wrong!
        It that sarcasm or irony? I always get those two confused, ~eeek.
        www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
        My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• dos350
          Knight
          • Sep 2010

sorry no cheating involved @ angband, it is a matter of honor,,
          ~eek

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++

Comment

• Zikke
            Veteran
            • Jun 2008

Players should play the game however they want to to make it fun for them, cheating or otherwise. I don't think they should post cheated characters on the ladder on these forums, but if they want to wizard mode or edit files or save-scum to enjoy the game, so be it.
            A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
            A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
            C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡