• Show
Clear All
  • Gockel
    Apprentice
    • Aug 2010

randart boredom

hi there,

once again, i have a question.

Gorthaew the Dwarf Paladin just succeeded in relieveing poor morgoth of his iron crown, thus becoming the king of the...village, with all its beggars, lepers and happy drunks singing his praise.
    But still, somehow he's unhappy. First of all he's not happy with himself:
    being a paladin seems terribly boring to him. How he'd have liked to be a mighty warrior, rushing into battle with a roar, exchanging mighty blows with morgoth, until finally, with his last bit of strength, he would've crushed morgoth against the dungeon wall and run him through with his mighty two-handed sword...

Or being a mage, showering morgoth with blistering mana storms and flaming meteorite swarms, tearing him apart with rifts and all that fancy stuff.

Even being a stupid priest, sitting comfortably on his rune of protection and enjoying his afternoon tea while morgoth is going bananas trying to put his hammer in Gorthaew's face... it suddenly doesn't seem so bad anymore.

But no, he' s a stupid palading, and his memories of the fight with morgy make him shudder with embarrassment.
    how he had searched for days for the longest possible weapon so he wouldn't have to get too close to morgoth.
    how after every little prod he had run away hiding behind the corner from morgoths wrath... and how morgoth in his boredom had finally gotten careless, putting his crown and hammer back on the hook next to his bedroom door, deciding that this miserable little @ isn't worth his attention and that it's time for a little afternoon nap.
    how (after quaffing several potions of heroism) Gorthaew had finally dared to sneak past the door, take morgie's work utensils off the hook and run up the dungeon as fast as he could (considering that he was bumping into walls that the stupid hammer seemed to erect in his way whenever he was not paying attention).
    No, Gorthaew is not happy.

eeh. okay, enough... well, not that this story has much to do with my game, apart from the fact that paladins seem to me like a pretty boring class.

still, the final fight actually was pretty interesting and pretty close:

of course i forgot to place my staves of destruction/speed out of sight, so they got discharged before i had any chance to use them. which left me with 2 scrolls of *destruction* (one of which i wasn't willing to use as i wanted to keep it as a last resort if i was about to be killed (now that i think of it, i could have used TL for that...stupid...). apart from that i had, 2 scrolls of banishment, 4 of mass banishment, about 10 potions of *healing*, 3 of healing and 3-5 of life which seemed easily enough to me. but surprisingly enough, i *just* made it to kill morgoth, having used ALL my potions of life/healing/*healing*, and all of my devices of monster disposal except for one scroll of *destruction* (which i used one turn after morgoth's death as i was surrounded by balrogs with only ~300 hp and ~10 mana points left).

but apart from the final fight the game was really boring
    especially the dungeon books seem to be pretty much useless being deprived of most interesting spells... and considering fighting, a warrior is clearly more fun...

anyway, now that i've written enough crap to be completely sure that no one will read this far, i guess it's safe to ask my question without having to worry about anyone answering:

do randart artifacts really correspond to standarts in power level? and are there really not more randart artifacts than standarts? (ah, actually i'm still talking about 3.2, didn't change to 3.3 yet...)

i played 2 games of randarts now, in the first one i died around lvl60-70 by an unresisted drolem breath, still carrying a main gauche of frost(!) and having no important resists covered but the basic four...

but in the second game i got completely showered with artifacts, which made the game terribly boring... ok i still don't have all resists covered but without doubt it would easily have been possible if only i had kept being interested in perfectionizing my gear.
    i found 65 (!) artifacts, among them one armor with 11 resistances/+3 constitution/wisdom/speed (because of which i had to discard an armor with *only* 9 (?) resistances). i had the basic four covered four times. i had no problems maximizing all important stats so far that i could even take some stat-reducing-attacks without any change.

probably it's only luck, but should something like this really happen? if power ratings are related to standarts, should there really be armors with 11 resistances (+speed/con bonus)? and should i really be able to find so many artifacts? it somehow kills the thrill of finding one...

edit: i hereby congratulate myself on another well-structured and easy-to-read post... good night.
    onemoreedit: link to the dump: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=11665
    dumped shortly before fighting morgoth, so you can still see the "original" resistances, without the additions of the stupid sticky crown...
    Last edited by Gockel; August 6, 2011, 04:36.
  • Derakon
    Prophet
    • Dec 2009

Randarts really do correspond to standarts in terms of power level. However, there's two factors that can heavily affect randart games. The first, which you encountered in your first game, is that their allocation isn't as steady as the allocation for standarts. The standart set is designed to smoothly transition from ego weapons to artifact weapons, starting around 1500' or so (or earlier if you find a 'thanc). But that's just not the case for randarts. I've played several games where remotely worthwhile randart weapons just haven't shown up until well past 2500'. That's a long time to be trucking along with a low-level ego weapon.

The second factor is that randart power ratings, while based on standart power ratings, are allowed a fair amount of variance, such that the randart based on a given standart may be noticeably more or less powerful. Of course it's hard to tell what a given randart is based on (in 3.2, anyway; I think 3.3 tells you in the item description?), so it's possible you just found the reincarnated Ringil or something.

Comment

• buzzkill
      Prophet
      • May 2008

Originally posted by Gockel
      ...and how morgoth in his boredom had finally gotten careless, putting his crown and hammer back on the hook next to his bedroom door, deciding that this miserable little @ isn't worth his attention and that it's time for a little afternoon nap.

How (after quaffing several potions of heroism) Gorthaew had finally dared to sneak past the door, take Morgie's work utensils off the hook and run up the dungeon as fast as he could...

No, Gorthaew is not happy.
      Good stuff.
      www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
      My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍