X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Monkey Face
    Adept
    • Feb 2009

3.3.0 Question

I've started playing 3.3.0 and I've noticed that group monsters such as jackals and cave spiders no longer follow me into the hall like they did in earlier versions. I tried setting "monsters chase recent locations" both to yes and no and neither helped. Any ideas?
  • Derakon
    Prophet
    • Dec 2009

The option you want is "Monsters act smarter in groups". You're encountering the pack AI, which will try to stay a minimal distance away from you unless it can surround you (for certain values of "surround"). It was in 3.2, and I'm pretty sure it was in 3.1.2 too...

Comment

• Zikke
      Veteran
      • Jun 2008

On some occasions, the pack AI is useful by allowing you to rest up and pick them off from a doorway with a ranged weapon or spell. But most of the time it just makes them harder.
      A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
      A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
      C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
        Prophet
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Derakon
        The option you want is "Monsters act smarter in groups". You're encountering the pack AI, which will try to stay a minimal distance away from you unless it can surround you (for certain values of "surround"). It was in 3.2, and I'm pretty sure it was in 3.1.2 too...
        It seems to be that you can draw pack monsters to attack you if you do this:

#####
        #xxx#
        #x@x#
        #xx####
        #######

Dig out the 'x'. For mage that encounters pack and does know the stone to mud, that might be faster than backing up in a room. It might also be safer, if the hounds are something you don't want to deal many at any single time (cast one stone to mud, step out of LoS, cast another and dig yourself a short zig-zag corridor. Boost, dig out remaining walls to draw the hounds to attack).

Comment

• Monkey Face
          Adept
          • Feb 2009

Thanks. It looks like turning off monsters act smarter in groups worked.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎