• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zikke
    Veteran
    • Jun 2008

% Explored

Just a quick idea:

Perhaps we could add a % Explored or just a "12%" somewhere on the screen, to show how much of the current level has been illuminated? I don't think we need to add any incentive to fully explore a level, but those people who love fully exploring levels would get a kick of out this. Not sure how hard it would be for the game to determine the % explored, though...
    A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
    A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
    C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:
  • Dughfo
    Rookie
    • Jun 2011

Being an avid level clearer myself, I would certainly enjoy a feature like this, even without a reward.

Comment

• Netbrian
      Adept
      • Jun 2009

I'm not sold on this -- I think newer players might take the meter as an indication that they should clear levels.

Comment

• ehertlein
        Scout
        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Netbrian
        I'm not sold on this -- I think newer players might take the meter as an indication that they should clear levels.
        Dont turn it on by default then. Make it an option people can enable.

Comment

• Zikke
          Veteran
          • Jun 2008

A toggled option that defaults to Off is fine with me. I think it might be a fun addition for the level clearers out there, or for people who get that Superb level feeling (or whatever it is called now) and will never forgive themselves for not fully exploring the level.
          A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
          A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
          C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:

Comment

• UglySquirrell
            Swordsman
            • Jul 2011

I think as a birth option it would be fun. I've spent a lot of time on some superb/excellent levels after clearing them and finding nothing good. Scratching my head and going over every inch wondering, if I missed a dark corner or something.

Comment

• Napsterbater
              Adept
              • Jun 2009

No, I'm not making it an option. -- Takkaria
              This thread, it needs more rage. -- Napstopher Walken

Comment

• buzzkill
                Prophet
                • May 2008

I am by no means a level clearer, but I'd like a solid indication of progress as mentioned in this thread. I wouldn't seek out 100% or anything near it, but I might set goals such as no less than 10%, or at least 30% if the level feeling is interesting enough.

This probably sounds stupid, but at a certain point during most games (at any point past the early game) I find myself mindlessly diving because I have no real reason to explore any particular level, therefore I don't, and then I almost always end up in too deep. Sure there's the oft fruitless search for useful gear to fuel exploration, but the odds of finding such get get better with every down staircase so why not? If I could set an arbitrary % cleared, based on arbitrary feelings, it would be a goal of sorts.

Completely off topic but (I don't want to start a thread because the following 5 words convey the full extent of my thoughts on the subject)... anyone interested in fewer staircases? (take that Magnate ).
                Last edited by buzzkill; August 4, 2011, 13:00.
                www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
                My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Magnate
                  Angband Devteam member
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by buzzkill
                  ICompletely off topic but (I don't want to start a thread because the following 5 words convey the full extent of my thoughts on the subject)... anyone interested in less staircases?
                  No, but I would be interested in fewer staircases ... ;-)
                  "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• fizzix
                    Prophet
                    • Aug 2009

to OP. I suggested a similar thing. I think my delayed level feelings have made it into 3.3, if not they'll be in 3.4 for sure. The way it works is it sets 100 squares on the level and gives you an item feeling when you've seen some percentage of them (i think 15% works pretty well.) This could keep a rough estimate of the % cleared. However, very few people supported this idea.

To buzzkill. A long time ago I tried playing a game where there was only 1 down staircase per level. I also eliminated ?dd I made ?tl only go up. I also made trap doors suck you up to the previous level, becomes I'm that much of a glutton for punishment. It was fun, although I'm pretty sure some people would hate the 'search for stairs' game.

Comment

• UglySquirrell
                      Swordsman
                      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by fizzix
                      to OP. I suggested a similar thing. I think my delayed level feelings have made it into 3.3, if not they'll be in 3.4 for sure. The way it works is it sets 100 squares on the level and gives you an item feeling when you've seen some percentage of them (i think 15% works pretty well.) This could keep a rough estimate of the % cleared. However, very few people supported this idea.

To buzzkill. A long time ago I tried playing a game where there was only 1 down staircase per level. I also eliminated ?dd I made ?tl only go up. I also made trap doors suck you up to the previous level, becomes I'm that much of a glutton for punishment. It was fun, although I'm pretty sure some people would hate the 'search for stairs' game.
                      I love this idea ,the 100 tiles explored one. would make exploring mandatory. And you might be on a level with really ood. Monsters by the time you get the superb/dangerous message. The Stairs idea would be fun too but if you had no detection spells or items, frustrating.

Comment

• buzzkill
                        Prophet
                        • May 2008

Originally posted by fizzix
                        This could keep a rough estimate of the % cleared. However, very few people supported this idea.
                        Some players are very protective of scumming and the things that make scumming possible/profitable. The 'squares' concept, once implemented, could be used to eliminate/discourage all types of scumming. I get it from a player (who enjoys scumming or feel that it's necessary to prevent grinding) perspective. I don't understand why the dev team wouldn't like it. It's clearly an improvement over an arbitrary turn count, or any other idea that I've heard since I've been around here.

A long time ago I tried playing a game where there was only 1 down staircase per level. I also eliminated ?dd I made ?tl only go up.
                        I don't want to see anything that severe, just a tweak. If there are 10 staircases per level now, trim that down to 8 and see if anyone notices. If not, then trim it down further. My problem is that I usually find a (down) staircase far too quickly. Sure, I could just pass it by, but better stuff, as well as the end game, lies deeper. It wouldn't hurt anything if getting deep was just a little bit tougher. Right now, it seems the only thing holding @ back is self restraint.
                        www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
                        My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• fizzix
                          Prophet
                          • Aug 2009

I don't want to see anything that severe, just a tweak. If there are 10 staircases per level now, trim that down to 8 and see if anyone notices. If not, then trim it down further. My problem is that I usually find a (down) staircase far too quickly. Sure, I could just pass it by, but better stuff, as well as the end game, lies deeper. It wouldn't hurt anything if getting deep was just a little bit tougher. Right now, it seems the only thing holding @ back is self restraint.
                          There are only 3-4 down stair cases per level and 1-2 up staircases. There are less staircases for small levels, so some caverns or labyrinths may have only 1 of each.

Comment

• Derakon
                            Prophet
                            • Dec 2009

I would rather see diving discouraged through making the levels harder than through making it take longer to move deeper. The player should be able to quickly dive to the edge of their competence zone, IMO.

Comment

• Netbrian
                              Adept
                              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Derakon
                              I would rather see diving discouraged through making the levels harder than through making it take longer to move deeper. The player should be able to quickly dive to the edge of their competence zone, IMO.
                              I second this motion.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍