X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zikke
    Veteran
    • Jun 2008

[3.30] Invisible walls issue

I thought that I should make a separate thread for an issue.

Both permanent and granite walls are invisible for me in 3.30. I set the visuals to something different to see if it would fix it, but it did not. When I descend into the dungeon, the walls of the room I start in are visible but the walls are sometimes visible and sometimes not visible when I walk through a corridor (and yes, I'm wearing a light source ).

The buildings in the Town are invisible black spaces until I walk right up next to a wall.

I tried removing the pref-win file, which for some reason I remember trying that for a previous version, but it didn't fix the issue anyway. I am on Windows Vista 32-bit and using the standard tiles. I tried both full screen and regular size.

Any ideas?
    A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
    A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
    C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:
  • Magnate
    Angband Devteam member
    • May 2007

Originally posted by Zikke
    I thought that I should make a separate thread for an issue.

Both permanent and granite walls are invisible for me in 3.30. I set the visuals to something different to see if it would fix it, but it did not. When I descend into the dungeon, the walls of the room I start in are visible but the walls are sometimes visible and sometimes not visible when I walk through a corridor (and yes, I'm wearing a light source ).

The buildings in the Town are invisible black spaces until I walk right up next to a wall.

I tried removing the pref-win file, which for some reason I remember trying that for a previous version, but it didn't fix the issue anyway. I am on Windows Vista 32-bit and using the standard tiles. I tried both full screen and regular size.

Any ideas?
    Wow. I was all set to congratulate you on our first 3.3.0 bug report (esp. because I forgot to remind ppl to start new threads). But if this is a bug, it's somewhat embarrassing that we didn't spot it. I'm having trouble reproducing it on Linux though, so I'm hoping it's just a local issue ...

Can anyone else reproduce this? If so please state platform (and display module if applicable).
    "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• fizzix
      Prophet
      • Aug 2009

I don't see it on Windows XP. I tried both my own build and the packaged build from rephial. Walls look fine on both...

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
        Prophet
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by fizzix
        I don't see it on Windows XP. I tried both my own build and the packaged build from rephial. Walls look fine on both...
        AFAIK this is Win7 -problem, if there is a problem.

Comment

• ehertlein
          Scout
          • Aug 2007

I just started a game in Windows 7 from the build on rephial.org and I am not seeing this issue.

Comment

• Zikke
            Veteran
            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
            AFAIK this is Win7 -problem, if there is a problem.
            I am seeing the issues and I'm on Windows Vista. I remember this happened in the previous version, and only me and a couple other people had the issue. I remember Nick posting some file that I copied into one of the game folders and it started to work... but that was a while ago.

I'll try it on another Vista computer I have here and see if that computer sees the same issue...

Comment

• thapper
              Adept
              • Aug 2008

I've tried 3.3.0 on three windows machines. I have visible walls on windows XP SP3 and Windows 7 starter SP1.

However, the walls are not visible on my Windows Vista SP2 machine.

(on a side note I found a !Aug on dlvl3 on one machine but I wasn't going to continue that game...)

Comment

• Zikke
                Veteran
                • Jun 2008

Originally posted by thapper
                However, the walls are not visible on my Windows Vista SP2 machine.

I just tried it on my other Vista computer, and I had the same issue. Must be a Vista thing?

Comment

• thapper
                  Adept
                  • Aug 2008

A quick fix that works for me on Vista is to edit the font-win.prf file in the lib\pref folder

It originally looks like:

Code:
                  ### Terrain features ###

# Floors (white : centered dot)
                  F:1:all:1:7

# Magma (slate : solid block)
                  F:50:all:2:127

# Quartz (light slate : solid block)
                  F:51:all:9:127

# Granite walls (white : solid block)
                  F:56:all:1:127

# Permanent rock (dark red : solid block)
                  F:60:all:4:127
                  Change all "127" to "1" for solid blocks or "35" for "#" signs.

Comment

• Nomad
                    Knight
                    • Sep 2010

Here's the previous thread about this issue. It does seem to be Vista-specific; I've got no problems on Windows 7 64-bit.

Comment

• Zikke
                      Veteran
                      • Jun 2008

Thank you so much! It worked! I knew it was something in that file, but who knows what I would have broken trying to screw around in there.

Comment

• Madoka
                        Apprentice
                        • Jul 2007

The walls are visible for me on Win 7 SP1. I changed the granite symbol in 3.2 using the ~ command, and going to granite walls and changing the 'v'isuals. Now it only uses what I change it to for rooms but not for corridors. In 3.2, I only had to do one change; in 3.3 I see three symbols in the granite menu but don't know how to change the other ones.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                          Prophet
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Madoka
                          The walls are visible for me on Win 7 SP1. I changed the granite symbol in 3.2 using the ~ command, and going to granite walls and changing the 'v'isuals. Now it only uses what I change it to for rooms but not for corridors. In 3.2, I only had to do one change; in 3.3 I see three symbols in the granite menu but don't know how to change the other ones.
                          There is no in-game method of doing that. That is a lack of UI, it very much looks like "work in progress", because editing visuals and saving them are in two different places, and you can't edit all the features (like lite, dark etc) from UI.

You need to do that editing pref-files.

Comment

• thapper
                            Adept
                            • Aug 2008

Coming back to the XP machine today I notice that XP does not show solid blocks but "semisolid" with every second pixel being black. I like the semisolid better, it is easier on my eyes. Changing 127 to 2-6 does give some other "shades" but 127 (which Vista apparently does not understand) is the only semisolid character in the font.

Comment

• kaypy
                              Swordsman
                              • May 2009

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
                              There is no in-game method of doing that. That is a lack of UI, it very much looks like "work in progress", because editing visuals and saving them are in two different places, and you can't edit all the features (like lite, dark etc) from UI.
                              Actually, these days there is a keystroke to change which lighting you are editing. The UI still sucks- I put in a rather primitive prototype as a patch and meant to come back to it later, but my attention span gave out before it landed.

Also I am kind of stumped as to how to do a good UI for what is going on (within the limits of what is already there for the other knowledge menus...)

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎