X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Estie
    Veteran
    • Apr 2008

Ah much advanced since the last dump

Youre almost ready, i assume youre killing big uniques by now. Yes Colluin is great for the activation, Anarion cover sustains which you could do without now but which you definitely want for the endfight. Look for a better weapon and more speed. Blindness resist is a hole but not too bad; for the endfight use Palantir which covers that, or maybe even now, giving your playstyle it might well be that aggravation wont be much of a detriment.

Cheers

Comment

• Cashondeliveri
      Rookie
      • Jul 2011

I now have a ring of speed +8 and a ring of speed +9, but i've read somewhere that after while you get diminishing returns for speed and that there's not much point in getting more than 30. Does this still hold true?

Comment

• Estie
        Veteran
        • Apr 2008

Yes. (filling to 10 characters)

Comment

• Cashondeliveri
          Rookie
          • Jul 2011

Updated my dump:

I'm very happy with my character now, seems that there's very little that can hurt her (famous last words).

Colluin is a really awesome cloak. It makes a lot of fights really easy. The Tarrasque breathed on me and almost killed me so i had to teleport away and come back, this time with colluin activated. made it effortless to kill him.

Most exciting fight so far was the Emperor of the Q's. I've found that fighting Q's is quite doable as a warrior if one pays really close attention to what they summon and get the hell out of there if they summon something nasty like blink dogs, phase spiders or other summoners.

I always try to clear the rest of the level before fighting them to make teleport safer, that way i can always return after a teleport to clear out nasty summons before i engage the q again. The problem are monsters that stay in the same room as the Q, like when i fought the Emperor Q the first time. He summoned 7 other Qs and so i had to give up that time until i found him on another level. Second time i had him where i wanted him, right next to a wall, so i could dig my way right next to it. Had to make a tactical retreat when he summoned both Huan and Draugluin tho, but after i killed them i came back and finished him off.

I guess i'm close to getting ready for Sauron and Morgoth. You can look at my dump and see if there is anything missing for those fights. Someone mentioned i should get a better weapon first so i guess i'll search the bottom levels for one.

Comment

• Estie
            Veteran
            • Apr 2008

Go for it. 26 !*heal* is plenty, and >600 damage more than enough.

Comment

• Cashondeliveri
              Rookie
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Estie
              Go for it. 26 !*heal* is plenty, and >600 damage more than enough.
              I see. Well, since this is my first time playing (if you don't count playing to DL5 around 15 years ago) the game i'd really like to see what the game has to offer in terms of high-end items, i think i'll stay on the lower levels for a while yet. Also if i gear up a bit my odds should improve against Morgoth and it would be really cool to go all the way the first time.

Comment

• Estie
                Veteran
                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Cashondeliveri
                I see. Well, since this is my first time playing (if you don't count playing to DL5 around 15 years ago) the game i'd really like to see what the game has to offer in terms of high-end items, i think i'll stay on the lower levels for a while yet. Also if i gear up a bit my odds should improve against Morgoth and it would be really cool to go all the way the first time.
                Sure. Its awesome that you got that far on your first character and your gear certainly can still be upgraded. Have fun and dont die.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                  Prophet
                  • Apr 2007

Don't expect to get this high damage figures in 3.3, Hammerhand, Haradrim, Elessar have all lost (some of) their damage bonuses. 3.2 is maybe the easiest version of all angband versions. It gets harder to win in future and 15 years ago this was a lot harder than it is now, then getting to endgame was a achievement to be proud of.

Comment

• buzzkill
                    Prophet
                    • May 2008

Hey now, for a casual player reaching endgame (in a reasonable manner) is still something to take pride in, it's just not quite the accomplishment it was long ago.
                    www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
                    My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Madoka
                      Apprentice
                      • Jul 2007

Man, I think he's doing great. I've been playing Angband and variants on and off since about 1997, and I've never beaten the game. Hell, I don't remember being lower than DL45 before getting toasted. (Yes, I suck at the game.)

I've been following this thread since it started, and at that time I also had a Dunadan warrior about 5 levels higher than the OP when he first posted. Within 2 days he had passed me and is now deeper than I've ever been with equipment I've never seen, except in other people's dumps.

Good luck to ya mate!

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                        Prophet
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by buzzkill
                        Hey now, for a casual player reaching endgame (in a reasonable manner) is still something to take pride in, it's just not quite the accomplishment it was long ago.
                        Maybe I'm too old for this game, I don't see any challenge in it anymore. I find diving just stupid and boring way of getting yourself in unnecessary danger, and way too easy to get information what I'm against with with detection. Avoidance is too fail-proof, shops have too guaranteed items in them, dungeon has just either annoyingly hard to kill opponents or annoyingly easy to kill opponents. I have started to lose interest. Too many boringly similar items to cover everything I want whenever I want, too many monsters to kill, too little exciting stuff in dungeon to make journey interesting, too few refreshingly high reward/risk things, too few tactical decisions to make.

I find myself making suicides to my chars soon after stat-gain because at that point I know I will win the game unless I make some unlikely stupid mistake. There is nothing to find. Vaults are too rare and dungeon alone is just boring. I get items as list without bothering to search them, detailed monster list without actually seeing them, vaults that have no rewards or very little risk reward ratio.

Early game is still interesting.

Comment

• Cashondeliveri
                          Rookie
                          • Jul 2011

The game tells me i'm a WINNER! *fanfare*

Morgoth was definitely a lot tougher than anything else i've fought and took me down to about 250 hp several times, and one time to 127 hp. I was so nervous that i spent 5 seconds on every keypress to make sure i didn't make any mistakes. In the end though it seemed i had adequate protection and enough *Healing* potions. Banishment and mass banishment came in handy too when there was danger of getting hit by a big spell from one of his summons at the same time morgoth hit me with one.

Anyway. thanks to everyone who have answered my questions and given advice and helped me through. Lotsa love!

Comment

• d_m
                            Angband Devteam member
                            • Aug 2008

The game tells me i'm a WINNER! *fanfare*
                            Congratulations!
                            linux->xterm->screen->pmacs

Comment

• Estie
                              Veteran
                              • Apr 2008