X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazerus
    Apprentice
    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Cashondeliveri
    I'm still going deeper. At DL33 and still no real problems, but yeah, i'm cautious as i don't know what to expect and i'm nervous about running into a monster i can't handle.

And yes, the room had a checkerboard pattern.
    Don't go past 40 until you feel super-powerful in the 30s. DL39 isn't much more dangerous than DL30, but as soon as you step into the 40s you need to be quite powerful and ready to run from nasty uniques (especially Kavlax!). If you can handle 30 then you'll be safe throughout the 30s though.

Comment

• Derakon
      Prophet
      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Jazerus
      Don't go past 40 until you feel super-powerful in the 30s. DL39 isn't much more dangerous than DL30, but as soon as you step into the 40s you need to be quite powerful and ready to run from nasty uniques (especially Kavlax!). If you can handle 30 then you'll be safe throughout the 30s though.
      Bah. Dlvl 40 is not significantly more dangerous than dlvl 39. It's just a nice round number that peoples' brains like to latch onto.

That said, if you see Kavlax, get out. He's bloody dangerous.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
        Prophet
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Derakon
        Bah. Dlvl 40 is not significantly more dangerous than dlvl 39. It's just a nice round number that peoples' brains like to latch onto.

That said, if you see Kavlax, get out. He's bloody dangerous.
        fighting Kavlax is a bit like russian roulette. If he chooses to use his more dangerous attacks first, you are toast, if not he is easy kill. Odds are pretty same too.

Comment

• Cashondeliveri
          Rookie
          • Jul 2011

On DL37 now, still going well but i've run into some monsters that were more of a challenge, particularly monsters that were out of depth. My most difficult fight was against a draconic quylthygujumulg-something which summoned an ancient red dragon and an ancient bronze dragon and kept blinking away from me. Also, his brother the nexus quylthugamammagog is probably the most annoying monster ever.

On the subject of annoyances, i got my strength drained a couple of times and for the longest time i haven't found a restore strength either in the dungeon or in the shops. Nervous about drinking this potion of strength i have as i'm not sure it'll simply go to waste.

Don't know if you're interested in my little updates as to how i'm progressing, but i'm writing them anyhow.

Edit: adding a question: If i now squelch a warhammer that says it's magical, will i then automatically squelch all magical blunt weapons in the future, is this correct? (Also not quite sure i should squelch all magical weapons, but atm only excellent or special weapons seem interesting. Would i regret doing that at CL30, DL37?).
          Last edited by Cashondeliveri; July 31, 2011, 17:33.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
            Prophet
            • Apr 2007

On the subject of annoyances, i got my strength drained a couple of times and for the longest time i haven't found a restore strength either in the dungeon or in the shops. Nervous about drinking this potion of strength i have as i'm not sure it'll simply go to waste.
            Potions of stat first restore if there is something to restore, then increase. Not a waste especially if you don't have STR maxed yet.

Comment

• Derakon
              Prophet
              • Dec 2009

Also, potions of restore stat are gone, so it's stat-gain potions or mushrooms of Vigor, or nothing. Well, I suppose you could burn a potion of Life, but what a waste...

As for squelching, you should be prompted for what you want to squelch, which includes "just this item" as well as broader categories.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                Prophet
                • Apr 2007

Also, potions of restore stat are gone, so it's stat-gain potions or mushrooms of Vigor, or nothing. Well, I suppose you could burn a potion of Life, but what a waste...
                Augmentation and rods of restoration (I found one, didn't expect it to be still in game).

Augmentation isn't extremely rare deep in dungeon, thanks to cutoff of low-level potions very deep in dungeon. It is still rare, but way more common than vigor and does the same thing.

Comment

• Madoka
                  Apprentice
                  • Jul 2007

Angband just made a liar of me. So on DL32, I find my first mini-vault. It was a small chamber with a ton of traps completed encased in a granite wall in the middle of the level. Also on that level was a checkerboard room with some ego items and a troll pit. There was an out-of-level Ranger Chieftan elsewhere on the level who dropped a Scroll of Acquirement. Quite an eventful level.

Comment

• buzzkill
                    Prophet
                    • May 2008

Don't know if you're interested in my little updates as to how i'm progressing, but i'm writing them anyhow.
                    The preferred method of documenting your character is to make a character dump and then post it to the ladder (and then comment on it).

A character dump is accomplished by going to the character screen (C) and then pressing (f). This will create a text file which gets saved somewhere, angband/lib/user on windows systems. You can then go the the ladder tab, here at oook, and upload your dump.

IMO no amount of documentation is too much as long as you enjoy writing it. The more interesting you make it, the more who will probably read it. I've, on occasion, created a new thread to document the life of a character in a fit of overly verbose self indulgent adulation (when a ladder entry just wouldn't suffice).
                    www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
                    My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Derakon
                      Prophet
                      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by buzzkill
                      The preferred method of documenting your character is to make a character dump and then post it to the ladder (and then comment on it).
                      Ehh, nobody's going to flense him if he posts here; he'd be far from the first and the forums get much more traffic than the ladder does.

Comment

• Cashondeliveri
                        Rookie
                        • Jul 2011

As was suggested i've posted my character on the ladder:

Feel free to make any comment, remark on strange choices or give advice.

Also, one question; as i understand it, your class and your race affects the max attribute value. My character then, who is a dunadan warrior, should get +5 str from warrior and +1 str from dunadan, makiing his max str 18/160 (educate me if i'm wrong please). Can gear push the value even further than 18/160? Also, my con now says 18/*** and i don't know what that means.

Comment

• Nomad
                          Knight
                          • Sep 2010

Also, one question; as i understand it, your class and your race affects the max attribute value. My character then, who is a dunadan warrior, should get +5 str from warrior and +1 str from dunadan, makiing his max str 18/160 (educate me if i'm wrong please). Can gear push the value even further than 18/160? Also, my con now says 18/*** and i don't know what that means.
                          When you look at the stats on the dump or the C screen, you see this:

Code:
                                 Self  RB  CB  EB   Best
                          STR:  18/78  +1  +5  +2 18/158
                          INT:     15  +2  -2  +5  18/20
                          WIS:     16  +2  -2  +5  18/30
                          DEX:  18/27  +2  +2  +6 18/127
                          CON:  18/90  +3  +2  +9 18/***
                          CHR! 18/100  +2  -1  +0 18/110
                          'Self' is your base stat, before any bonuses are applied. Drinking stat potions will increase that value, but once you reach 18/100, it's "maxed" and further potions won't have any effect. Once a stat is maxed, it's marked with an ! like your charisma is there.

Added on top of that base stat, you get your racial bonus (RB) class bonus (CB) and any bonuses from the equipment that you're wearing (EB). The value called 'best' in that table is the total of all those added together, which is the one used by the game as your character's current STR/INT/WIS/whatever.

So yes, once your strength is maxed, your character's inherent STR stat will be 18/160, but any bonuses from your equipment will also be added on top of that to give you a higher effective strength.

The highest total you can get for any stat is (I think) 18/220. Once you reach that, it's shown as 18/***, and any extra stat boosts from your equipment don't do anything. So with your current CON, you've got a base stat of 18/90, race and class bonuses taking it up to 18/140, and then +9 CON from your equipment, which is enough to take you to 18/230, over the limit. (That means one of those CON points you're getting from your equipment is wasted; an equipment bonus of +8 would still be enough to get you to 18/***.)

Note, also, that your base CON isn't quite maxed yet, so if you drank another stat potion to take that up to 18/100, your effective stat would stay the same, but you would then only need an equipment bonus of +7 to stay at 18/***. (Just as an example, your bow gives you +2 CON, so once you've maxed your base CON, you could safely swap that out for a different bow with no CON bonus and still have a total CON of 18/***.)

So, to summarise this rambling, your base stat can be taken up to 18/100 by drinking potions; then your race and class bonuses are added; then any bonuses from the equipment you're wearing can increase the stat further up to a possible 18/220.
                          Last edited by Nomad; August 2, 2011, 17:35.

Comment

• Cashondeliveri
                            Rookie
                            • Jul 2011

Thanks for the great answer nomad! It explained everything.

It seems like to me that once gear gets good enough deeper in the dungeon (at least if the stat bonuses keeps increasing like they've done so far) that any class will end up with 18/220 in every stat, is that the case?

Comment

• Derakon
                              Prophet
                              • Dec 2009

No, because stat bonuses don't get high enough for you to manage that for every stat. Typically you'll get two or three stats high enough that boosting them further doesn't matter (which isn't always the same as getting to 18/***).

Of course, once you kill Morgoth, you get his crown which gives +125 to each stat...

Comment

• Max Stats
                                Swordsman
                                • Jun 2010

Of course, once you kill Morgoth, you get his crown which gives +125 to each stat...
                                Personally, I never put it on because I like the stats to reflect where the character was when he won the game. Not that there' s anything wrong with people who do, of course.
                                If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, then why are beholders so freaking ugly?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎