Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nolendil
    Adept
    • May 2007

Hello again and thanks for your comments.
    I've just updated my dump.

I've been down to dlvl 44 since last time. I was aiming for 45 to follow SSK's advice, but so far I keep having superb feelings every time I've been to dlvl 44 and found enough stuff worth selling or keeping at home that I didn't feel like dropping them to continue deeper.

I have 2 new artifacts: Pauraegen, Narthanc. I think I can sell both without remorse, right?

I also gained a few more stat points so my current max HP is 734 (much better than the 500-something I had not long ago).

No ego-DSM for me so far though

EDIT:
    I also finally managed to use Detection and Clairvoyance often to choose which monsters and items I'm ready to go for.
    This should drastically increase my life expectancy compared to how I played so far
    Last edited by Nolendil; May 31, 2011, 18:39.
    A(3.2.0) C "Angdiira II" DP L:36 DL:44(2200') A+ R+ Sp w:Whip of Westernesse(+10,+10)(+2)
    A Mx H- D c-- f- PV+ s- d P++ M+
    C- S-- I So B++ ac GHB- SQ+ RQ++ V+

Comment

• SSK
      Adept
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Nolendil
      Hello again and thanks for your comments.
      I've just updated my dump.

I've been down to dlvl 44 since last time. I was aiming for 45 to follow SSK's advice, but so far I keep having superb feelings every time I've been to dlvl 44 and found enough stuff worth selling or keeping at home that I didn't feel like dropping them to continue deeper.
      A serious reason to play Birth_no_selling next time (Look Derakon, I am a total convert!). You don't end up using your inventory to become a gear-trader. Even with Birth-no-selling on I have trouble when I get a bunch of real nice stuff I am not going to use but think I *might* later, then I have to go back and redo my home inventory.

I have 2 new artifacts: Pauraegen, Narthanc. I think I can sell both without remorse, right?
      Junk. Ditch or sell.

Comment

• Nolendil
        Adept
        • May 2007

Yes, "no selling" looks interesting now, more so that both the armor and weapon shops in my game have a gold limit of 5000 (just my luck).
        I sell at the black market or the temple to mitigate the loss of money when selling expensive ego equipment but I still miss quite a lot.
        I should try next time. And even with it I'm sure that I would face the same issue as you of having potentially useful stuff clogging my inventory

Ok, I'll sell the junk artifacts.
        I just can't help asking even for obviously useless artifacts.
        They still feel special to me and I used to keep as many of them as possible in ToME2 using all the space in all my houses.

Thanks again for your answer.
        A(3.2.0) C "Angdiira II" DP L:36 DL:44(2200') A+ R+ Sp w:Whip of Westernesse(+10,+10)(+2)

Comment

• Max Stats
          Swordsman
          • Jun 2010

I used to be a compulsive seller. I hauled up everything I could find, well past the point where I really needed to. I was frequently overburdened, and never kept anything in my inventory unless it was either worth a lot of money or obviously useful.

A few of the proponents of "no selling" said, "Look, just try it a few times, and go back if you don't like it. But I can practically guarantee you will like it." So I tried it, and to my surprise, I loved it! Now, I am burdened a lot less often, I can manage to keep marginally useful items to use "just in case" rather than leaving them behind, and I spend more time in the dungeon and less time in town.

One of my favorite things about it is how well it works with squelching. You start the game with unenchanted gear. A few levels down, you find an enchanted weapon or armor, so you destroy/ignore the unenchanted item that it replaced and select "ignore all average <whatever>". Later, you find an ego item and you do the same except you ignore all good <whatever>. Same goes for amulets/rings after you find something better, just squelch the one you took off if you don't see it ever being useful again. Oh, and right up front you can squelch all the spellbooks that don't apply to your character class.

That someone like me would try it and like it is a good argument for everyone to at least try it as well.
          If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, then why are beholders so freaking ugly?

Comment

• SSK
            Adept
            • Apr 2011

Ok, I'll sell the junk artifacts.
            I just can't help asking even for obviously useless artifacts.
            They still feel special to me and I used to keep as many of them as possible in ToME2 using all the space in all my houses.
            Yeah I totally feel the same way--I have brought this up before--I'd like to see something special at the town level called "Trophy room" where you can store unlimited artifacts. I really don't think it would mess up game balance. As an inducement (I know the maintainers want to push toward no-selling as the standard, ultimately without a "selling" option), they could offer the "trophy room" feature only in Birth_no_selling games.

Comment

• d_m
              Angband Devteam member
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SSK
              Yeah I totally feel the same way--I have brought this up before--I'd like to see something special at the town level called "Trophy room" where you can store unlimited artifacts. I really don't think it would mess up game balance. As an inducement (I know the maintainers want to push toward no-selling as the standard, ultimately without a "selling" option), they could offer the "trophy room" feature only in Birth_no_selling games.
              I don't think anyone objects to adding a Mathom house (to permanently donate items to). It's just that no one has done it.

Patches are certainly welcome.
              linux->xterm->screen->pmacs

Comment

• Zababa
                Apprentice
                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by d_m
                I don't think anyone objects to adding a Mathom house (to permanently donate items to). It's just that no one has done it.
                Mathom House is such a fitting name for it. I like it. With it we'd get more of the LOTR/Hobbit flavor into the game.

Comment

• Nolendil
                  Adept
                  • May 2007

Max Stats,
                  I'm seeing the benefits of "no selling".
                  Being less burdened and carrying moderately useful consumables longer can surely save your life once in a while.
                  The thing that worried me a bit though was that I ID by selling a lot during the early game (even if ID by use made this less useful), but yesterday I've watched tobias's Angband videos who plays with "no selling" and noticed that it's still allowed to sell stuff (even though you get no money from it).
                  So I'm quite convinced now, I just need to try it for my next game (which hopefully won't be too soon, I hope to get a bit farther with my current one ).

And yes, squelching works great and I already use it that way. The thing is I'm at a point where even when picking only ego items, they are common enough to encumber you quite fast.

Otherwise, having a Mathom House in V sounds good to me.
                  I hope I will muster enough courage to do more than download the source and let it rot in one corner of my harddrive someday
                  Last edited by Nolendil; June 2, 2011, 17:21.

Comment

• Zababa
                    Apprentice
                    • Sep 2009

Selling is the best ID ever. I sell everything I find under DL10. Later, I buy a staff of identification and use it on the more valuable looking items.

Comment

• Derakon
                      Prophet
                      • Dec 2009

I generally ID-by-use early potions now that there's no Weakness, Salt Water, etc. to worry about. Typically the only difficult ones to ID are Neutralize Poison (only if you're poisoned) and Boldness (only if you're scared) -- the rest, as long as you're injured when you try the potion, will sort themselves out. So if I have a potion with {tried} on it then I know it's probably one of those two.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                        Prophet
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Derakon
                        I generally ID-by-use early potions now that there's no Weakness, Salt Water, etc.
                        I just found salt water in my game, so that one is still there. Or perhaps added back.

It has a use, IIRC is cures poison and if you are planning for major fight drinking it and then eating food ration ensures that you are not too satiated to not be able to drink potions of healing without getting gorged.

Comment

• Derakon
                          Prophet
                          • Dec 2009

Hm, I don't remember the last time I saw salt water, but it does seem to still be in the game. Odd. I guess I've just not encountered it in its relatively narrow depth band (150' to 750'). And you're right, it does have its uses.

Comment

• Zababa
                            Apprentice
                            • Sep 2009

I have found salt water yesterday, so it did not occur to me that anything about it changed.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                              Prophet
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Derakon
                              Hm, I don't remember the last time I saw salt water, but it does seem to still be in the game. Odd. I guess I've just not encountered it in its relatively narrow depth band (150' to 750'). And you're right, it does have its uses.
                              In fact I don't recall seeing it at 3.2... checking...it's there too, but it is pretty shallow item (3 to 15). I guess I pass those levels so fast that it just didn't have time to get generated. Also I haven't got many games in 3.2 because this rapid development.

Comment

• SSK
                                Adept
                                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
                                In fact I don't recall seeing it at 3.2... checking...it's there too, but it is pretty shallow item (3 to 15). I guess I pass those levels so fast that it just didn't have time to get generated. Also I haven't got many games in 3.2 because this rapid development.
                                Yeah, I'm finding that a rapid dive to about level 16 works well for me (I think umber hulks and hummerhorns are native to something like 850 ft). Then I try to get some source of r confu and see invisible before heading to level 32 or so for stat gain, so I haven't noticed salt water either.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎