X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kroiz
    Rookie
    • Oct 2007

Tip request to survive invisible foes

I was killed by something I can not see on level 14. (That is very deep for me )
    Could you please tip me on how to avoid that?
    When I decended I did packed some detect invisible scrolls, but those don't last very long.
  • Mondkalb
    Knight
    • Apr 2007

Besides those scrolls there are also staffs of detect invisible and potions (much better, because the effect lasts longer).
    All of these are only of little help.
    Until you get an item that grants see invisible, visit the black market often. Hopefully there will be a ring of see invisible finaly.

You should also watch out for an enchanted weapon (fo exeample a weapon of
    Westernesse) which grants see invisible.
    Even a cursed bow or crossbow of the nazgul could help (uncurse it). The give also si.
    My Angband winners so far

My FAangband efforts so far

Comment

• Pete Mack
      Prophet
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by kroiz
      I was killed by something I can not see on level 14. (That is very deep for me )
      Could you please tip me on how to avoid that?
      When I decended I did packed some detect invisible scrolls, but those don't last very long.
      There are various partial answers:
      You can carry a Staff or scrolls of Detect Invisible.
      If you are a Priest/Paladin you can detect evil (most dangerous, invisible monsters are evil.) Eventually you will get See Invisible as a spell.

And if you happen to have !See Invisible from the black market, that's even better.

But the real answer is:
      when in doubt, teleport away. Use scrolls from the black market or a staff from the magic shop.

Comment

• andrewdoull
        Unangband maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Pete Mack
        But the real answer is:
        when in doubt, teleport away. Use scrolls from the black market or a staff from the magic shop.
        You might get lucky and be able to confront it in a hallway - run away if you can't teleport away, or phase door may be useful here to move to a better nearby location.

Be aware that many invisible creatures can also pass through walls, and this tactic should be reversed - using area of effect spells in a room to confront these monsters instead.

Andrew
        The Roflwtfzomgbbq Quylthulg summons L33t Paladins -more-
        In UnAngband, the level dives you.
        ASCII Dreams: http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com
        Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com

Comment

• Mondkalb
          Knight
          • Apr 2007

For beginners it might also be wise to choose a race with the see invisible ability like high elf or at least infravision. The latter won't help for long as ghosts and other invisible creatures are cold blooded.

Comment

• kroiz
            Rookie
            • Oct 2007

Thanks, I will bring you Morgoth head on a plate in no time

Comment

• K.I.L.E.R
              Apprentice
              • May 2007

I just attack in all directions until I hit the thing and then keep hitting in that direction until it dies.

If I have trouble finding it, I move to the closest corridoor and when I have moved back into the corridoor far enough I reverse direction and the invisible thing will be killed without effort.

Comment

• Mondkalb
                Knight
                • Apr 2007

When you are surrounded by clear hounds you may still be dead before reaching a corridor.
                Also, clear worms and mushrooms can block the way and the mushrooms are breeding quite fast.

Comment

• aeneas
                  Adept
                  • Jun 2007

Were you playing a human? I'd stay away from humans as a beginner, for a number of reasons. There isn't much that should be killing you at 700' that can't be seen with infravision. But Pete is right- means of escape is _the_ key tactic in Angband. For instance, if you have a big stack of ?teleport_level you will never die if you don't put yourself in a position where you can be killed in a single turn.

Comment

• APWhite
                    Adept
                    • Jul 2007

When battling invisible guys, I will often drop food rations on the ground all around me on adjacent squares. If I am lucky the invisible guy will land on and pick up a ration, when I see the food vanish, I know where he is (at least for that round.) I can at least get a single hit on it.
                    St George Chiropractor
                    Angband Borg Homepage

Comment

• kroiz
                      Rookie
                      • Oct 2007

Oh that is very cool, I like that.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰