X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kethis
    Rookie
    • Jun 2008

Ready to take on Morgy?

So, any advice about what else do I need before taking on Morgoth?
    Attached Files
  • Derakon
    Prophet
    • Dec 2009

Well, you've set your recall depth to dlvl 100 already, I see.

Saving throw isn't maxed out, but 98% ought to be good enough. You're at minor risk of being hit by brainsmashing attacks, but that's about it.

Why are you carrying:
    * All those rods? You have a detection spell. Elemental balls do pathetic damage at this point. Teleport other has a failure rate. Speed is just a waste of an inventory slot.
    * Staves of Teleportation? You can't be blinded or confused, so that use case is out. They have a failure rate, so your spells are better. And blind teleporting is extremely dangerous anyway, so you should be avoiding it as much as possible.
    * Angrist and Eorlingas? Seems like Durin should be strictly better, barring minor speed differences.

Consider using Narya instead of Nenya. The fire immunity will allow you to carry only one of each of your four basic spellbooks, saving on weight. Running around with 2 each, as you are now, is too few IMO, so if you don't swap rings then you should buy more books.

Swapping in an amulet of Trickery would let you use your Cloak of the Magi instead of Colluin, gaining you some speed and quite a lot of stealth. You can cast Resistance so Colluin's activation is not needed. The main concern would be being at 18/210 INT; check your spell failure rates. If you don't do this particular swap, try Ingwe instead of the Magi amulet. If nothing else the extra WIS point should boost your saving throw.

Your home has no consumables whatsoever, favoring instead hoarding of not-very-useful artifacts. You should have been stockpiling all the Healing, *Healing*, Life, and Restore Mana potions you found all game here, as well as emergency Destruction scrolls. Just as an example, I would not have kept the following items this late in the game: Weaponmastery amulet, Carlammas, Phial, Paurnimmen, Fingolfin, Mundwine, Avavir, Erebor. It is still possible to kill Morgoth without those consumables, but it's harder. Buy up lots and lots of Cure Critical Wounds potions from the Temple (every time you buy our their entire stock of all items, they'll bring in new stock, so you don't have to townscum). Fight in a destructed area, and when you need to heal, teleport Morgoth away (or if there's too many summons in the area, phase door) and chug CCW potions. Make certain you aren't full from a recent Satisfy Hunger or they'll slow you down.

Otherwise your equipment looks pretty solid.

Comment

• dos350
      Knight
      • Sep 2010

did u hav potions?~ ee
      ~eek

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++

Comment

• Philip
        Knight
        • Jul 2009

Mages are good at avoiding use of scrolls in the final fight, priests potions. Make sure that you have one of those, since you seem not to know too much about the game, I'll gice you a hint. If you cast Word of Destruction in radius of Morgoth, you have to go up and down stairs so he respawns. If you have any progress against Morgy already, try to avoid casting unless you teleport him first.

Comment

• LostTemplar
          Knight
          • Aug 2009

Yes, you will probably have to recharge rods of healing, use staves of magi, dont let him hit you in melee, use rift if he gets close. About elemental rods, they are nothing great, but what else mage need to carry ? 9 books, stack or two of healing devices, stack of magi, thats all, 11 (12) slots, you have 12 (11) more for various fun junk.

Comment

• Kethis
            Rookie
            • Jun 2008

Okay, lots to respond to. Thanks for taking the time to be thorough.

Originally posted by Derakon
            Well, you've set your recall depth to dlvl 100 already, I see.

Saving throw isn't maxed out, but 98% ought to be good enough. You're at minor risk of being hit by brainsmashing attacks, but that's about it.
            Thanks. Yes, Sauron wasn't too much trouble, then I established a beach-head at lvl100 and did a little exploring - Teleporting Morgoth around/away as I wandered. So I'd Recalled to town to sell/reprovision...

Why are you carrying:
            * All those rods? You have a detection spell. Elemental balls do pathetic damage at this point. Teleport other has a failure rate. Speed is just a waste of an inventory slot.
            * Staves of Teleportation? You can't be blinded or confused, so that use case is out. They have a failure rate, so your spells are better. And blind teleporting is extremely dangerous anyway, so you should be avoiding it as much as possible.
            * Angrist and Eorlingas? Seems like Durin should be strictly better, barring minor speed differences.
            The rods were handy for saving mana (in the case of Detection, Teleport Other, Speed, etc) and damage a few levels back (elementals).

Consider using Narya instead of Nenya. The fire immunity will allow you to carry only one of each of your four basic spellbooks, saving on weight. Running around with 2 each, as you are now, is too few IMO, so if you don't swap rings then you should buy more books.
            Sounds good. Would sacrificing speed for both Narya and Nenya be a viable alternative?

Swapping in an amulet of Trickery would let you use your Cloak of the Magi instead of Colluin, gaining you some speed and quite a lot of stealth. You can cast Resistance so Colluin's activation is not needed. The main concern would be being at 18/210 INT; check your spell failure rates. If you don't do this particular swap, try Ingwe instead of the Magi amulet. If nothing else the extra WIS point should boost your saving throw.

Your home has no consumables whatsoever, favoring instead hoarding of not-very-useful artifacts. You should have been stockpiling all the Healing, *Healing*, Life, and Restore Mana potions you found all game here, as well as emergency Destruction scrolls. Just as an example, I would not have kept the following items this late in the game: Weaponmastery amulet, Carlammas, Phial, Paurnimmen, Fingolfin, Mundwine, Avavir, Erebor. It is still possible to kill Morgoth without those consumables, but it's harder. Buy up lots and lots of Cure Critical Wounds potions from the Temple (every time you buy our their entire stock of all items, they'll bring in new stock, so you don't have to townscum). Fight in a destructed area, and when you need to heal, teleport Morgoth away (or if there's too many summons in the area, phase door) and chug CCW potions. Make certain you aren't full from a recent Satisfy Hunger or they'll slow you down.

Otherwise your equipment looks pretty solid.
            Thanks again. I kept many of the artifacts, not knowing what would make for a good combination for the end game. I started out not taking connected stairs to avoid any temptation to stairscum. I'll sell a lot of it now before stocking up on the CCWs, Healings, etc from the Temple and Blackmarket (gold isn't much of an issue), and Satisfy Hunger will remove the effects of being overfull, if it comes to that. I'll make the adjustments and keep you posted.

Philip and Lost Templar - thanks and noted.

Dos350: No, just the occasional Restore Mana Potion. Lets say this has mostly been a dry run! Nimbin, huh? More familiar with Jiggi, The Channon, Dunoon, Corndale, etc. And is that cap from Diablo?

Comment

• Kethis
              Rookie
              • Jun 2008

Why are you carrying:
              They were just the better finds from the last foray... Would like to find a better ranged weapon. Not that this character has fired an arrow or bolt as yet, but I've previously seen bows that include a nice bump to speed.

Comment

• Ycombinator
                Adept
                • Apr 2010

The main concern would be being at 18/210 INT; check your spell failure rates.
                IIRC intelligence stops affecting fail rates and mana pool at 18/200 (as well as constitution stops affecting HP, not so sure about other stats).

Comment

• Philip
                  Knight
                  • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Ycombinator
                  IIRC intelligence stops affecting fail rates and mana pool at 18/200 (as well as constitution stops affecting HP, not so sure about other stats).
                  That's not what I noticed, my spell failure rate went from 3% to 0% on rift when I moved from 18/200 to 18/***.

Comment

• Derakon
                    Prophet
                    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Kethis
                    The rods were handy for saving mana (in the case of Detection, Teleport Other, Speed, etc) and damage a few levels back (elementals).
                    I'm surprised you got anything approaching worthwhile damage out of attack rods. Detection isn't normally cast in combat scenarios, so preserving mana shouldn't be an issue. Teleport Other I wouldn't use simply because as a mage spells have a zero-percent failure rate, but rods don't, and when I need something teleported away I generally don't want the attempt to fail.

Sounds good. Would sacrificing speed for both Narya and Nenya be a viable alternative?
                    That'd put you at rather low speed. You ideally want to be around +30 when fighting Morgoth, which means +20 from equipment and +10 from hasting.

Thanks again. I kept many of the artifacts, not knowing what would make for a good combination for the end game. I started out not taking connected stairs to avoid any temptation to stairscum. I'll sell a lot of it now before stocking up on the CCWs, Healings, etc from the Temple and Blackmarket (gold isn't much of an issue), and Satisfy Hunger will remove the effects of being overfull, if it comes to that. I'll make the adjustments and keep you posted.
                    The problem with relying on Satisfy Hunger to clear gorging is that it takes a turn -- actually two turns compared to not getting gorged since the turn you spend clearing it is at -10 speed. Better to just not have to deal with it at all. Worst case you can go find some saltwater potions (or mushrooms of purging) to carry with you.

Comment

• dos350
                      Knight
                      • Sep 2010

kethis nice to know u know my area, ee ~! yes is cap of diablo2
                      ~eek

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++

Comment

• zaimoni
                        Knight
                        • Apr 2007

I'm surprised you got anything approaching worthwhile damage out of attack rods.
                        The damage is always worthwhile if the a priori calculated kill rate is high enough.

Admittedly, fire and cold are resisted so much that the most practical ones, generally, are acid and lightning.
                        Zaiband: end the "I shouldn't have survived that" experience. V3.0.6 fork on Hg.
                        Zaiband 3.0.10 ETA Mar. 7 2011 (Yes, schedule slipped. Latest testing indicates not enough assert() calls to allow release.)
                        Z.C++: pre-alpha C/C++ compiler system (usable preprocessor). Also on Hg. Z.C++ 0.0.10 ETA December 31 2011

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                          Prophet
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Philip
                          That's not what I noticed, my spell failure rate went from 3% to 0% on rift when I moved from 18/200 to 18/***.
                          Limit changes from more than 0% to 0% at that point, but not the actual failure rate. With less than 18/200 you have non-zero failure with every spell.

With other stats there are also minor effects with over 18/200 stats, STR has major: 18/200 -> 18/220 increases your damage output by 4 points, which makes gauntlets of power sometimes more powerful than artifact ones.

[edit] typo corrected (less - more)
                          Last edited by Timo Pietilä; February 11, 2011, 08:58.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎