X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shell
    Rookie
    • Nov 2007

Word of Recall

I used to play. Isn't there a way to inscribe a Word of Recall to have it pick a certain depth?

Something like @1000 for level 10?

Anybody know?
  • Bandobras
    Knight
    • Apr 2007

Nope, use the stairs. Nor in any variants I know. Somewhat related: I don't know if V has reset recall (to the level you recall from), but probably not, either. In variants with wilderness, just choose another dungeon...

Comment

• shell
      Rookie
      • Nov 2007

Ahh!

Found it. It's in Mangband. Inscribe with @R400 and it takes you to that depth.

Too bad! That was a great feature.

Comment

• zaimoni
        Knight
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Bandobras
        Somewhat related: I don't know if V has reset recall (to the level you recall from),
        While there have been some long-standing questions about whether to eliminate this, it's still there in all recent versions of V.
        Zaiband: end the "I shouldn't have survived that" experience. V3.0.6 fork on Hg.
        Zaiband 3.0.10 ETA Mar. 7 2011 (Yes, schedule slipped. Latest testing indicates not enough assert() calls to allow release.)
        Z.C++: pre-alpha C/C++ compiler system (usable preprocessor). Also on Hg. Z.C++ 0.0.10 ETA December 31 2011

Comment

• will_asher
          DaJAngband Maintainer
          • Apr 2007

Why would they get rid of it?
          Will_Asher
          aka LibraryAdventurer

My old variant DaJAngband:
          http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)

Comment

• zaimoni
            Knight
            • Apr 2007

"Long-standing" := "since before V2.9.3". The prompt goes useless as the player gets more experienced.

Once you have reasonable access to some form of Detect Traps, there really is no point to "reset recall level" in any form since it's completely controllable anyway. The prompt is just a hassle when you're intentionally oscillating between two DL's because you don't think you're ready for the next one.

Most miscalculations in that regard are revealed in-game only when it's too late (e.g., one-breath instant death, surrounded by breeding confusers without confusion resistance, Time Hounds without telepathy, etc.), so again no real use.
            Zaiband: end the "I shouldn't have survived that" experience. V3.0.6 fork on Hg.
            Zaiband 3.0.10 ETA Mar. 7 2011 (Yes, schedule slipped. Latest testing indicates not enough assert() calls to allow release.)
            Z.C++: pre-alpha C/C++ compiler system (usable preprocessor). Also on Hg. Z.C++ 0.0.10 ETA December 31 2011

Comment

• will_asher
              DaJAngband Maintainer
              • Apr 2007

The use is when you go to a level which you realize is too deep for you (and survive that realization). And there's no drawback to having that option.
              Will_Asher
              aka LibraryAdventurer

My old variant DaJAngband:
              http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)

Comment

• K.I.L.E.R
                Apprentice
                • May 2007

Learn from your mistake next time.

Comment

• fink
                  Rookie
                  • Nov 2007

Nah, it can't be just us MAngband people who have this feature - what other variants use it?

Comment

• Daven_26d1
                    Adept
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by zaimoni
                    Once you have reasonable access to some form of Detect Traps, there really is no point to "reset recall level" in any form since it's completely controllable anyway.
                    Simply not true, the prompt is a potential (though rarely so) lifesaver for inexperienced/unspoiled players who dived too deep, and managed to live to tell the tale. Having to climb to safety once, not on every recall is good thing. In removing the prompt I would want all recalls to "reset".

The prompt is just a hassle when you're intentionally oscillating between two DL's because you don't think you're ready for the next one.
                    By "hassle" we are talking about hitting one extra key once per dive, of course...actually more hassle for those players who have chronic stair-scummitis, a good thing in my book! =)

@K.I.L.E.R:- "learn from your mistake" is all well and good, but without major use of spoilers, or tedious note-taking, who in the 9 hells can learn the native depths of all monsters so well that after a long break from the game they still have full depth-savvy upon replay?
                    Last edited by Daven_26d1; November 29, 2007, 12:20.
                    You sold a Broken Sword (1d2) (-2,-4) {average} (j) for 1 gold.
                    The shopkeeper howls in agony!
                    You say "Dude, the clue is in the name...".

Comment

• zaimoni
                      Knight
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Daven_26d1
                      Simply not true, the prompt is a potential (though rarely so) lifesaver for inexperienced/unspoiled players who dived too deep, and managed to live to tell the tale. Having to climb to safety once, not on every recall is good thing. In removing the prompt I would want all recalls to "reset".
                      Which breaks the oscillation strategy I mentioned (loot levels until out of expendable inventory space). If I was removing the prompt, "never reset".

Comment

• Daven_26d1
                        Adept
                        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by zaimoni
                        Which breaks the oscillation strategy I mentioned (loot levels until out of expendable inventory space). If I was removing the prompt, "never reset".
                        Interesting that I we have different opinions on the prompt for exactly the same reason: You dislike it because it breaks the strategy of oscillating between two floors, I like it because it annoys stair scummers! ;P

EDIT - always resetting doesn't really break the strategy, either, if you are oscillating then you'll still recall to one of those floors, if you want to recall to the deeper one, recall to town from that floor as usual.

I think the best solution all round is an option in '='.
                        You sold a Broken Sword (1d2) (-2,-4) {average} (j) for 1 gold.
                        The shopkeeper howls in agony!
                        You say "Dude, the clue is in the name...".

Comment

• nobody
                          Apprentice
                          • Jul 2007

you don't need to remember the native depth of every creature to learn not to dive too fast.

Comment

• aeneas
                            Adept
                            • Jun 2007

Actually, I can think of one potential use of reset, though it's a bit abusive, IMHO. If you have a stealthy character who you don't think you could keep alive indefinitely at 3750 you could drop there fast, grab a big RoS and whatever else you could get in the process, and then return to 2500' to complete your kit/finish stat gain. It's counter to my playstyle- once you are at 3750 you will get what you need to stay alive there pretty quickly, or die trying. But I imagine it would be effective, particularly if you are wiling to stair scum/use create stairs.

Comment

• Seany C
                              Swordsman
                              • Apr 2007

That's quite easily doable for some variants with shafts such as ToME and FAa... it's rather scummy but it would work quite well for quick grabs ...(although I suspect perma-awake monsters like Zs would get you sooner rather than later once below 2500)

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎