X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sirridan
    Knight
    • May 2009

Getting con!

My current mage is in the lower 50 dlvls (55-57) and I can go much deeper if I wanted, however I only have 199 hp, and 18/24 con. Randarts and =con have been mean to me, giving no con worth anything whatsoever (one =con+2 so far)

Where should I hang around to farm up !con? Or should I just go for broke and be uber-paranoid going down to the bottom?

Also clvl 28 or 29 now.
  • Derakon
    Prophet
    • Dec 2009

You get !con where you get all the other gain-stat potions (except !cha, obviously). In the old days I'd say to hunt out troll pits, but with the new drop algorithms I wouldn't know of a specific place to go to search them out. I guess wherever you can get a steady supply of !enlightenment so you can enter a level, chug a potion, check for gain stat on the ground, and grab it.

As for diving, well, you have too few hitpoints for your current depth, so it's not like it'll change your survivability much.

Comment

• Magnate
      Angband Devteam member
      • May 2007

Originally posted by Sirridan
      My current mage is in the lower 50 dlvls (55-57) and I can go much deeper if I wanted, however I only have 199 hp, and 18/24 con. Randarts and =con have been mean to me, giving no con worth anything whatsoever (one =con+2 so far)

Where should I hang around to farm up !con? Or should I just go for broke and be uber-paranoid going down to the bottom?

Also clvl 28 or 29 now.
      I've been in that situation, and so has Eddie. The good news is - you don't have to worry about resists, since a single breath will kill you whether you resist it or not ...

I would keep going, and optimise your kit for stealth ...
      "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Sirridan
        Knight
        • May 2009

Originally posted by Magnate
        I've been in that situation, and so has Eddie. The good news is - you don't have to worry about resists, since a single breath will kill you whether you resist it or not ...

I would keep going, and optimise your kit for stealth ...
        I was kinda slot-locked, couldn't afford to wear any +stealth. Anyway, died because a death drake went through the wall and breathed nether. My stupid mistake for sleeping on the level when I knew it was there (Very Good stealth only )

So, next one will power his way down to stat gain, quaff only !intellect and !toughness +1/-1's, and hopefully I can get higher / max con before I get bored and dive again.

One more thing, is there any way I can take rings of the mouse off the squelch worthless? They are exceedingly good for lower level mages.

Comment

• Estie
          Veteran
          • Apr 2008

Uh after you find your first = of mouse and it gets squelched, go to options -> squelch -> quality squelch and uncheck ring of mouse.

Comment

• Magnate
            Angband Devteam member
            • May 2007

I was kinda slot-locked, couldn't afford to wear any +stealth. Anyway, died because a death drake went through the wall and breathed nether. My stupid mistake for sleeping on the level when I knew it was there (Very Good stealth only )

So, next one will power his way down to stat gain, quaff only !intellect and !toughness +1/-1's, and hopefully I can get higher / max con before I get bored and dive again.

One more thing, is there any way I can take rings of the mouse off the squelch worthless? They are exceedingly good for lower level mages.
            If you're playing nightlies they are no longer squelched as worthless, but you have to set your Quality squelch submenu to NOT squelch "bad" rings.
            "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Sirridan
              Knight
              • May 2009

Originally posted by Estie
              Uh after you find your first = of mouse and it gets squelched, go to options -> squelch -> quality squelch and uncheck ring of mouse.
              They aren't set as squelched like that, tried to already in older versions.

@Magnate, I'll check that out, thanks

Comment

• Estie
                Veteran
                • Apr 2008

They aren't set as squelched like that, tried to already in older versions.

@Magnate, I'll check that out, thanks
                Not ? Weird, I am sure I used this back when I still played with squelch worthless, though it wasnt rings of mouse I wanted to except. It was....something like ring of strength, when the first found was cursed and had negative pval, they got thrown into the "worthless" basket.

Anyway, these days I go to the trouble of manually squelching every unwanted flavour I find. It isnt that much more keypresses and lets me customize every class.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎