X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Entropy_93
    Rookie
    • Dec 2010

At 1050' Without WoR

Well, hello everyone. I got myself into a pretty bad position with a character I've invested a lot of time in, so I figured I'd ask for some help.

I've got a level 25 human rogue and was treasure hunting at 1100' when my two WoR scrolls were destroyed. I managed to get myself up to 1050', but now I'm having trouble getting past hordes of hounds, trolls, and dark elves to get to the up stairs and I'm beginning to run out of healing and buffing potions.

Any advice, suggestions, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Entropy
  • dos350
    Knight
    • Sep 2010

hi, im new and cant help much- but this has happened to me a few times at varying depths (max like lvl 40, eek~) anyway i hate to say it but it is usually death...

id reccomend detecting treasure and scumming for scrolls.. but thats only my new theory, before i would have dived, detecting as i go hoping for recall.. you will get lucky if you can survive it imo, gl~
    ~eek

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++

Comment

• buzzkill
      Prophet
      • May 2008

Take any stairs and hope for a better dungeon level on the way back up again. At the very least you'll have a better chance of things being and remaining asleep. Maybe you'll even find a WoR. Don't you have a detect treasure spell???
      www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
      My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Derakon
        Prophet
        • Dec 2009

Just keep adventuring until you find Word of Recall. It shouldn't take too long, and in the meantime you can experience the ironman lifestyle. Keep an eye on your light source and food supplies and you should be fine.

Comment

• Magnate
          Angband Devteam member
          • May 2007

Originally posted by Derakon
          Just keep adventuring until you find Word of Recall. It shouldn't take too long, and in the meantime you can experience the ironman lifestyle. Keep an eye on your light source and food supplies and you should be fine.
          Wow, massive disrespect for the RNG there from Derakon. If you lose your last ?WoR, you should flee for the surface. People have done this from 3000' - you're only at about 1000', so it should be easy. If you can't reach the up stairs on a given level, go back down and then up again. Eventually you will get to the surface - or find ?WoR en route.

You ignore the RNG at your peril - if you keep on going down I guarantee you will never find another ?WoR ....!
          "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• LostTemplar
            Knight
            • Aug 2009

Why you ever want to go back to town? Just go kill Morgoth. It is still hundred times simpler then ironman, since you can stairscum.

Comment

• Entropy_93
              Rookie
              • Dec 2010

Thanks for the help everyone! I went down then back up and managed to make it to 1000'. After taking out a group of paladins I recovered a WoR. My rogue is safe and back in the town.

Thanks again!
              Entropy

Comment

• Seany C
                Swordsman
                • Apr 2007

More general preventative advice: once you're below 500', you should have enough cash for a few WoRs. Personally, I like to have a stack of 4 when I finish shopping - one to get back down and three to carry around the dungeon. That way, if one gets burnt, I keep an eye on my inventory and if the second gets burnt, I'm outathere straight away (by reading the last one).

Ironically, I'm currently wandering through the FaA wilderness with no WoRs but that's due to both visited towns being out of stock and being too impatient to wait around for scrolls...

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎